Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

So in a previous post I did I had an obvious spring problem. Everytime I was under the Syncro I always looked at it from the day I bought it and it registered as funny.
My brain just didn't click on it.
Cudos to Mark Ward who caught it in about 3 seconds or less when I posted a picture.

Needed new springs so I took advantage of Burley Motor Sports "Fire Sale"
where he has posted new Schwenks Springs that had the packaging burn down around them. The fire temp was not enough to destroy the temper of the metal.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2308037

The springs are fine, just light coating of rust because the paint burned off and some melted plastic bag melted onto the spring. a wire wheel removed that quick enough to repaint them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Painted nice and shiney. (I do not think the OEM VW spring was on there. It is a progressive coul that had collapsed on the 3 center coils.)

So I installed them and the very next day I found bits of black stuff under the Syncro.
The "new" spring pad just disintegrated. It was some new fangled technology and not made of the old fashioned rubber. I put the old pad back in, but it is not a perfect fit to match the coils.

So now my big question - who makes a good quality spring pad?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

x2
Quote:

My syncro has no pads at the moment. The problem might be with the pig tail. The factory pig tail likely fits the indent in the trailing arm better than some aftermarket springs might.

I was thinking maybe a rubber pad might work best.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
x2
Quote:

My syncro has no pads at the moment. The problem might be with the pig tail. The factory pig tail likely fits the indent in the trailing arm better than some aftermarket springs might.

I was thinking maybe a rubber pad might work best.

Definitely the pigtail did not help. You can see that the end of it was in the groove, but the wear pattern starts going outside the groove fairly quick.
I had hoped for more then a days use out of them!

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

Maybe conveyor belt material could work?

https://www.zoro.com/apache-inc-conveyor-belt-4ply-440-sbr-blk-18inw-20026815-18/i/G9593875/

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

I can try using the white cutting board material and mounting it without the spring fully squeezed. Then taking a paint heat gun to it to get the cutting board soft to deformed under the spring pressure. Think it would maybe take two people - one on the jack handle and one watching the deformation because you do not want to squeeze the spring all the way through the cutting board.
You csn probably do it with one person using a bottle jack under the trailing arm as opposed to a floor jack.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

Seems Burley would be the place to go. You need something that can contour but have some flex. Maybe some conveyor belt material.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

https://www.zoro.com/apache-inc-conveyor-belt-4ply-440-sbr-blk-18inw-20026815-18/i/G9593875/

That looks pretty good, but what use would you have for the remaining 14 -1/2' ?

Maybe make an Air Dam if it can hold it's shape againt the wind like my tractor trailer tire does now as my air dam.

It has a nice 18" width for an air dam,

Last edited by Steve M. on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Seems Burley would be the place to go. You need something that can contour but have some flex. Maybe some conveyor belt material.

First place I checked. Nothing showing on his website for the upper pads.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

Oops, thought those were the lower pads. For the upper, you could probably with patience cut something out of a used tire.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Oops, thought those were the lower pads. For the upper, you could probably with patience cut something out of a used tire.

Mark, I've done tires and cutting those steel bands I don't want to cut again ! :wink
That's 9" wide truck tire for my air dam.:

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
dobryan wrote:

That looks pretty good, but what use would you have for the remaining 14 -1/2' ?

Maybe make an Air Dam if it can hold it's shape againt the wind like my tractor trailer tire does now as my air dam.

It has a nice 18" width for an air dam,

Yeah, that was an example, not necessarily saying to buy that specific one. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

Quote:

Mark, I've done tires and cutting those steel bands I don't want to cut again ! :wink

I could look around the shop for a used up racing slick. They don't contain steel cords. Let me know.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Quote:

I could look around the shop for a used up racing slick. They don't contain steel cords. Let me know.

Thanks for the offer Mark.
Let's give the thread some time. I know I'm not the only one who's installed them so hoping somebody will chime in that has them.
There are a few stores online that sell urethane pads, but I'm hoping to hear some experiences about them.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

Did the air dam improve mileage? Feel free to respond in this thread on air dams, not spring pads. Thanks.

p.s. It's always nice to see pics of your van

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

D@mn . . . nice price for merely cosmetic damage...

Anyone have any hot (HAHA!) deals on 2wd springs, with or without pads...??? <shrug>

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

OE part number appears to be 701 511 147 Not very common number on the google. My hunch is you could probably find a Moog part that would work.

Another option would be to slide a piece of hose over the end of the coil. That would keep if from metal on metal.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

Watching with interest as I bought a set of Schwenk springs recently (pre fire sale) but came withou pads, so will need to source something that works soon.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

Were your original pads toast? I bought fire sale springs last summer and just reused my old pads. He did include new lower spacers however, even though my originals were still good as well
I have not noticed any issues using the original upper pads. They seem to fit fine. What kind of fit issues are you having with the originals?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Burley's "FireSale" on Schwenk Springs. Need a Spring Pad now! Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
Were your original pads toast? I bought fire sale springs last summer and just reused my old pads. He did include new lower spacers however, even though my originals were still good as well
I have not noticed any issues using the original upper pads. They seem to fit fine. What kind of fit issues are you having with the originals?

One of my pads was ruined by the previous mech who installed the Seikel 120 progressive springs. Since he installed the top pad on the bottom I guess he felt he needed to do a full-ass job and not get the pigtail lined up on the pad instead of just doing it half-assed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: