Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
Looks nice. The fuzzy felt would help with the glass grabbing the rubber and sucking it into the door. I am going to glue in the inside scrapers tonight. I pushed the clips into the scrapers to get them ready to just pop in, thats how I did the outside set. Not enough room to get them in now, so I had to ruin the clips pulling them back out. I have extras to push in tonight. I bought some felt they called "moleskin", its fine felt with adhesive on the back, its supposed to protect window tinting from getting scratches. I will put that on the scrapers so they don't grab the glass. Somebody posted that these need a little of the rubber trimmed back, I will see after I get everything in with the glass.

As to the clips that come with the kit. They are crap! Like they skipped the step of spring hardening the metal (the most important step IMO). I used as many original clips as I could find, and found more in the bottom of the door. I used a moleskin like product with an adhesive backing on the inside lip of the scrapers too, only I also used super glue to hold them on. Seems like no one cares to make a proper kit. Probably not enough money in it for them. I made what I had work, but it took as long to properly prepare the scrapper to go in, as it did to actually put it in! If you're adding the moleskin felt, I don't think you need to trim them as long as you put the moleskin right to the edge of the rubber.

Another thing I did was to use golf tees to hold the spring clips in place while the glue set up.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
I will put that on the scrapers so they don't grab the glass.

The trick with the glass is talcum powder [baby power]. Coat the rubber scrapers with them as you install. Clean the glass well then sprinkle some on the glass too. You can wipe it off [don't use more window cleaner] and it'll be clean and clear and the windows will glide up and down really easy.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
The trick with the glass is talcum powder [baby power].

^^^THIS^^^ -- Amen!

Also works great for lubrication when installing vent window glass and seals into their mating frames, etc.

One word of caution, though -- real talcum powder is what you want to be using, and not the corn starch (or similar) which is commonly used in a lot of "baby powders" nowadays.

To the best of my knowledge, the original / men's formulation of "Anti Monkey Butt" powder is made from actual talcum powder, and not corn starch. That's what I used when rebuilding / restoring all the rubber window seals and related guts in my car's doors -- worked great!

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Haven't found any original clips available for sale.

What I have found was a YouTube video SAYING the outside clips would work for the inside scraper as well.

Anyone confirm these from Heritage would be better than the empi ones included in the kit? SHipping is a tad steep but.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
NachoCar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

video link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrugdxqjmAM
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrappers Reply with quote

Scrappers.....or scrapers....

Could somebody correct the title of this thread? Confused
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1 piece window trouble need good inner/outer scrapers Reply with quote

title fixed.
Inside and outside scraper clips are different dimensions if I remember correctly. You can probably use the larger thicker ones in place of the smaller thinner ones, but you will have to obviously make the hole larger.
I am not fond of the aftermarket clips, they seem to be too soft. You have to squish them together to get them in the hole, they stay squished. I thought about trying to heat treat them myself and harden them up a little (more like spring steel), but I did not. I even abandoned trying to use the VW window style scrapers.
Marion, Iowa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: