Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘71 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

jmstu76 wrote:
Lookin good. What do you plan on pulling?

Probably won’t be towing anything, I got it for my bike rack. I use a Thule 917XTR, it’s a Cantilever style rack and puts a lot of down force on the hitch. Decided to go with the Jeremyrockjock one this time I instead of a local custom built one. Hoping to install it on Saturday.

My awning brackets from Go Westy finally shipped, only took 4 business days...🙄
’65 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
jmstu76 wrote:
Lookin good. What do you plan on pulling?

Probably won’t be towing anything, I got it for my bike rack. I use a Thule 917XTR, it’s a Cantilever style rack and puts a lot of down force on the hitch. Decided to go with the Jeremyrockjock one this time I instead of a local custom built one. Hoping to install it on Saturday.

They probably used FedEx. Add two weeks time Laughing They should have used Brown Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

i have found go we$ty seems to sit on orders for DAYS before they decide to ship

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Kale has to be cooked.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Those hemp sneakers don't knit themselves...
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Since I blew up the custom built rear shock on my MTB yesterday and I couldn’t ride today, I had some free time on my hands. So I decided to work on installing the hitch. It hitch itself was a breeze to install. It cleared the muffler with ease and bolted up just as it was suppose to. My bumper on the other hand was kinda a bitch. This bus didn’t have a rear bumper when I got it and the one I was able to score locally, thru a trade, has seen better days. It was definitely involved in some sort of accident on the drivers side and it was massaged back straight again. It took a little time but I was able to get it all bolted up and the passenger side splash pan bolted into place as well. The drivers side is pulled out a bit so hooking that splash pan to the body has been a challenge. I ran out of time, so I decided to leave that till Saturday. Otherwise it’s in and I think it looks good. The bumper is a lot sturdier now and offers a lot more rear ended protection. Big ups to Jemeryrockjock for producing such a nice product!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In this pic you can see where the bumper has been worked over on the drivers side.

’65 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Tidy fit on the hitch, thanks for the up close pics. Thoughtful of VW to provide the tapped holes for this option. I've towed with a Bus before , hills take a bit more to get over ( not like you're going fast to begin with ) otherwise I did not notice much difference. Nice to have the option.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Worked on the bus a bit today. I rotated the tires, something I wanted to do before I put too many miles on it after the front end work it got last week. I attempted to move/band the bumper to align the splash pan with the body, but there was no way I could move it. Definitely gonna need some heat and a BFH, something I can do in the future when I bring it back to the shop. So, in the meantime I found a bracket in my stash and used that to attach the pan the the body. Not perfect, but good for now.

Got my bike back from the suspension shop with a rebuilt shock, the dampener shaft broke. So I put my rack on the bus and went for a ride. The hitch is super stiff and the bike didn’t bounce around at all.

Bracket on the splash pan

Bus looks good with the bike on the back! The west coast guys change into their wetsuits in their buses, round here in the South West we change into our MTB gear in our buses.

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Finally got my Go Westy awning brackets, so I installed the new ARB 2500 awning. It was a lot easier then I thought it was gonna be. Not too sure how I feel about the riv nuts, but they are installed. Super windy out today, so I didn’t open it. Maybe tomorrow.

’65 Deluxe Build
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

I like it. Looking forward to seeing it open.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

The bike rack looks good. Did you used to use the fiamma bike rack? That's what I'm using for two bikes and works well so far but eventually I see an bike in the future and this would be the better set up for the extra weight.
What does it take to open the engine lid and how's the tail light visibility?
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
The bike rack looks good. Did you used to use the fiamma bike rack? That's what I'm using for two bikes and works well so far but eventually I see an bike in the future and this would be the better set up for the extra weight.
What does it take to open the engine lid and how's the tail light visibility?

Never used a Fiamma rack, not really a fan of not being able to open the rear hatch with the bikes on. There’s no issue opening the engine lid with the bike in the upright position. The rear hatch is accessible with the bikes on when you fold (or relax) the rack down. It’s a nice rack and I’m sad to see Thule doesn’t sell it anymore, they only sell the upgraded more expensive version now.
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Mberglo wrote:
I like it. Looking forward to seeing it open.

Hopefully this weekend in Canyon Lands we’ll have our first opportunity to use it. Depending on the winds, it’s super windy here in the southwest in the spring.
’65 Deluxe Build
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Cool. I meant to say E Bike is in my furniture. Your rack will certainly be better for heavy loads.
I still love the fiamma but I’m probably maxing out how much weight I want to put on the rear hatch. Almost seems like you could run both types of racks if you had three or four bikes to haul. I usually put a third bike up on the luggage rack but a fourth bike is hard to pack now that everyone is on full size bikes.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Make sure your license plate is clearly visible with bikes on back unless you like getting pulled over.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
Cool. I meant to say E Bike is in my furniture. Your rack will certainly be better for heavy loads.
I still love the fiamma but I’m probably maxing out how much weight I want to put on the rear hatch. Almost seems like you could run both types of racks if you had three or four bikes to haul. I usually put a third bike up on the luggage rack but a fourth bike is hard to pack now that everyone is on full size bikes.

One of the biggest hurdles with E bikes right now is trail accessibility. Here in Durango there is only one trail system That is open to Ebikes. I’d be willing to bet that all those trails you just rode with your son on your Southwest trip or not E bike accessible.
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Make sure your license plate is clearly visible with bikes on back unless you like getting pulled over.

I understand your concern. But, around here in the southwest this is the type of rack that is predominantly used. If cops are gonna pull you over for a blocked license plate they be pulling over every Tom, Dick and Harry on the road. Specifically, Durango is a pro town and everyone rides bikes here. Things could be a little more strict in Virginia, but around here they’re pretty loose about that.
’65 Deluxe Build
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Cool. I live in Wisconsin and cops are pretty cool here also.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Cool. I live in Wisconsin and cops are pretty cool here also.

Sorry, small letters thought it said Virginia.
’65 Deluxe Build
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
71whitewesty wrote:

One of the biggest hurdles with E bikes right now is trail accessibility. Here in Durango there is only one trail system That is open to Ebikes. I’d be willing to bet that all those trails you just rode with your son on your Southwest trip or not E bike accessible.

True on the access for the E Bikes. So far where I live there are no restrictions on them. Also thinking realistically I would probably only really use the E Bike here at home anyway, one e bike doesn't really work if the others are not. But I am interested in the possibility of using both types of racks together to see if 4 bikes is possible to haul that way. It's getting tight in the Bus now with the kids growing up. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 26

Jump to: