Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowbuck SA grille
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowbuck SA grille Reply with quote

I bought the Hella 700 set for my front bumper and the second day I had them installed they broke taking the white cover off!
The part of the housing at the bottom that holds the lens in the housing is just weak. This broke off on one housing and I just had the other one break off last week when the white cover basically came apart from UV degradation.
You can super glue it back in place , but you need to add a metal cover to trustfully secure it.

Reading the reviews from Amazon users the quality of Hella has dropped drastically in the last years.

I am still using them, but I will not buy a Hella light made in the last ten years. I'd buy an old used one.
The light output is really good though.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stevied84westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowbuck SA grille Reply with quote

Greetings Campers.
Steve, I got a kit from Amazon deals and they are certainly made in India. The reviews confirm what you found. So, back they go but now onto the idea of the LED’s. Seems the power draw would be significantly less and for sure much less expensive and less depth issues. It appears the only down side is to the quality and replacement if they go south or north, depending of course, on your location.
Ideally, I like to have them on all the time and the smaller sized do have an appeal is design. Anybody out there pioneered the LED option yet?
Cheers,-Steve W.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Lowbuck SA grille Reply with quote

Just want to revive this thread. I like the mod but would prefer an LED solution. Can anyone recommend an LED lamp rather than H4? txs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Lowbuck SA grille Reply with quote

I finally got my home brew SA headlights installed. I was gifted a set of SA inner lights and had a spare grille on hand. I designed a ring and printed it in ABS. I got it to pretty much conform to the curves of the grille. I made it plenty deep and trimmed away excess behind the grille. I rattle can painted both grilles with Fusion Matte Black and it's holding up fine.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was going to try to mount some LED inners but when these came along I just went with them. I have LED outer lights and headlight relays so not too worried about current draw.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: