Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Throttle return springs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

I have the CB linkage for my 44 IDFs. The throttle (pedal) feeling is too light. Can you guys suggest some decent springs and a suggestion on how to secure them?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6390.htm

Returns the throttle plates on an IDF Weber Carburetor to a closed position during idle speeds.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

I think what you’re saying is that you have a heavy foot.
If everything works properly there is no need for “helper” springs.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

I had the same problem even with new springs on the carbs so I got these from mcmaster carr. One on each side. Someone more experienced my tell us why this doesn’t work but its working for me so far. Sorry for the crappy pic but you can see the spring on the end of the cross bar.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

My solution....

With clockworks spring there is no adjustment of feel of return springs...

My spring of choice is a Century Spring Company C-161 (7/16 X 2-3/4 X .034) its easy to stretch for less tension and to cut shorter for more tension.... It's like an spring assist on any fuel system, you want enough tension to completely close throttle but not enough tension to give you leg cramps....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

I did the same as Dale but it still is not heavy enough. I need to find stiffer springs.
jeffrey8164 wrote:

I am going to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this one! Have you ever tried to drive 3 hours... 5 hours... 10 hours straight holding your right foot up? I have and the leg cramps get excruciatingly painful! After a while nothing helps and you find yourself stopping every 20 minutes to walk off the cramps!

Try it sometime, sit on your couch and hold your right leg up and see how long you last!
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

Some nice suggestions, thanks. Glenn, aren't those the stock Weber springs? The 44s are pretty much new. So I don't think changing those springs would accomplish anything.

So, it sounds like most guys simply rely on the Weber throttle shaft return springs. Way back, I had a GB linkage and don't those have return springs built into them? I also remember the linkage that I had on a set of Kadrons having a spring. I have spent the last 20+ years playing with small block Fords and I have never seen anyone rely only on the throttle shaft return spring that comes on the carb. Usually, a double spring is used for safety incase one spring breaks.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I did the same as Dale but it still is not heavy enough. I need to find stiffer springs.
jeffrey8164 wrote:

I am going to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this one! Have you ever tried to drive 3 hours... 5 hours... 10 hours straight holding your right foot up? I have and the leg cramps get excruciatingly painful! After a while nothing helps and you find yourself stopping every 20 minutes to walk off the cramps!

Try it sometime, sit on your couch and hold your right leg up and see how long you last!

I suppose I’ve developed the habit of using the side of my shoe against the tunnel.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

Olli from NJ wrote:
Some nice suggestions, thanks. Glenn, aren't those the stock Weber springs? The 44s are pretty much new. So I don't think changing those springs would accomplish anything.

So, it sounds like most guys simply rely on the Weber throttle shaft return springs. Way back, I had a GB linkage and don't those have return springs built into them? I also remember the linkage that I had on a set of Kadrons having a spring. I have spent the last 20+ years playing with small block Fords and I have never seen anyone rely only on the throttle shaft return spring that comes on the carb. Usually, a double spring is used for safety incase one spring breaks.

Nope, its a spring designed to go on cross bar of dual carb linkages...

See post..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9617134#9617134

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
oprn wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:

I suppose I’ve developed the habit of using the side of my shoe against the tunnel.

Yes that helps for sure but even that isn't enough for me. Partly because of my height and the fact that the seat does not go far enough back to get a better angle on my ankle in the Manx copy..
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

I've been going through the same issues of light pedal pressure lately. After going back and forth on where to put another spring, I decided on the actual gas pedal. There was already a small hole in the pedal arm, and then I was able to bring it back to the bottom pin that holds the pedal to the assembly. My thought process was that as long as everything was working ok in the back, it would be a lot better to have the excess spring pressure on just the pedal, instead of the throttle shafts on the throttle body/carbs that may cause premature wear.
Just my thoughts...

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

1st make sure the acceerator cable, pedal, pedal wheel, linkage, etc are free and well lubed. Do what it takes to get the cable ans all moving as freely as possible. Make sure there are no kinks in the cable, straight as possible, it really is drive-by-wire.

Type 3s had springs on the carbs, for inspiration.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Throttle return springs Reply with quote

That linkage will not like being pulled harder down ( spring on carb) or with forwards pull due to extra coil spring on the bar , and it will wear faster.

Put spring in line with the throttle cable, or at the pedal end.to preserve the linkage.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: