Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel pump base fitment to case
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: fuel pump base fitment to case Reply with quote

Bought an aftermarket fuel pump rod guide. It does not fit the hole in the case very well. Much smaller in diameter so it will not fit the hole over the distributor drive.

Can i stil use it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBf_lgvmgVY
[/vimeo]
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump base fitment to case Reply with quote

I wonder if that base was made intentionally smaller so it wouldn't get stuck in the engine case????

How well does the pushrod fit in the new base?
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump base fitment to case Reply with quote

My aftermarket one from WW was a total peice of shit. The spacer portion was over 2mm thicker on one side, effectively making it so the pump would get installed crooked. Instead of messing with it I just cleaned off a used one. The new reproduction ones are trash...
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump base fitment to case Reply with quote

I just got one of these too and as soon as I slipped it in the case and felt it, I just threw it away 30 seconds after it came out of the package. Oh well, I think it was like $7 or something.

I can't stand the thought of that flexing every time the distributor drive gear pushes the pump rod up.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump base fitment to case Reply with quote

Push rod is pretty loose..
Don't remember how the stock was.

If i buy one from a local vw dealer, will it be better?
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump base fitment to case Reply with quote

bcrazy wrote:
Push rod is pretty loose..
Don't remember how the stock was.

If i buy one from a local vw dealer, will it be better?

No, the new ones are a crap shoot. You're best chance is to buy a used one on here or ebay.

Honestly I didn't remember having a problem with the fit into the case. I dont think it's supposed be very tight... also the new one was actually fine as far as the fit of the actual rod inside the hole, that is not supposed to be tight either (my original VW one was identical in that regard.) But the new ones have other issues like a crooked mating surface which is the bigger problem. Check the thickness of the spacer part all around with calipers, mine was ground at a major angle. The top was not parallel to the mating surface, it was thicker on one side, if that gives you the picture. I could have tried machining it flat, but then it would be too thin and would need another spacer made to make up the difference... more hassle than it was worth for me since I had a used one.
bcrazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump base fitment to case Reply with quote

The spacer is the same height on both sides.
Was more worrried about the lack of support on the rod towards the distributor drive.

But if this is all that is available, i guess many people run them without issues?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump base fitment to case Reply with quote

I found one like that a few years ago,
briefly considered sleeving it so it would fit the case,
but when I found the pushrod hole was too big just I threw it away.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: