Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Digital Idle Stabilizer
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Okay so I think I have figured out why my van has been cranking/ no start as well as dying randomly.

I thought I properly tested my digital idle stabilizer and I could check it off the list but I have come to the conclusion that I am an idiot.

When I pull the plugs from both sides of the DIS and connect them together my van starts up no problem. I have tested this 5 times now and I think I just need a new idle stabilizer.

the problem is I can not find one ANYWHERE. Bus Depot has one but after waiting a week I got an email saying its back ordered till summer. I wouldn't mind but my van is kind of my daily driver.

I found another one on the Samba classifieds but its under the rabbit and I though I read that these are compatible with the Vanagon. They have the same connecters. I am wondering if anyone can give me info in this and are they compatible? mine was green and this one on the samba is blue. the one I tried to buy from Bus Depot was white. I don't know if color has anything to do with it.

Thank you

here is the link. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2250768
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Do you really need it? All it does is attempt to adjust idle by modifying timing. This was for emissions. If the van has a working auxiliary air regulator, you’ll likely never notice its bypassed.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

You can certainly run without it connected until you get a replacement you like.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

I have been running without a DIS for a decade at this point in time without issue
Nickel_Nackel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

okay i guess I can run it without but it doesn't hold an idle as stable as it did when it was in (when it was working)

the idle fluctuates quite a bit, I guess as long as its not dying its fine right?

with it bypassed and the van not holding idle perfectly does that mean there could be another issue? vacuumed leak or something?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Digital Idle Stabilizer Reply with quote

Are your idle valves connected? Power steering only has one valve. Vans with AC had 2 valves. Are you throttle plate switches working? Early digijet had 2 throttle switches. I believe the last of the digijets might have had a single switch like the digifant.

Why is the rpm changing? Vacuum retard and advance working properly?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: