Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

top speed is only like 60 mph. Wondering if the timing marks are off/when lined up TDC rotor points to number 1 cylinder not the notch on dist. notch on dist is pointing at number 3 cylinder. by the way dist is a 009 no vacuum advance .
Crank pully has not TDC mark only 7.5 btdc and 10 btdc marks. Motor runs good but i feel it should run way better. down low has good pickup but around 45 mph plus takes for ever to pick up speed. Thx for any help to a rookie with VW . Having a blast learning on this kit car. lol
sailtexas186548
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Put a dial indicator through the spark plug hole and check the pulley alignment to TDC, then you will know for sure
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

What are you driving? If it's a stock 1500 single port in a Bus or truck you just might be at the top of the class already. Posting in the Buggy section, maybe not a Bus but maybe you have the Bus transaxle with the reduction gearing?

Help us out here.
Luftwagen 2180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

I had a similar problem a few years back when I got my Buggy out for the year. My dizzy (009) advance plate was stuck and I wasn't getting any advance. Popped it loose and all good. Now I always remember to put a few drops of oil on the felt wick under the rotor at oil change time.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
What are you driving? If it's a stock 1500 single port in a Bus or truck you just might be at the top of the class already. Posting in the Buggy section, maybe not a Bus but maybe you have the Bus transaxle with the reduction gearing?

Help us out here.

Opie, a Maxi Taxi is something like this (probably even less aerodynamic than a bus).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Your distributor body should be installed so the condenser is towards cylinder #3. The notch should be towards #2.

Now, let;s take a step back for a sec. I've encountered so MANY people lately working on air cooled VWs who should, but do not know the cylinder numbers or firing order and have had them confused all over the place. There are only 4, so it's pretty easy.
- #1 right side of the car, forward, closer to the front (headlight end) of the car.
- #2 right side of the car, to the rear (tail light end)
- #3 left side of the car, forward, closer to the front (headlight end) of the car.
- #4 left side of the car, to the rear (tail light end)

Firing order is cast in the face of the generator/alternator tower.
It is: 1, 4, 3, 2.
To keep it easier to remember, if you start at #4, the firing order is:
"4, 3, 2, 1".

When you stand behind the car facing the engine, looking down at the distributor, the distributor should have a small notch in the top edge of the aluminum distributor body and it should be near 4:00 to 5:00. That is where the rotor should point with the engine off and the #1 piston at Top Dead Center (TDC). As the engine runs, the crank and generator pulleys will turn clockwise. Again, looking down at the distributor, the rotor should rotate clockwise too.

So the 1st cylinder to fire should be #1 (rotor at 4:00) - right front cylinder, then #4 (rotor at 7:00) - left rear cylinder, then #3 (rotor at 11:00) left front cylinder, and finally #2 (rotor at 2:00) - right rear cylinder.

But if it seems to be running well, the firing order is probably correct. Max timing with a light while the engine is revved up should be about 30° BTDC which is NOT marked on the stock pulley.

If your compression ratio is below 8:1 you can run regular gas. If you have more than 6: 1, it should run on premium gas.

Next question is "Which type of trans does the car have?" Gear ratios can seriously affect performance. So can a clogged air filter. And so can a throttle cable that is not adjusted right.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

With a 009, #1 is on the #4 spot of a vacume distributor (4-5 oclock), vacume distributor point to1-3 oclock for #1
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

He says in the 1st post that he has a 009.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Help us out here.

post states it all " 1967 Maxi Taxi " with what i believe is 1500 for sure a single port .guy i bought it from told me its a 1600 which i do believe he is wrong.
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

dustymojave :

Dude i have no clue on the manual tranny/gear ratio ect.

This VW is my first ever period and love learning on them.

timing is my major concern on this thing. like i said it fires right up first turn of the key. idles-runs smooth to me but timing marks are not adding up.

TDC rotor points to #1 right rear @ 1 o'clock .when done by watching the valves move on #1 cylinder crank pulley is at the 7.5 degree mark at split in case. but my case has a dimple just left of the seam spilt. condenser is facing crank pulley and notch on rim of dist body/no vacuum advance is pointing between number #3/#4 . i wonder if somebody put the dist gear in wrong ?

i have not yet pulled crank pulley to check and see if the notch is pointing at 9 o clock.

when i tried to set timing with test light at 7.5 hardly even wanted to idle so i did it by sound of the motor till it smoothed out and ran good.

Guys thx for all the post so far !!!!
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

bought the car for the wife as a birthday present back in feb.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

I had never heard of a Maxi Taxi before. That is a very classy birthday gift!

I don't think there would be anything gained by pulling the crank pulley. To my knowledge they only came with the key in one position. Same with the crankshaft so unless the key is missing altogether, it can't be wrong however over the years there were several pulleys with different timing marks at different positions so you may not have what you think you have.

It could very well be that the distributor drive gear is in the wrong position but as long as the wires on the cap are in the correct order it still should time up and run the same. There is just the question of whether or not the oil hole on the distributor shaft allows enough oil into the shaft bearing.

Timing by ear is a stab in the dark. If you don't have access to a pulley with the degrees marked on it then you can print off a paper one from the net and tape/glue it to your pulley. The next step is to pull #1 plug and locate the exact TDC to position your paper pulley. Now with a timing light you can set the max timing at 30* BTDC at 3000+ rpm and see where the idle timing falls.

That is about the best you can do with a 009. The stock timing marks on VW pulleys were never intended to be a match for the 009 distributor.

A 1500 by the way often has been upgraded to a 1600 as 1500 pistons and cylinders are nearly impossible to find. The 3 HP difference in power is hardly noticeable.

Don't forget the advice on the air cleaner and throttle cable adjustment. Either one will make you feel silly if they are the problem!

Years ago we had a Corvair powered Trike in our shop for some paint work. I asked the Boss how it felt for power and he told me a very similar story to yours. It took me two minutes to find that the throttle arms hit the aftermarket air cleaners at about 30% open!
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

here is a picture of the dist at what i believe is TDC.

Crank not at TDC

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

First off, how are you determining TDC? My method for an engine that is complete (dial indicators are all very fine for an engine with the heads off) is to weld a small bolt or screw onto an old spark plug so that it touches the piston, remove all the other plugs to give a better "feel", then with it in place (you may need to grind it off a bit to adjust length) touch the piston gently from both directions and mark those points on the pulley. Then you take a caliper and divide the results in half and make your final mark on the pully as the true TDC.

That punch mark on the case tells me that someone in the past has done this and the notch on the pulley could well be TDC but you need to determine that for sure. It could be old news from some previous engine build.

As far as the marks that are on the pulley now, they may or may not mean anything. I have added marks to many pulleys in the past with a 3 cornered file. I know I have seen a chart somewhere that showed the stock factory marks in relation the the engine sizes and years they were produced. Your engine could easily have a pulley from any year or size of engine.

Again with that distributor you have (the 009 was never installed by VW on any road car) the stock marks are of little consequence anyway. It needs to be set at 30* BTDC at full advance and it should fall around 8* to 10* at idle.

One of the problems we face now 50 years after these engines were produced is that very few of them are virgin unmolested original engines and parts are so interchangeable that what you have today could be a combination of any year or model. Then there is the myriad of aftermarket parts...
popeye613
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

First time for TDC, I went off the movement of the valves on # 1 cylinder till there was no overlap on the movement. Rotor was pointing toward #1 cylinder/#1 plug wire on cap as post on the first picture.

In the past i have use a paper towel or a rag pushed into the plug holes to determine TDC on small block chevy. TDC compression will blow out the paper towel/rag.lol

think it would be best to installed a different dist with vacuum advance ?

My biggest issue is I over think alot of crap.lol
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Luftwagen 2180 wrote:
I had a similar problem a few years back when I got my Buggy out for the year. My dizzy (009) advance plate was stuck and I wasn't getting any advance. Popped it loose and all good. Now I always remember to put a few drops of oil on the felt wick under the rotor at oil change time.

A 009 does not have a moving points plate. Underneath the stationary points plate are centrifical advance weights dampened by a spring. Yes, the felt wick under the rotor should be oiled to help keep the advance mechanism free moving. The static or idle timing on a 009 can be as high as 15 degrees.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

popeye613 wrote:
First time for TDC, I went off the movement of the valves on # 1 cylinder till there was no overlap on the movement. Rotor was pointing toward #1 cylinder/#1 plug wire on cap as post on the first picture.

In the past i have use a paper towel or a rag pushed into the plug holes to determine TDC on small block chevy. TDC compression will blow out the paper towel/rag.lol

All you have proved is that a TDC does exist. That's it! It's like being lost in foreign country and all you have determined this far is that there is a map in the glove box. You have to find out where on that map you are or you will be driving in circles for the rest of your life.

You need to determine EXACTLY where TDC is. Until you determine that you will only frustrate yourself... and those that try to help!

popeye613 wrote:
My biggest issue is I over think alot of crap.lol

I would say you are underthinking the importance of finding an accurate TDC!

popeye613 wrote:
think it would be best to installed a different dist with vacuum advance ?

Of course it would be best, the 009 is not an optimum choice for a stock street engine but a reasonably good 009 will allow that engine to run much much better than it is now. If you cannot get this one set to where it should be then adding another distributor with vacuum advance will only complicate things.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Your dist. body is 180 degrees out, notch should be pointed at pulley, not #3 cylinder...

Several thousand words already written, but one picture worth all the words...

Image shows vacuum diaphragm, but with 009 orientation is exactly the same....

And case timing mark is on case line not center punch mark left of case split....

If you run out of steam at top end I seriously doubt its timing (If correct) if you are getting full spark advance, you probably don't have enough carburetor (fuel /air) to produce the power you think you need for top end performance, VW engines with single center mount carb are notoriously under carbureted and can not produce the power we demand today...

A lot of people laugh at this book, but it will help to keep you on track and teach you tons of stuff about the VW parts to your ride....

https://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-...5443527123

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

popeye613 wrote:
here is a picture of the dist at what i believe is TDC.

Crank not at TDC

IF you believe #1 at TDC and rotor is pointing at #2 tower on dist. cap, the your distributor drive is 90° out of correct position...

And center punch mark is not case timing mark, case split line is timing mark, and closest pulley mark may be 7.5° BTDC... And if #1 is at true TDC the 7.5° should be about 2 inches to right of case split line...

Also there is a foolproof procedure to finding TDC, its called a interference stop ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RENhHI9n65I

Yes video show it being used on a V8, but concept works on any engine.... You can make stop tool from old spark plug and a bolt....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Maxi Taxi timing issues/rpm/mph Reply with quote

Yes it is 180* out Dale but that will not prevent the engine from reaching full power. That is strictly a cosmetic thing. A stock 1500 SP with stock Solex should have no problem cruising at 60 MPH in that light car and should top out at 75 or so.

Like both of us are telling him, he must start by finding a true TDC. If he is unwilling to do that then we cannot help him.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: