Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiring diagram for only my 1971 super beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boombatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: wiring diagram for only my 1971 super beetle Reply with quote

where can i fing a good complete wiring diagram for only my 1971 super beetle please help and thank you
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here, go down along to find your yr

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
boombatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: need helping finding the correct wiring diagram Reply with quote

where can i fint the correct wiring diagram for my 71 super beetle everytime i try to find it it just gives me a diagram for a 71 standard beetle please help
mouser98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
HAYBOB VW71 SUPER BEETLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram for only my 1971 super beetle Reply with quote

I have a 1971 super beetle vin 1112500000 and it has a wiring spider web under the hood. I have look at the samba page on this and have some of the wiring figured out. But, the wiring loom doesnt match the color codes?

The pass through wiring is a question as all I can find is higher vin numbers which dont wash... Also the past owner took out the t blocks for some reason so all I have is wires... Trying to get it back to stock wiring and it a spider web.

Any idea's anyone?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram for only my 1971 super beetle Reply with quote

Pics of your trunk area behind the dash might be a starting place. Focus on the wire colors coming from the different harnesses of wires and the trunk side of the fuse box. There are basically the following collection of wire in sleeves:
    Main harness running between the dash area to the left rear seat and the engine.
    Lighting harness running along with the main that contains the rear lighting wires.
    Left front lighting.
    Left front brake switches and horn.
    Right front lighting.

Identify these different groups of wires and the wire colors in the sleeves.

Post pics of how the wires are junctioned if the T-connectors have been removed? Are they just taped together?

Which wires are specifically not the same color as the stock wiring diagram? Post pics of these wires with comments of what the wires are connected to.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
HAYBOB VW71 SUPER BEETLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram for only my 1971 super beetle Reply with quote

Front harnes
1. Gray wires combines with #2 to one connection
2. Gray wire combines with #1
3. Yellow black T block (horn)
4. White black
5. White to fuses #5 or #6 (head lights) 56A
6. Yellow to fuses #3 or #4 (head lights) 56B
7. Black green connect in a Terminal to ingnition switch black green (Right turn signals)
8. Black red
9. Brown
10. Black white connect in a Terminal to ignition switch black white(Left turn signals)
11. Black
12. Red terminal in with red out.
Ignition switch
1. Brown (connect terminal to brown to Turn Signal and emergency flasher relay)
2. Black white (connect in a Terminal double connection Front harness black white (Left turn signals) Terminal double goes to Emergency switch BL/White
3. Black white green (connect to J2 dimer )
4. Black yellow (goes to T1 turns into brown going to the Light switch)
5. Brown white (goes to T block to Brown (Horn)
6. Red black (goes to T3 with brown, Orange, Red black) Red black T goes to Red Starter solenodon
7. White (1970 diagram, White goes to H5 term B6 Horn button)
8. Red (Goes to the fuse block term #8 buse side)
9. Black wire with spad connecting to black spade ( Goes to the fuse block #11 buse side)
10. Gray
11. Brown (connect to T3 with red/black and white Orange. Brown to brown this goes to Turn Signal and Emergency Flasher relay)
12. Black green (connect in a T1 Black Green right turn signals)
Back Harness
1. Black red
2. Black green
3. Black white
4. Blue (might be oil sender to dash light)
5. Green
6. Gray black
7. Gray red
8. Black with spade connecting to Blue White
9. Red white
10. Red
11. Black

raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram for only my 1971 super beetle Reply with quote

Popcorn
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram for only my 1971 super beetle Reply with quote

I grouped the wire colors you posted into logical groups of wires that typically collect inside sleeve(s) to become a harness of wires. All wire colors align with the wiring diagram above. If your wires have been replaced they may not match and you will need to transpose the wire colors.

Right front lights
    Gray wire - Parking/marker light (from fuse #1 OUTPUT)
    Black/green - Right turn signal from T2 4-way junction (four black/green wires)
    Yellow/black - Right low beam (from fuse #3 OUTPUT)
    White/black - Right high beam (from fuse #5 OUTPUT)
    Brown - Ground wire for headlight and parking/turn signal assembly. Grounds just after the wire enters the trunk.

Left front lights
    Gray wire - Parking/marker light (from fuse #1 OUTPUT)
    Black/white - Left turn signal from T2 4-way junction (four black/white wires)
    Yellow - Left low beam (from fuse #4 OUTPUT)
    White - Left high beam (from fuse #5 OUTPUT)
    Brown - Ground wire for headlight and parking/turn signal assembly. Grounds just after the wire enters the trunk.

Left front brakes & horn
    Black - Brake & Horn power (from fuse #10 OUTPUT) to T3 where it splits into Black wire to MC switches; Black/yellow to horn (+)
    Black/red - OUTPUT from MC brake switches to rear brake lights via T3. A single wire runs to the rear where it splits into a left and a right.
    Red - OUTPUT from MC brake switches to Brake Warning lamp
    Brown - Horn (-) wire to turn signal switch assembly via T3. When this wire is grounded the horn sounds.

Ignition switch (D) - In the wiring diagram the entire steering column appears as a single device, but it is made up of the ignition/starter switch (D), the turn signal & headlight dimmer switch (E2) and the horn button (H). That is actually 5 switches inside three assemblies (ignition switch electrical, turn signal switch assembly, horn button).
    Red - #30 constant battery 12v+ INPUT (from fuse #8 INPUT)
    Black - #15 ignition switched OUTPT (to fuse #11 INPUT)
    Red/black - #50 OUTPUT to starter solenoid via T5 where it turns into a solid red wire
    Black/yellow - #X OUTOUT to headlight switch X terminal. This powers the headlights.
    Grey - #SU OUTPUT ground to door buzzer via door switch while key is inserted

Turn signal switch assembly (E2 and H)
    Black/green/white - INPUT to turn signal switch from flasher relay #49a
    Black/green - OUTPUT from turn signal switch (RIGHT) to T2 4-way junction (four black/green wires)
    Black/white - OUTPUT from turn signal switch (LEFT) to T2 4-way junction (four black/white wires)
    Brown - GROUND wire for dimmer switch
    Brown/white - dimmer switch OUTPUT to headlight dimmer relay S terminal
    Brown (or sometimes Brown/blue) - Horn contact on face of switch. Connects to the horn (-) wire coming from the horn and the horn contact ring on the underside of the steering wheel.

Main Harness
    Red - #30 constant battery 12v+ from VR B+ to fuse box (to fuse #9 INPUT). This single wire powers pretty much everything.
    Red/black (or solid red) - Starter solenoid #50 from ignition switch to starter solenoid.
    Blue - #61 terminal on VR from GEN lamp. The VR grounds this wire to turn the GEN lamp ON.

Engine / Rear lights - These are in the main harness but once the main harness reaches the left rear seat these continue on into the engine compartment
    Black - #15 ignition coil power to ignition coil #15 (+) (from fuse #12 INPUT)
    Blue/green - OIL lamp, switched ground from OIL lamp to oil pressure switch below distributor
    Gray/black - Left rear parking light from fuse #2 OUTPUT
    Gray/red - Right rear parking & License plate lights from fuse #1 OUTPUT
    Black/green - Right turn signals. From black/green T2 4-way to rear
    Black/white - Left turn signals. From black/white T2 4-way to rear
    Black/red - Switched single brake light wire from MC switches to rear brake lights. Wire runs to left rear T4 before splitting and running to right brake light.

VR-to-Generator - Wires between VR under rear seat and generator
    Red - heavy gauge D+ wire
    Green - DF "field" wire
    Brown - (D-) Ground wire between frame of VR and body of generator

Reverse lights
    This circuit starts from the ignition coil #15 (+) with a black wire. It runs to an inline 8A fuse before wrapping around the right side of the fan shroud and passing thru the firewall tin to reach the reverse switch at the front of the transmission. The return wire (still black) comes back into the engine compartment before splitting into a right/left side. These black wires run to the rear light T3/T4 junctions where they connect to the solid blue wire in the taillight assemblies to power the reverse lamps.

In general, most of your wire colors appear to match the wiring diagram. There were only three (3) wires I wasn't sure of:
    Green wire (Back harness #5) - You did not note the presence of a blue/green wire in the main harness running from the OIL lamp in the speedometer to the oil pressure switch below the distributor. So I'm thinking your green wire could be for the OIL lamp?? The only other common solid green wire is the short wire running between the points/condenser on the distributor and the ignition coil #1 (-) terminal.

White wire (Ignition switch #7) - The white wire you describe from the ignition switch sounds like the grey SU wire from the ignition switch to the door switch and then the door buzzer. When the key is in and the door opened the buzzer relay is grounded. The only other solid white wires are:
    Power wire between E-Flasher switch (+) to the flasher relay (+). This powers the flasher relay.
    Left front high beam wire
    Short white wire running from the headlight dimmer relay F to the fuse #6 INPUT

Blue/white wire - This color is common for the High Beam indicator lamp in the speedometer. It is powered from fuse #6 when the high beams are ON. Also, the license plate light wire running from the right parking light wire (grey/red) is sometimes blue/white between the right rear junction and the license plate lamp.

There are lots of other wires not covered above but these are not in a harness. They are loose and run between different devices. Use the wiring diagram to identify and wire these.
You will also note in the wiring diagram many short wires that end in an orange circle with a number of symbol. These are the diagnostic plug wires. All run back to the diagnostic plug in the engine compartment and terminate with the indicated number/symbol.
HAYBOB VW71 SUPER BEETLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram for only my 1971 super beetle Reply with quote

Ashman,

thank you for sorting this, i just needed someone's help to sort this as its a bundle of fun. My Super Beetle is very early in the serious and don't want any fires from miss wiring Wink It is not rocket science but can get confusing when diagrams don't match and didn't have the pass through straight wiring. Thanks again for the help. HayBob VW71
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram for only my 1971 super beetle Reply with quote

If you plan to work on the Beetle electrical system you really need to get comfortable with the wiring diagram.

HAYBOB VW71 SUPER BEETLE wrote:
... and didn't have the pass through straight wiring.

This is the second time you mentioned this but I'm not sure I understand what you mean??

Just know that VW wiring is not always intuitive. In most simple electrical circuits positive current from the battery goes to a fuse, then to a control (switch) then to the device being powered (eg. lights) and then ends at chassis ground. This is not always the case with VW Beetle wiring. In an effort to be frugal and efficient in the electrical wiring VW chose circuits that were inexpensive but didn't always make sense. Which is why they only used a single turn indicator lamp instead of a left/right indicator.

Systems like the horn provide constant ignition switched 12v+ to the horn and put the control (horn button) in the ground path of the horn. If the circuit is accidentally grounded before the horn button, the horn will sound.

Systems like the headlights, place the fuse(s) AFTER the control (headlight switch and dimmer relay). If the circuit is shorted to ground before the fuses, there is no protection.

Some circuits like the ignition coil circuit does not have a fuse at all from the factory.

Some circuits (eg. GEN lamp and turn signal indicator lamp) do not turn OFF by having a switch OPEN the circuit path. Instead, the lamp turns OFF by applying positive current to both sides of the bulb. There is 12v+ at both sides of the bulb, resulting in no current flow as there is no path from high voltage to low/zero voltage. Without current flowing thru the bulb filament it does not turn ON. To turn the lamp ON one side of the bulb changes to a lower voltage level or ground. For the turn signal indicator lamp circuit, this means the flashing circuit alternates between 12v+ and ground instead of open and 12v+ to turn the lamp OFF and ON.

Instead of placing both taillights on a single fuse that would result in your car not being visible at night as you drive down the road, VW placed the 5W left rear taillight on its own fuse while placing all the other three parking lights and license plate light on a single 8A fuse. This provides redundancy but appears to be very unbalanced.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram for only my 1971 super beetle Reply with quote

HAYBOB VW71 SUPER BEETLE wrote:

Damn, some assclown been running around up in there!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: