Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reflections on ten years of ownership
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctroutma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Reflections on ten years of ownership Reply with quote

Would love to see some more pics of the interior and the box setup you have. I have an EZ Camper but took out the fridge and middle seat and have been running something similar, but still experimenting. I need the box to serve as a bed extension or platform for dogs to lay on. My box is similar to the camping boxes I've seen at Boy Scout trips and I also added the table that was on the fridge to the side of the box.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Reflections on ten years of ownership Reply with quote

Our buses have a lot in common. I have had two kayaks up as well but I only have photos of a canoe on top:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That plywood interior works well for adaptability. The interior shot above shows enough detail. The box and the cupboard on the right just come out when I need loading space. They are not fixed to the body. The seat back comes off and actually serves as the foot of the bed (on top of the box). When I am sleeping the bus, the back seat is raised so it is level with the top of the engine compartment. The skinny storage areas on the sides don't hold much but they don't get in the way when loading 4 X 8 sheet goods through the back, or wide sofas.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plane_ben wrote:
I don't know if buses ever had a Bowden tube or not.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400171&highlight=accelerator+boden+tube
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Reflections on ten years of ownership Reply with quote

Don66bus wrote:

What I should do: Top end rebuild or bigger engine. Add an oil cooler for hot summer days. Install a temperature gauge. Change brakes to front discs and a dual master cylinder. Do a nicer interior.

Get both oil temp and pressure gauges. If you can only afford one of those gauges, get the oil pressure one.

Recommend going with the dog house shroud modified to install the 40% bigger type 4 cooler. Type 4 stock engines went all the way up to 2 liter, and you have no hoses to go bad on you.
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Reflections on ten years of ownership Reply with quote

Don66bus wrote:

What I should do: Top end rebuild or bigger engine. Add an oil cooler for hot summer days. Install a temperature gauge. Change brakes to front discs and a dual master cylinder. Do a nicer interior.

I've always gone near or at a 2 liter, but built the bottom-end like I was going to a race track. I now have a "street machine" w a 2332-4wheel disc, and some other pocket eating things like IRS.

Depends on what you are planning to do with it. Off-road just go dependable and keep the Reduction boxes.
Gauges are good IF you buy real good gauges<hard to come by and you almost need two to see if they are accurate. An oil cooler/sump just for larger capacity (not so much for cooling) is good. I now have twice the oil capacity which in itself seems to keep the temps down. My fan is switched at the dash w a dummy light b/c you cannot hear it (Curved blades)
Power in a Bus is nice-real nice, but if you are stacking canoes, just build a bullet proof bottom-end and a type of security while on the water. "hey that guy just put his boat in the water, let's take the Bus!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: