Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nankang CX668 tires
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

We need some new tires on the ride. I wanted to stick with as close to stock as I could. I ordered some Nankang CX668 Low Noise tires from Discount Tire Direct. They were $50 a piece.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have to say combined with an alignment it is rolling really good. I might need to lower the air pressure to get it riding a little smoother.

I will try and remember to do a longevity report on them.
propguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

I have mine for the past couple of years and they have been fine. I only drive about 2k miles per summer so will probably have to replace them due to age and not being worn out.
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

I've had 2 sets of those same Nankangs on my '66 that sees around 10k miles a year. They are pretty decent tires. I never had traction problems in any conditions except mud, including a couple trips in the snow. They do seem to wear out pretty fast in my opinion. Even with frequent rotations, my first set was on the wear bars at a little over 30k, with nice even wear across the tread. Second set fared better. I replaced them at about 4/32" tread left with around 35k on them. I could have probably run them out to around 40k but I was taking a cross-country trip and wanted new tires for that. But what do you really expect from a $50 tire. I'm now running some cheapo tires I got from work (tire shop) for like $40/tire. They are just called "Classic Radial" and seem to be a harder compound than the Nankangs. Probably a lot more info than you wanted but just thought I'd share my experience. Nice looking Beetle by the way!
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

supercub wrote:
They are just called "Classic Radial" and seem to be a harder compound than the Nankangs. Probably a lot more info than you wanted but just thought I'd share my experience. Nice looking Beetle by the way!

Great feedback. If I can get 30k out of them I am happy. I drive this car everyday, that is until my daughter gets her license.

Funny you mentioned Classic Radials. That is what was on the car, but they were dry rotted and worn heavily. I used the Classic's all this winter until I got the front end situated.

Thanks for the props. We are loving this car.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

Probably good to post this in the Official thread too
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247735
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Probably good to post this in the Official thread too
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247735

I will do that now. Thanks Everett.

Last edited by toxicavenger70 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

supercub wrote:
I've had 2 sets of those same Nankangs on my '66 that sees around 10k miles a year. They are pretty decent tires.

I bought a set of 4 of these for my '64 Beetle. I am not sure if it is the tire or the rims but people stopped me on the road and said the back tires (at least) are bouncing up and down. I did not feel it while driving but when I go over about 50 I imagine I can feel it. A mechanic put the car on a lift and we ran the motor and saw the out of round. I did not think to hold a stick to the rims to see if it is the wide 5s sprung or the tires... however for both rear tires to be that way makes me wonder if it might be the tires. Anyone encounter this?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

Yep my experience with that brand is they are pure trash Exclamation
two slipped belts in 7500 miles and the other two more than half wore out.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Yep my experience with that brand is they are pure trash Exclamation
two slipped belts in 7500 miles and the other two more than half wore out.

I have heard that about even some "classic car" tires that are expensive. So do you (or anyone else) have some recommendations for good tires? My wife wanted to haul my bug behind our RV so we had transportation when we went places but I do not want to trash the suspension.

Also on that line, is the "standard" VW tow bar very safe for longer distance towing? (V shaped from the hitch back to where we pin it to around the front axle).
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

NEXEN are the best I have found for stock size and I am down to 12000 miles a year from over 30000.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/tires/product-line/nexen-sb802-tires
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-SB802-Standard-Touring-All-Season-165-80R15-87T-Tire/850904504
https://www.amazon.com/Nexen-SB802-All-Season-Radial-Tire/dp/B079MNRB8L

Yes I have towed my bugs all over with a tow bar.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

I’ve had excellent results with Nankang tires, both the old, and new tread designs. I’ve been through at least three sets of the older tread on the front of my 74 Super, and would get around 25k miles out of a 145. I just put a set on of the CX668 tread design on the Super, and replaced an older set of Nankang’s on a friends 67 I acquired. The most recent set on the 67 balanced one out without any weights on an Empi 5-spoke, and the other with a 1/4 ounce. They were smooth as glass past 100 on the 67.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

These tires have been doing great. Not the best in the snow but they are doing what I expected of them.
muravr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

Hallo guys, I have bought a couple of Nankang CX 668 145R15 for the front axle of my '63 Cool
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

Today I unintentionally got to test the tire grip when a car decided to pull out in front me when I was doing 55 mph. My pants did not fair as good as they did. lol

I was really impressed considering their price point.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

I bought a set for my '61 about 5 years ago. I only put a couple thousand a year but they have been great. I have come to believe that they are about all the same anymore. I have good and bad off-brand tires....good and bad name brand. Only ones that I think are above the rest are Michelin....if you can afford them.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Nankang CX668 tires Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
I bought a set for my '61 about 5 years ago. I only put a couple thousand a year but they have been great. I have come to believe that they are about all the same anymore. I have good and bad off-brand tires....good and bad name brand. Only ones that I think are above the rest are Michelin....if you can afford them.

I have 6k on these tires now. For the price they have been great.

Michelin are okay, I did not like the stock ones that came on our Genesis. Personally one of my favorite tire companies right now are Nokian. But we all have brands we like more than others. I swore by Continentals for a long time but they longevity of them was always to short imo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: