Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting my engine bay
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Painting my engine bay Reply with quote

So I’m looking to paint my engine bay before I reinstall my motor. I just ordered new Chris Valone Tar Boards and will be putting them in.

My question, what is the best way to paint the engine bay? Is high temp paint requires? Should I sand down to bear metal then primer then top coat? Should I do flat or satin? If I can’t match my body paint should I just go black or Porsche silver. Aka grey?

So many questions. I have a general purpose electric spray gun. Like a Wagner power painter, should I consider using that? Just rattle can? Should I brush? Por 15?

I really don’t know what I should do...
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Painting my engine bay Reply with quote

I'll start you off. You don't need High Temp paint. Will a electric spray gun give the results you need? I personally would not remove old paint unless it was dead. If I was doing a nitpicking restoration I would use the body color because that is how the factory did it. I would paint it black so the entire back of the engine wall did not show a different color at the edges. I would use gloss so it didn't catch dirt easy.
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Painting my engine bay Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
I'll start you off. You don't need High Temp paint. Will a electric spray gun give the results you need? I personally would not remove old paint unless it was dead. If I was doing a nitpicking restoration I would use the body color because that is how the factory did it. I would paint it black so the entire back of the engine wall did not show a different color at the edges. I would use gloss so it didn't catch dirt easy.

Rustoleum? Rattlecan?

My engine bay was repainted a different color than the rest of the car (someone tried to match, but it isn't close...) So yes, if I ever repaint the car, I'll pull the motor and have it done right, but the paint inside is pealing, cracking and all around in tattered shape.

Gloss is so hard to get even. I'm going to paint my tins, and I'm still debating what color... black or 'porsche silver' (aka grey)
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting my engine bay Reply with quote

Paint Suppliers used to sell custom mixed paint in a big can that they charged with aerosol and the finish was pretty good. Maybe that's an option.

As far as what colors to use ,do you want the piece to stand out on it's own or be included with things it's next or adjacent to? If you want to show the car for competition see what they judge it on. I personally like to dress things up alittle bit but sometimes later you decide that you don't want it to stand out or it looks like a cartoon or something. Laughing
kevlarian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting my engine bay Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Paint Suppliers used to sell custom mixed paint in a big can that they charged with aerosol and the finish was pretty good. Maybe that's an option.

As far as what colors to use ,do you want the piece to stand out on it's own or be included with things it's next or adjacent to? If you want to show the car for competition see what they judge it on. I personally like to dress things up alittle bit but sometimes later you decide that you don't want it to stand out or it looks like a cartoon or something. Laughing

I'm putting brand new Chris Vallone Classic VW Engine Bay Tar boards, which are black and cover most of the engine bay, so what little shows through, I'd like to have black, I think. The engine tins... I'm leaning toward a Porsche Silver (Grey) or basic black (default painted tin color).

My car is set as a daily, that i bring to local shows and events, but it is not setup as a "show car".
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting my engine bay Reply with quote

Look into the Preval brand aerosol sprays at Lowe’s or Home Depot or search...
I did my fenders with epoxy primer and loved them! I mixed up my epoxy in the glass jar, waited 30 minutes to mix and went to town. Worked like a champ. Very happy with them for small areas.....
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Painting my engine bay Reply with quote

I think a semi flat black paint will look good on your engine bay.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting my engine bay Reply with quote

https://www.eastwood.com/paints/2k-aero-spray-paints.html

I know, Eastwood is overpriced. But it gives you a starting point...
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Painting my engine bay Reply with quote

I am in the process of cleaning my bay's engine bay while the engine is out.

I hope (plan) to paint the engine bay, gas tank compartment and rear axle area etc.

For the engine bay, would any of the aftermarket automotive touch-up paints in a rattle can(paint scratch, touch-up direct etc.) work without a clear coat if a single stage paint isnt available?

There isnt any rust there just many years of whatever goes on in an engine compartment. Should I sand that down or just prime over it?

So far, I have used high-temp rattle can paint for the tin and manifold.
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Painting my engine bay Reply with quote

Eastwood has some really good products. But still, prep is the key.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Painting my engine bay Reply with quote

I repainted my Bug's entire bay recently while engine was out. No tarboards for me though, but excessive cleaning and decreasing before any thoughts of paint! FWIW I used Rustoleum black truck bed coating...truck bed type, Not the rubberized type,... this stuff is satin black, textured, goes on thin and dries hard.Very scratch resistant. I discovered it when repairing my truck, it is surprisingly durable so you might look it over.
A recent post regarding painting the pan undersides recommended brushing rustoleum satin, which is a better choice for that area since a quart is $10, whereas you need only one can of truck bed spray for bay, but many spraycans for underneath.Brush on rustoleum would be very bad choice in the bay, it is a bit soft.
Don't forget to shred your hands a bit on the tarboard prongs sticking out,lol!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: