Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

Quote:

one really important thing i dont see mentioned here or on the holley site is real time barometric correction!
this would be a key feature id look for on a van thats likely to find its way into mountains and on cold mornings at elevation more often than a weekend summer cruiser.
interested to know what the plan was there, but if that feature isnt available id find a way to sort it...

What are you using with the mega squirt? I don't believe my TEC GT supports a barometric sensor.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

considering the efi hardware itself is ~$1100, and someone else tuned it, i would throw out a random number of $3000 once its all said and done.

That's a good chunk of change for just an efi and to retain the 2.1L of what ever mileage you have on it.

This is super intriguing. I was contemplating a MicroSquirt. Significantly cheaper as I've kept up with that post on here. I think he's into that for about $1000 atm? Looks like it can be done for about $800?

"For me," I'd really need to see a modest HP / TQ boost, especially in the upper midrange (cruising speed / uphills at speed,) and also a modest MPG increase.

The obvious benefit is reliability. I get that. Saving heartache, frustration, effort and $$$ on repair or parts depending if you're a DIY (like me,) or a need a shop.

With an added benefit of MPG one can easily justify the cost with savings on fuel over time.

More power is subjective and an added bonus but mute (for the cost,) unless we're talking about the 20 hp range. Which is highly doubtful.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense

Last edited by a2wolfsburggli on Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Quote:

one really important thing i dont see mentioned here or on the holley site is real time barometric correction!
this would be a key feature id look for on a van thats likely to find its way into mountains and on cold mornings at elevation more often than a weekend summer cruiser.
interested to know what the plan was there, but if that feature isnt available id find a way to sort it...

What are you using with the mega squirt? I don't believe my TEC GT supports a barometric sensor.

the MSs support more than one MAP input, with the second being used for baro. the larger (non micro) units can have a dual internal MAP installed. theres always the option of using different combos of offboard MAPs as well.

if not equipped with a second unit itll take an initial baro reading at key on and use that for the drive. thats fairly typical logic.
however, this becomes a big issue if your single key cycle drive finds you making large elevation changes. typically the adaptation needed is well outside the range of what youve bound your closed loop operation to (>10-15%) - and your closed loop stuff is usually not running at very high load anyway. some unpleasant driving behavior for sure!

a2wolfsburggli wrote:

This is super intriguing. I was contemplating a MicroSquirt. Significantly cheaper as I've kept up with that post on here. I think he's into that for about $1000 atm? Looks like it can be done for about $800?

"For me," I'd really need to see a modest HP / TQ boost, especially in the upper midrange (cruising speed / uphills at speed,) and also a modest MPG increase.

the quality of the power and mpg increase is of course up to how well its tuned! not using a cat, or having to pass emissions opens things up on that front as well.

your numbers are probably in the ballpark. again though for you DIYing it, which would bring my wild-ass-guess number from earlier down as well for his holley setup.
if you paid someone to do the work and tune your MS youd likely not be too far behind what my wild-ass-guess was earlier.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

Pardon my gasser ignorance, but what's the user interface with the ECU; i.e. is there a com port plug for a laptop, OBD2 plug, or something else?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

the quality of the power and mpg increase is of course up to how well its tuned! not using a cat, or having to pass emissions opens things up on that front as well.

your numbers are probably in the ballpark. again though for you DIYing it, which would bring my wild-ass-guess number from earlier down as well for his holley setup.
if you paid someone to do the work and tune your MS youd likely not be too far behind what my wild-ass-guess was earlier.

Totally! I get that. This is all wild ass and speculative and fun to talk and debate about. "Intriguing."

Perhaps I could have qualified my price / cost question with adding two categories?

What are the cost of the base parts for us DIY folk?

Maybe add a cost for the tune separate? I have to imagine once the base tune is done on a mule it can be resold.

What would the cost be for a full turn key install with labor?

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

Could we get an update here please? How's it running? MPGs? Any issues?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stewart2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

Returned from a 1000 mile trip from Pennsylvania up to Vermont, New Hampshire and Upstate New York. Ran flawlessly, even had temps in the low 30’s in the morning. I was having issues with excessive crankcase pressure over the last 4-6 months. Turns out my number 2 cylinder has an excessive amount of blow by. So I bought a leak down tester and found that it was only holding 15%. My MPG averaged 16.4 with this condition. I am in the process of dropping the engine to install all new pistons and sleeves that have been quality tested so I don’t run into the same problem again. I just rebuilt the engine a year ago. Once I have her back together I will run a updated mileage test and post here.
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

Any updates?

Thanks.
Stewart2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

Update - Have learned a lot about the software and experimenting with timing and idle control response timing. Only one breakdown so far, the crank trigger wheel welds cracked in Feb of this year. AAA to the rescue (worth the money for the platinum package - 110 Mile Tow). Took the pulley off and found a local machine shop to have it re-welded. I added new fuel rails and injectors from Fuel Injector Rehab in NJ.

https://injector-rehab.com/product/vw-vanagon-comp...-included/

I am averaging 16.5 MPG around town in a Westy Camper and up to 19 MPG on the highway. Most importantly, it starts with ease, idles smoothly, and has more power when climbing hills. Prior to the swap I was only able to maintain 44-46 MPH climbing a 8 mile incline on the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike with my 1.9L Automatic with the DijiJet system. Now I can maintain 55MPH during the same climb and not feel like I am holding tractor trailers up.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

thats good news!

care to share your fuel/timing maps? would be curious where you landed for full load - maybe some of the guys with the tunable digi ecus could benefit from that info as well

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

Stewart2.0 wrote:
Photos of Phil Eslin's work to install the TPS - I had a goal to hide as much of the new sensors as possible to maintain a stock VW look.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Very nice. Would he do this mod for others?
Stewart2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Holley Terminator X EFI - it works!!!!! Reply with quote

@boxer74 Phil retired last year. You can get a rebuilt throttle body for your vanagon from Mansi Speed in Maryland.

https://www.mansispeed.com/

He does not have them on the site, but he posted a photo on Facebook with a dozen or so vanagon throttle bodies rebuilt

https://www.facebook.com/groups/197865313987406/?h...7979434457
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: