Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 Federal Bus Exhaust
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

Here is the sticker. It does say Catalyst but it doesn't say California.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by jhicken on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

Alright, I have more to add. A better view of the system that I currently have on my Federal bus [not CA legal]

And here is what I believe is a complete California '79 exhaust system.

And here is what the Federal exhaust system looks like.

So if I can use my current heater boxes/manifolds, it looks like I only need the '79 Fed only crossover pipe, the cat and muffler. I believe both the cat and muffler are available new. Also, considering the car has federal, stickers on it, the cat shouldn't need to be CARB approved. Is this correct?

Last edited by jhicken on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

jhicken wrote:
Alright, I have more to add. A better view of the 72-74 exhaust system that can be use on a '79 square port motor [not CA legal]

The heater boxes you show are square port and are not 72-74. Note that some of the exhaust parts of 80-83 aircooled Vanagons are very similar to '79 Bay exhaust pieces and could be made to work if need be.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The heater boxes you show are square port and are not 72-74. Note that some of the exhaust parts of 80-83 aircooled Vanagons are very similar to '79 Bay exhaust pieces and could be made to work if need be.

Yes, correct, I need to stop referring to it as that, only the muffler is '72-74.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

Here is what I believe I need to work with the heater boxes pictured above. Is this correct? Is there anything else [besides the muffler and tail pipe]?

JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

Yes. To get your exhaust back to '79 Federal you will need everything shown there. Most everything is available aftermarket except the crossover pipe.

You may need other parts if you're required to have an EGR system in place.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

JimmieH wrote:
Most everything is available aftermarket except the crossover pipe.

Other than the above drawing, will an 80-83 Vanagon crossover pipe fit? It looks close.

JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

Yes. The crossover was '79-83.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

Sweet!
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

JimmyH, this EGR filter looks a bit different than what is on your set up above, will it work? I believe the image is for an earlier bus.

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D071%2D131%2D617%2DA
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

Just curious as to how you will incorporate the O2 sensor in your exhaust setup. And in order for that to work, do you still have the CA ECU and wiring harness installed? And is the full throttle micro switch still functional on the throttle valve housing? All required for a proper CA system.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

I found some good info on the 1979 exhausts in the green Bentley Repair Manual. Engine section, page 15.

also saw this in the classifieds. looks to be a '79 California exhaust, not 78.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2445420
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
Just curious as to how you will incorporate the O2 sensor in your exhaust setup. And in order for that to work, do you still have the CA ECU and wiring harness installed?

Considering my car was originally a Federal car, I think I may try to go that route. It may be easier that trying to retrofit the CA parts. Thanks.

Last edited by jhicken on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
I found some good info on the 1979 exhausts in the green Bentley Repair Manual. Engine section, page 15.

also saw this in the classifieds. looks to be a '79 California exhaust, not 78.

If my current plan doesn't work out, I will for sure be checking that out. It's not that far to pick up. Looks like I still may need a muffler and egr, but the rest looks pretty good. Thanks!

Last edited by jhicken on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

If you are absolutely sure that your bus is federal you will not need the O2 sensor. The O2 sensor came with the CA exhaust. The emissions sticker on the inside of the engine lid will say that the vehicle conforms to US federal and California regs if it is a CA bus. That is what my bus indicates. It is definitely a CA bus. When I bought it all the CA parts were intact - exhaust, electronic distributor ECU etc. One of the very last 79's to come into California.

Have you decoded your M plate? That will once and for all determine which set up you need and may be handy if you get into any dispute with the CA testing folks.
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
If you are absolutely sure that your bus is federal you will not need the O2 sensor. The O2 sensor came with the CA exhaust.

I'm 99% sure it's a Federal Bus. I got it when I was in New Jersey and the folks I got it from were the original owners. I've since repainted it so the stickers on the engine lid no longer exist but I'm in the process of getting new non-CA stickers to replace them. It also does not say California on the VIN sticker. Now I decoded the M-Plate but I don't see where it indicates Federal or CA unless there is a special code for CA in which I don't think I have.

JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

I think 027 is M-Code for late bay CA emissions.

Your engine pics show the EGR port on the plenum. That’s Federal only for ‘79.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

Well, first of all the destination is a dead give away - New York. Mine says San Francisco. Second is the 027 M-Code as JimmieH says:

027 Compliance with exhaust emission standards M 157/M 251 California 211-234, USA - California

So lose any thoughts of using the CA exhaust. It is cumbersome, restrictive and contains many parts that are "unobtanium". In addition to the exhaust parts, there are at least 3 unique pieces of left side tin.

I recently removed all the unique left side exhaust parts etc. and went with a left side federal heat exchanger and tin, a 4 into one header with a Hedman collector with an O2 bung and a turbo muffler and tail pipe. So I run the CA computer, harness, O2 sensor and VW electronic distributor. It runs great. I do need to run some Air/Fuel ratio tests just to be sure of what is happening.

And as well, we have not had smog testing here in BC since 2015.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

Buy that van crossover pipe, it has an EGR flange and everything. Instal it, with a muffler, and RUN A PRE-TEST. This will tell you what tuning needs to be done, which parts need inspection, how close you are, AND the most critical piece of the puzzle… It will tell you about the shop. You will be able to get a feeling for their knowledge, work ethic, and desire to work with you on this puzzle.

All of this could be for nothing if you've got architectural issues in the engine, so it's nice to get readings before spending thousands. Make SURE the cat you want is also available before spending money on parts to instal it…

Like I said before, no smog shop in California cares about what pipes you have. All they look for are the components specified on the stickers, nothing else.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Federal Bus Exhaust Reply with quote

airschooled wrote:

Like I said before, no smog shop in California cares about what pipes you have. All they look for are the components specified on the stickers, nothing else.

Robbie

Got it, thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: