Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
revolution337 wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2455119

$60k for a 2WD weekender?

I'll pass.

Price drop to $50K. It'll probably take a few more to get a sale. Although it is San Diego where there's plenty of stupid-money.

I'd love to see what a $14k engine looks like.
The dude paid 10k for a white paint job, I hope he likes it cause he is going to have it for a while.

These people are dreaming.
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Blakesinclair wrote:
Still kinda new here. Am I doing this right?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/d/whittier-1986-vw-vanagon/7288926661.html

Wow.
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

This post is simple and to the point.
By and large, the OEM replacement parts available are not well made. The ‘OEM’ switches and controls from ‘Classic’ are not going to last decades like the ones from the factory. Although we DO have some fine, newly engineered parts from vendors who take pride in crafting durable goods, most of the ball joints, bearings, CV boots, mounts and wearable parts just fail too soon. It is our fault for wanting affordable repair parts to keep these ancient vehicles running safely.
I recognize this as a given and something to accept, even begrudgingly. It happens in the most benign places too.
Like the wonderful Vanagon Headlight Relays. This kit is sweet and allows for better current flow to upgraded lamps.
And not to forget the Vanagon Hard Start Relay Kit, a great way to help a new starter live a long life. Both are fantastic upgrades with something in common…the relays.
And well… the relays fail.
Seems weird to have had to replace them over the course of just under 2 years on a vehicle I seldom drive. The relays do give warning by becoming erratic. Lights won’t stay on intermittently. Starter fails to crank out of the blue. But this warning becomes reality all the same. I’ve been blessed to have purchased better relays for replacing these. But why should NEW relays fail so quickly? Because the parts we have in 2021 are not the same QUALITY as the Bosch units from 1984. It is not the fault of the relay kit assembler as they only have what parts are available.
Come to think of it, the Bosch dishwasher in my kitchen is just now 2 years old. It runs maybe twice a week. It was purchased as the best possible replacement for a Maytag. This month the Bosch pump and heater unit died. According to the forum posts, this is rather a common occurrence. I will order a new OEM part. Just like the one that failed. I see a pattern here.
The future is replacing replacement parts!
: )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

I just scrolled through the first couple of classified pages here. Are people really paying these prices? It seems nuts to me.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2464959

People keep trying, but I refuse to believe we are at a point where a nice, yet very average Vanagon Westy is selling anywhere close to $58,000.
I think there are a lot of very comparable vans out there for half that price. Even less than half of that price. This van is definitely decent for sure. But nothing ultra special.

And once again, if you're going to ask 2 or 3 times market value, you need to put 20 minutes into cleaning the van up and making it presentable. Don't post a photo of the odometer where all I can see is hair and dust. The engine is filthy. All that black plastic and rubber is easy to clean. Crack out the Armor-All and shine things up a bit. You have to put in some effort. That thing isn't going to sell itself.

My guess would be that this van sells for well under $25,000 in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

That price is crazy. I’ve got a really low mile van as well. I’m not selling, but if someone offered me about half that I’d seriously consider letting it go.

Seriously on photos. So many posting show filthy vans filled with the owners crap. That, or poorly lit photos that make you wonder what they are hiding. The other one I don’t understand are scans of film camera pictures with a 10 year old date in the corner or vertical screenshots of a picture on their phone showing black bars top and bottom with the cel phone data bar along the top.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:

People keep trying, but I refuse to believe we are at a point where a nice, yet very average Vanagon Westy is selling anywhere close to $58,000.
I think there are a lot of very comparable vans out there for half that price. Even less than half of that price. This van is definitely decent for sure. But nothing ultra special.

And once again, if you're going to ask 2 or 3 times market value, you need to put 20 minutes into cleaning the van up and making it presentable. Don't post a photo of the odometer where all I can see is hair and dust. The engine is filthy. All that black plastic and rubber is easy to clean. Crack out the Armor-All and shine things up a bit. You have to put in some effort. That thing isn't going to sell itself.

Is it me or does the drivers side rear panel under side rear window look repainted?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
I just scrolled through the first couple of classified pages here. Are people really paying these prices? It seems nuts to me.

People are smoking the good stuff more and more around the nation. Cool

Yes, it is nuts recently and no, none of them are sorted to be worth asking prices.

I guess a "dreamer/sucker" is born everyday and there is no end in sight. Shocked
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

$58K for a fair to good 86K mile Westy is nuts.

But for $39K, $19K or 33% less, someone bought a clean, one owner 56K mile van on BaT which was an unusually high price for Vanagons.

This is more interesting than the $58K van above...
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-25/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
CanStan wrote:

Is it me or does the drivers side rear panel under side rear window look repainted?

I was wondering about that too. I couldn’t tell if it was the lighting or not? There definitely seems to be some variation between the front, middle, and rear panels. Either way. Repainted or not, that van will go for 1/3 of asking price in the end.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:

This is probably the best record of what people are paying for Vanagons.
https://bringatrailer.com/volkswagen/vanagon/

With this van being a reasonable example of an ordinary, 180K mile 2.1 wbx 2WD Vanagon selling at $20K.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-11/

Or this, bid to $15K, reserve not met...
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-7/

If these prices sound nuts then they are to you but they seem reasonable to me. My guess is that we agree that $58K for an average 2WD is beyond nuts.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

IMO, BaT is at least 20% over market rate. That is the upcharge for being selected for auction, writing out so much detail, and taking so many photos.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
IMO, BaT is at least 20% over market rate. That is the upcharge for being selected for auction, writing out so much detail, and taking so many photos.

If they sell then they are not over market rate. That IS the market rate.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Yellow Rabbit wrote:

This is probably the best record of what people are paying for Vanagons.
https://bringatrailer.com/volkswagen/vanagon/

With this van being a reasonable example of an ordinary, 180K mile 2.1 wbx 2WD Vanagon selling at $20K.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-11/

Or this, bid to $15K, reserve not met...
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-volkswagen-vanagon-westfalia-7/

If these prices sound nuts then they are to you but they seem reasonable to me. My guess is that we agree that $58K for an average 2WD is beyond nuts.
I really like the double stripes on the lower picture. Don’t know why, I just do..l.. Razz Razz Smile Smile
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

You're right. I meant compared to Craigslist/facebook/kijijijijiji/othermarketplace.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
...I really like the double stripes on the lower picture...

x2...the blue one above that is kinda cool too.

FWIW, I'll save these two for posterity in the "stripes/paint" thread... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
dobryan wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:

You're right. I meant compared to Craigslist/facebook/kijijijijiji/othermarketplace.

BaT has done a masterful job optimizing a marketplace for premium prices:
- Their inventory is curated and focused on the best 20%? 10%? 5%? of available inventory. On CL you can click through and see piece of garbage, that doesn't happen often on BaT.
- The product descriptions are extensive and open commentary keeps folks honest.
- They've accumulated a ridiculous number of shoppers and browsers in their target market. So many more than the folks who travel to Vegas for an auction.
- With that, all it takes is a couple of folks with a recent bonus check, inheritance, a pile of idle cash and a tug of nostalgia, insecurity, etc. and you have a formula for an irrational run-up in price (irrational for non-buyers).

Abscate wrote:

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

For sure. I'm still sad about a few vehicles that I was outbid on. Like this one https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-subaru-sambar/ By the time I decided to go up to 12.5k the auction had already passed that. Laughing But, because we lost that auction I decided to buy a Vanagon so it wasn't all bad.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
For sure. I'm still sad about a few vehicles that I was outbid on. Like this one https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-subaru-sambar/ By the time I decided to go up to 12.5k the auction had already passed that. Laughing But, because we lost that auction I decided to buy a Vanagon so it wasn't all bad.

Don't take this the wrong way: the (Vanagon) gods looked down on you with grace the day you lost that auction. Laughing

The beauty of CL is that I bought a first year BMWR100RS with a low serial number (which equals 40 mm carbs and headers, not 32 mm) than these that sold for more on BaT.

https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/motorcycles/?search=r100rs
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-bmw-r100rs-3/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1978-bmw-r100rs-4/
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-bmw-r100rs-6/

p.s. mentions of low serial numbers = Rolling Eyes Laughing

Abscate wrote:

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Vanagon vans and parts for sale Reply with quote

He's asking two grand for an incomplete non-running tintop in KY but someone should probably check it out for glass and body panels.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/447638043205334
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 123, 124, 125 ... 135, 136, 137  Next
Jump to:
Page 124 of 137

Jump to: