Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy? Reply with quote

We used original panels as templates to make new ceiling panels out of 1/8 baltic birch. I haven't put the poly on them yet, but I thought I'd do a trial fit. We inserted the panel into one side, but couldn't quite get the other side hooked without potential damage. And since they're not finished yet, I don't want to get in a situation where I can't get them out. So, we'll get them poly-finished and try again. In the meantime, maybe some of you can give me tips on the installation procedure. Thanks in advance.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy? Reply with quote

you just gotta be brave.

Stick one side in the channel and bend the entire sheet into sort of an "S" curve so you can get the opposite side in. Then 'pop' it up.

Repeat in reverse for removal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy? Reply with quote

Yup - the panels have to be flexy.

If your material is less flexy than the original, you might have a problem getting them in.

Taking mine out for cleaning and such, I was surprised how flexy my stock material is, even after all these years.

Good luck.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy? Reply with quote

Are there early westy’s like the late ones where you need to remove the side trim pieces above the sliding door and the window on the opposite side and then slide the front headliner in from the middle of the bus with it in both channels? If so just be patient and make sure you push it in evenly.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Are there early westy’s like the late ones where you need to remove the side trim pieces above the sliding door and the window on the opposite side and then slide the front headliner in from the middle of the bus with it in both channels? If so just be patient and make sure you push it in evenly.

Nope not this!

First get help.
Set the panel pretty much where it needs to set in place. Get one side set up sitting on the channel. Bow the panel down in the center while pushing the opposite edge up to the opposite channel. Once there start pushing the center of the panel up into place. It should pop up and into place.

I have a pop top so the ceiling in it is four pieces. We installed the front first then the rear. Then the side pieces last.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy? Reply with quote

If only someone would produce a book with descriptions of jobs like this, maybe even include some detailed clear pictures, you could call it something like Buntly, or Benty, or Bruntly....... Oh wait!.. how about Bentley? Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy? Reply with quote

I had to open my channels up a bit to fit the slightly larger aftermarket material.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
If only someone would produce a book with descriptions of jobs like this, maybe even include some detailed clear pictures, you could call it something like Buntly, or Benty, or Bruntly....... Oh wait!.. how about Bentley? Razz

And if such a resource were available people would flock to it like mana from heaven to get the hard questions answered. As opposed to asking here first?
Just to ponder it boggles the mind. Shocked Wink
dembus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy? Reply with quote

Mberglo wrote:
We used original panels as templates to make new ceiling panels out of 1/8 baltic birch. I haven't put the poly on them yet, but I thought I'd do a trial fit. We inserted the panel into one side, but couldn't quite get the other side hooked without potential damage. And since they're not finished yet, I don't want to get in a situation where I can't get them out. So, we'll get them poly-finished and try again. In the meantime, maybe some of you can give me tips on the installation procedure. Thanks in advance.

Side question...
Where did you find these panels wide enough with the grain running the proper direction?? Home Depot has them in 4x8 sheets but the grain runs the wrong way.
Thanks!!

69 Westy (R.I.P.)
68 Kombi
70 Westy
68 Beetle Sedan
69 Beetle Sedan
68 Deluxe
71 Deluxe
71 HT Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy? Reply with quote

I have a Cabinet maker friend that got me 5x5 baltic birch panels.

CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best way to install ceiling panels on early Westy? Reply with quote

dembus wrote:

Side question...
Where did you find these panels wide enough with the grain running the proper direction?? Home Depot has them in 4x8 sheets but the grain runs the wrong way.
Thanks!!

Home Depot, Lowe's, and other big box type stores won't carry it, but most smaller 'specialty' lumber places should stock the 5'x5' sheets you need.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: