Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super Salvage Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Whats next?
How about a squareback?
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Congratulations on an impressive final product, Victor! It has been educational for me to follow your progress, so I am grateful for this thread.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

A squareback would be cool, a fastback even better IMHO but they're hard to find ...and honestly I need to just drive for a while! And my wife would make me live in the car if I go and pick up another project anytime soon! Very Happy

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
A squareback would be cool, a fastback even better IMHO but they're hard to find ...and honestly I need to just drive for a while! And my wife would make me live in the car if I go and pick up another project anytime soon! Very Happy

You could follow my lead. Buy one, fix it up, sell it, buy another one.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Had to post an update for those of you who followed this build.

Do *NOT* buy the aftermarket new windshield from [EDIT CORRECTION]Bugcity. It does not fit properly and resulted in major water leaks for me. Here are pics of the new overlaid over the original I replaced it with today. You can see where the outside edge (white line) of the new one doesn't go out as far as the original one below it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm also going to need to remove and try and sand down the rear windshield from CIP1, which has the opposite problem - it's too wide. This caused an even bigger leak and soaked my package tray and rear passenger footrest carpeting. I'll replace it w/the original if I can't get it down to size. Too bad, because the defrost actually works. I'll also need to remove the rear seat bottom and make sure my repaired floor doesn't start rusting and address anything issue caused by the flooding.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!

Last edited by vamram on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Victor.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Damn it! Just when you think you are out of the woods.....

Sorry man! You can sand glass down a little bit at a time with a belt sander. Problem is it turns to orange molten glass at the edge, so be careful! It also takes a day and several weeks to get it sanded!

Better to take it to a glass shop (old school one) that has a self cooling belt sander to properly sand glass down! Money well spent!

As always! Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Quick update: I'm still running w/the CIP1 rear windshield. I'll remove it and try to get it installed properly once the weather warms up. For now, the black electrical tape along the join w/the glass has held well all winter thru rain and snow.

I'll also have to start thinking about fixing the #3 spark plug hole. The plug's been in w/out blowing out for almost 6k miles, but I know I'm going to have to address it before long...

Speaking of plugs, cap and rotor, these guys have 8k miles on them. Car is running well, but MPG has gone down, getting around 24+ on the highway. That's w/valves properly adjusted and timing set. Next week I'll pull a couple of the plugs to see what they look like. I should also be getting the 34/4 back from Volkzbitz this week and will install that back in and shelve the Empi...for now. He said there was gunk deep in the idle circuit that was likely the cause of the car not having power under load and stumbling. He said after cleaning it ran super smooth on his car and no longer needs the volume screw out 10 turns to idle smoothly.

As for the #3 plug repair, I don't think I can do this blind w/the engine in the car. I don't think I can get enough leverage or properly center the tap when starting. I bought inserts and a tap for the future plug repair and did a test run on a junk head. It took me two runs on each spark plug hole to get it correct and centered. This also produces a lot more scrap metal than I was expecting.

Inserts in place.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Quick update: I'm still running w/the CIP1 rear windshield. I'll remove it and try to get it installed properly once the weather warms up. For now, the black electrical tape along the join w/the glass has held well all winter thru rain and snow.

I'll also have to start thinking about fixing the #3 spark plug hole. The plug's been in w/out blowing out for almost 6k miles, but I know I'm going to have to address it before long...

Speaking of plugs, cap and rotor, these guys have 8k miles on them. Car is running well, but MPG has gone down, getting around 24+ on the highway. That's w/valves properly adjusted and timing set. Next week I'll pull a couple of the plugs to see what they look like. I should also be getting the 34/4 back from Volkzbitz this week and will install that back in and shelve the Empi...for now. He said there was gunk deep in the idle circuit that was likely the cause of the car not having power under load and stumbling. He said after cleaning it ran super smooth on his car and no longer needs the volume screw out 10 turns to idle smoothly.

As for the #3 plug repair, I don't think I can do this blind w/the engine in the car. I don't think I can get enough leverage or properly center the tap when starting. I bought inserts and a tap for the future plug repair and did a test run on a junk head. It took me two runs on each spark plug hole to get it correct and centered. This also produces a lot more scrap metal than I was expecting.

Inserts in place.

Sorry to hear that about the head! That sucks!

Two thoughts for you. 1.) Repairing the plug hole is possible while in the car. Apply globs of grease to the tap. The grease will catch and retain the shavings. You can only go a couple of turns, then you will need to remove the tap, clean it. Regressed it and thread it back in. Once you get it threaded. Crank the engine over for a few minutes. I use to start the engine up on 3 cylinders, for a quick 20 seconds to blow any shavings out of the chamber. Then I would clean the hole with carb cleaner, air dry it and install a time sert. That was a solid repair.

But, (this is point 2.) if the head is cracked at the hole, it will never retain the insert. It will keep blowing it out.

So, be sure there is no crack. Warm it up and take a picture of the hole while it is hot. If it is cracked you will most likely see it, if you are quick!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

8 thousand miles and counting Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
8 thousand miles and counting Very Happy

I buy it to drive it Brother!! Cool

Meanwhile, I did a plug check. Here's how the #4 and #3 look after 8.4k miles (gotta keep piling them on):

I think the 3 looks better than the 4. 1 & 2 look tan, a little rough around the edges. Any thoughts based on these 2 pics....?

And I had to rip out the side firewall tarboard. Quality is crap, all warped and shit. And this is not a car that runs hot either. Anyone have good leads on quality tarboard? I gotta cover up the tail light wiring w/something.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Why are you concerned about covering the tail light wiring?
It's exposed in my 67 engine compartment. I never have rear light issues.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Why are you concerned about covering the tail light wiring?
It's exposed in my 67 engine compartment. I never have rear light issues.

Heat speeding up deterioration of 48 year-old wiring....? Confused

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Wolfsburg West sells a good engine tar board kit.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I like the tarboard from Chris Vallone. I tried it out on the 61 Turkis and just ordered another set from him for the Super tonight, as it happens.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Nice. I am not the only one in Virginia who has a yellow 73 beetle lol. Except mine has a 1971 body. And it’s not nearly as bright as yours.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Gonna be even brighter soon! Will *pop* your eyeballs once I have it all back together in a couple of days. Still at the paint shop finishing the punch list.

No more embarrassing rattle can shit paint job to look at. Dancing Wished I could've done it myself but I just don't have the space or skills to do it. I've tried 2x and failed miserably both.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

It looks amazing, Victor. I had to put on my sunglasses, just to take a peek.

So, did you do all the prep, or did the painter?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Tim, probably a 30-70 split. I removed all the chrome and fender beading, he did the rest. I went over it today and he really did a nice job. I couldn't find any orange peel, he fixed my warped panel (from my unskilled welding) and a couple other spots. He also did the inside of the doors and door jams so it's uniform throughout. None of the window scrapers or rubbers got paint on them. Not a $7k paint job by any means but if it looks this good 3-5 years from now as a daily driver, I'll have gotten my $1.5k's worth!!! Very Happy

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

One and a half grand? I’d say you got a deal.

Wax it every three months, and wash with a food Meguiar’s wash/wax product, and the paint should look good for many years.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 37 of 51

Jump to: