Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

spacer plate between main hinge and main bow
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: spacer plate between main hinge and main bow Reply with quote

Hi,

The top on my 62 cab, when folded, sits taller/higher than the right side. It's been that way for some time and bugged me to various degrees. I've just noticed a couple of things:

a) on the left side there is a some type of a spacer plate between the main hinge and the main bow. See pic here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

b) Another observation is that the clearance between the lower edge of the main bow and the lock pillar is probably 10-11 mm, while on the right side, it's more like 6 mm. The BBB says 6 mm is what it should be.

Questions:
a) I'd like to take that spacer out. Not sure why it's there. Is this area under any particular tension, if I tried to remove it?

b) I think I should be able to move the main hinge up and down, to get that lock pillar spacing to 6mm. Is that correct?

c) Once I make these changes, I suppose my window rubber seals may not fit very well. Is there anything else that comes to mind that I should watch out for?

BTW, here's the view of the folded top:

Thanks,
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: spacer plate between main hinge and main bow Reply with quote

Bumping. Anyone with convertible top experience who could comment?

Thanks
Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: spacer plate between main hinge and main bow Reply with quote

Hi Mike, I too was waiting for someone with an early model like yours to comment, as mine is a 71 vert. I had to make the same adjustment with the lower edge of the main bow and the lock pillar. On that pillar just below(?) the door striker, there should be some bolts, these hold the hinge in place. I had to loosen those, then tapped a little on that hinge, on the inside behind that hinge cover plate. It lowered to the proper depth I needed and now sits perfectly on the rubber at approx 6mm.

Can't help you on the spacer, though it could have been placed there to push it out because of some previous damage, or a previous owner didn't know how to adjust the hinge stop, also behind the hinge cover just above the hinge bolts, I think I can see that within the curve of the hinge. You can try adjusting that down to see if it brings the whole top down on the pillar. I hope that makes sense. Check and see if you have those bolts I described that hold the hinge to the B pillar.

As far as the window rubber, it shouldn't make that much difference. If the door windows go way up inside the rubber, then it will be a problem opening the doors. If that is the case, you should be able to adjust the glass inside the door.
Hope this helps,
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: spacer plate between main hinge and main bow Reply with quote

I don’t think that spacer plate goes there. Didn’t see one on my ‘66 which should have the same roof as yours.

The photo shows everything laid out on the bench after paint and the plate is not included.

BTW the 6mm dimension for lock pillar clearance is correct. You should have it both sides.

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: spacer plate between main hinge and main bow Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff and Nicholas. Yeah, I'm going to give this a try - remove that spacer and bring that gap down. Hopefully things won't go too far out of whack.

Mike
tri356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: spacer plate between main hinge and main bow Reply with quote

Ok, next question. Does anyone know if these parts of the convertible top are flat:

https://www.vintagecarparts.de/artikel.php?set_sho...=141871821

From the picture it seems so. But I wanted to confirm. On my top, these two parts are not flat. Not sure how it affects operation/shape, but, I'm digging.

Thanks
Mike
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: spacer plate between main hinge and main bow Reply with quote

Yes, those are flat

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: