Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
restcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

I bought a Thing that came with a boot for the convertible top. The front (inside) portion of the boot hangs down in the back of the cabin. It has two grommets on each side with two nylon straps with male and female clips. (See pictures)

I'm assuming these grommets and clips are used to secure the boot and tucking it up under the top, but don't know how it works or where to get the straps.

Any ideas?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

Did you contact The Thing Shop..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9613606&highlight=#9613606
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

Restcon-
Your top boot does not look like one from the Thing Shop.
The texture of the material, and the strap attachments look different.

I have Thing Shop top boot that I purchased at the end of last Summer.
It came with no instructions, etc.

It uses these strange over-engineered spring loaded buckles to secure the two straps.

I assume they go through the outermost loops on the vertical panel behind the rear seat. A really strange way to do this.

I am certainly open to suggestions if there is a better way to attach these straps.

Anyway, here's a photo:

The strap is threaded through the grommet, then through the loop on the body, then back through the grommet and into the buckle.

I have no idea if that's the "right way".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

I contacted ThingShop and JBugs and it's not a JBugs boot. Haven't heard back from Thing Shop, but from Mondshine's comment, it doesn't sound like it came from them either.

It looks like you're doing it right, Mondshine. At least your straps are less confusing than what I have and they work.

I suspect mine is the same loop and back in through the grommet, but the plastic clips don't fit through the grommet... how could it clip entering from front or back? The one clip allows tightening...?

Appreciate the brainstorming.
restcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

I think I figured out the bootstraps...

I was thinking the nylon straps were a solid connection to the plastic connectors but figured out that it probably uses a buckle type length adjuster that allows feeding the strap through the grommets. The straps feed through the adjuster and through the grommet and attach to the female end connector. The adjustable strap with the male connector goes over the female strap and under the boot and loops around a metal loop bracket behind the front seat.

Now the find some straps and buckles and test my theory.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

Restcon-

If you plan to re-do the straps, I think "D-rings" would be easier and faster, and more than enough to secure the thing.

I have concluded that the boot cover will never exactly conform to the shape of the interior, and lay perfectly flat.

Now that I have a new Thing Shop top, I am trying to keep the soft plastic back window as clean as possible, because dirt is the enemy of that soft plastic.

After a good 40 years in the Thingdom, I have found that even when folding the top as the owner's manual instructs, (and it is meant to keep the back window clean and protected) the back window still gets dirty, and dirt on the back window is like sandpaper when its jiggling around back there.
So now I am folding the top with the Thing Shop method (because that's the only way that the boot cover will work).

I only put my top up 2-3 times per year; and usually in a big hurry because I am getting rain soaked. Using the top boot cover adds a few minutes to the top-up / top-down procedure, so from now on, I will need to watch the radar more carefully, and stop pressing my luck when rain is possible.

Anyway, good luck with your project, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

Post a photo when you are done with the top boot-seems like you are headed in the right direction.

If you fold the top the way the Thing Shop indicates it is advisable to use some large waffle weave drying towels on both side of the window to keep it from getting marked up.
restcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

I will check out the video at the Thing Shop. D rings is a good idea. Definitely about the towels. But, not familiar with term "waffle weave."

The boot is not perfect, but it's way better looking than seeing the frame and top.

Definitely keep an eye on the radar. A Thing top is not easy to put up.

First time I took my new Thing to the VW mechanic he asked what was wrong with the Thing. I told him the power steering wasn't working, the a/c wasn't working and I couldn't find the button for the cruise control. Not a big laugh - maybe he had heard it before.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

Don't knock cruise control, it's great!

Nothing beats a Thing road trip, and cruise is a nice addition.
restcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

Wow. Tell me more.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

restcon wrote:
Wow. Tell me more.

Meet me in Flat Rock, NC on July 17, and I'll show you.
Good luck, Mondshine

restcon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible Top Boot Straps and Connectors Reply with quote

Sounds like fun! Thanks for the invite.

This was my previous 74 181.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: