Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Bay Window
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

I skimmed over this thread a bit. Not much too add but,

I like risk taking, I prefer calculated risk....it’s cool to take your time and not be in a hurry, but your never calculate all the risk out of the equation. Just get ready to make “financial mistake” your vanity plate and jump in. I just watched a buddy pass on a known good one because he’s tied up in a remodel and collage for kids etc. We’ll miss him on the runs this summer. Dave Ramsey will never sanction a bus purchase and consider it financial illiteracy to do it. This choice isn’t entirely logical you have to feel it too. Save the heavy intellectualism for what oil viscosity and glues to use, haha. For me it’s more about time and what I’m doing with it. Can’t wait to see what you land. No matter what you get your gonna get lessons and that’s cool in my book.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

For the kind of money your willing to spend, heres a starter at half your price range.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2323313

Maybe offer $7k and add $1k to transport and for another $1k you could probably be driving this before summer ends.

Last line: asking $8000 OBO.

Poster claims to be moving and doesnt have time for this. This is the kind of scenario that will get you into something more affordable, but not completely roached.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
For the kind of money your willing to spend, heres a starter at half your price range.

Maybe offer $7k and add $1k to transport and for another $1k you could probably be driving this before summer ends.

Poster claims to be moving and doesnt have time for this. This is the kind of scenario that will get you into something more affordable, but not completely roached.

That seems like a pretty sweet deal. I'm going to look at one on the 24th, waiting for the CO to get back from a trip. Hopefully, that one will be good to go and I can drive that one now Very Happy.

If not, that one seems like an awesome deal. The interior alone seems worth that. Although I've been quoted around 2k to ship from Florida to Oregon, and I imagine Michigan is probably close to that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

It could be a good deal, but, I would be leery of any Michigan bus that has been repainted. Most VWs here are packed with bondo, or rotted out, very few solid examples. The rocker on it looks strange in the one picture, looks like it has bondo because of how sharp the corners are on it. I was up in traverse city (same place the bus is listed) this summer and ran across a 78 westy pop top at a trail head. It had been repainted and the lower 6 inches were covered in bondo, it hadn’t even been completely sanded before paint. So just warning, and even if it is, it still may be a good bus for you
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Ceckert64 wrote:
It could be a good deal, but, I would be leery of any Michigan bus that has been repainted. Most VWs here are packed with bondo, or rotted out, very few solid examples. The rocker on it looks strange in the one picture, looks like it has bondo because of how sharp the corners are on it. I was up in traverse city (same place the bus is listed) this summer and ran across a 78 westy pop top at a trail head. It had been repainted and the lower 6 inches were covered in bondo, it hadn’t even been completely sanded before paint. So just warning, and even if it is, it still may be a good bus for you

For me, and based on what I've read, I'd say too much cancerous rust is the only deal breaker. After reading a bit on ratwell, apparently I can live with a good amount of rust if it has the stock distributor... lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

curious how long they've run that Michigan bus w/o the engine seal.. sucking in it's own hot exhaust gasses.. Embarassed

though the rare pass battery door is a bonus.

it most assuredly has bondo on the rockers and dog legs.
in fact very nearly EVERY bus that doesn't come with high resolution detail pics of the body/paint process WILL have bondo paved on like Tammy Faye Baker.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Regarding Bondo, your chances are slim of finding a totally non-Bondo at a cheap price. If you do, chances are the prices will be north of $15k to finance the panels/welding/paint that took place. I can't imagine there being many buses driving around that are original paint, no repaired dents, and zero bondo (at least a skim) at less than $15k.
That's where you have to do the equation of:
If I buy this bus for $8k, can I get it how I want it for the $ I have left?

Last edited by wagohn on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

That does make you wonder..
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

That does make you wonder..

Thats some nasty posting , there

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

I bought my '71 back in 2014 and paid $2700. It has some rust but not horrible, and it needed a new engine and tranny. I think I've got around $9K in it right now. It's still in primer (and now has the correct rear bumper), but is a daily driver and has been reliable.

You absolutely must learn how to do normal maintenance and minor repairs yourself, or you'll kill your budget.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

yes, but that is a 8 grand bus in 2021 before you dropped all that cash on it. you cant really tell folks that there are cheap busses out there if your reference point is almost 10 years old.
61 BUS wrote:
I bought my '71 back in 2014 and paid $2700. It has some rust but not horrible, and it needed a new engine and tranny. I think I've got around $9K in it right now. It's still in primer (and now has the correct rear bumper), but is a daily driver and has been reliable.

You absolutely must learn how to do normal maintenance and minor repairs yourself, or you'll kill your budget.

theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Great looking bus, and alman does have a point. It's not really comparable to what the market's doing today... unless you wanted to sell me yours for that much Laughing
alman72 wrote:

yes, but that is a 8 grand bus in 2021 before you dropped all that cash on it. you cant really tell folks that there are cheap busses out there if your reference point is almost 10 years old.

61 BUS wrote:
I bought my '71 back in 2014 and paid $2700. It has some rust but not horrible, and it needed a new engine and tranny. I think I've got around $9K in it right now.

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
Great looking bus, and alman does have a point. It's not really comparable to what the market's doing today... unless you wanted to sell me yours for that much Laughing
alman72 wrote:

61 BUS wrote:
I bought my '71 back in 2014 and paid $2700. It has some rust but not horrible, and it needed a new engine and tranny. I think I've got around $9K in it right now.

Never blame a guy for getting in earlier than everyone else... now get back to work so you can buy this primer bus when the current owner gets tired of it.
>whip crack<
Mberglo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

There's a saying in the classic car community. "You didn't pay too much, you just bought it too early"
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

"For every seat, there is an ass" Used car salesman quote from long ago.
. driveway/garage build I owned 12 years. Just passed on to latest custodian. Local sale.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

The deals go to those who dig them up, not those who twiddle their time on the internet. I see deals go down here upstate at 1/5 “ samba pricing”

Where do you think the flippers get Their Busses, cars.com?
mike77777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

7 grand cash sale. Guy and his wife about 40 miles north of here. took an hour going over what needed work. Was advertised Good condition, daily driver. wore out the cyl heads deliverng job. engine was good when sold.

LouFilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

cellobus1 wrote:
I've been following this for a while. I've been a bus owner for 42 years, and have never owned a camper, yet I've camped in 41 states and 4 provinces. You set up a tent (or two) and then you still have a vehicle to use. It's a different experience. I can't imagine having a bus that's only used for camping. I also love that my roof has never leaked.

I know campers are the bomb and a half when they're being camped in, but what about the other 48 weeks of the year? That's when campers sit and rot. Fuel lines clog. Mice set up shop. "Lot rot," dealers call it. But if you had a transporter, you could be hauling home sheet rock, railroad ties, firewood, a Christmas tree, most anything a truck could do. Hell, I've fit two dirt bikes into the back of a bus.

All I'm saying is don't be suckered into the Westy trappings, because believe me, camping in a transporter is AT LEAST as much fun as in a Westy.

Andy

To the OP (original poster), keep the faith and you will find the right bus. Just like everybody else has already said in a different way, look for unmolested and rust free. You will not find anything totally rust free and unmolested for vaguely reasonable, but good buses are out there. Be patient and keep looking. I found as clean a starting point as I was willing to spend, over invested in everyway, and have been totally happy regardless of the bus's worth. The only thing I would have done different is to spend a little more for a better starting point.

Now on to Cellobus's reply I quoted. I can't believe I am the only one defending the usefulness of a camper as a daily driver. There is no reason for a Westy to just sit. It's every bit as good on the road as a tiptop camper and it has the same doors for loading (as a plus my 78 has a open space large enough for a large crate, and with the closet removed a 4x8 sheet fits fine). Since the pandemic began, the bus is even better as I have a table and seating anywhere I go. The whole reason I bought a Westy is because it's an RV I can drive everyday. I know my Westy weighs more than a tin top, but I can wash my hands, grab a cool water from the fridge, and lay down on a bed anytime I want. My Westy has brought home many a Christmas tree, 4x8 sheets of plywood (and lathe and plaster for my 30's walls), a TV, a large compressor, a small-block Chevy, and many other things. Oh yeah, I've taken quite a few things to the dump in it. I've also camped many times in it and having the headroom that the pop top allows is awesome, but it's even better when just taking a day trip up CA HWY 1. You can park a Westy if you want, but there is no reason to do so. If you have a tiptop, they are sweet too, but you will have to admit it's a less versatile ride. Sorry to go off topic.
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

I have driven a westy for a decade plus as a daily driver, dropping kids at school, running errands and everything else. It was my only vehicle at the time. Clearly it is a family thing because my Grandfather used to drive me to kindergarten in a 73 Westfalia and he also commuted to work in it and even built an entire 3000 square foot home gy transporting every single piece of it in that bay window.

Oh, and we went fishing in it too!

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=...18237.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: