Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My temp light is flashing.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

88 2.1L.

My temp light started flashing intermediately last week and acting all weird. I think it’s an electrical problem.

My temp and gas gages stopped working all of a sudden then came back to life after 20 minutes they started working again.

The thermostat housing, thermostat, temp 2 and gage temp sensor are all new.

The coolant tank is full and overflow is within the lines. The car is definitely not overheating.

Which leads me to think this is some sort of an electrical issue but I don’t know where to start.

Any ideas?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

First step would be to temporarily disable the level switch, by unplugging it and jumpering the plug with a piece of wire.

You'll notice each time you cycle the key, the light flashes roughly 10 times. So, that both gauges worked and didn't work and worked again, sounds like they lost power temporarily. Triggering the light when they got power back.

So, you need to inspect the foil where the cluster is plugged in and the plug connector.

There are a couple vendors selling a rebuild kit for the electronics of the cluster if the foil is too problematic, Since the engine didn't quit, its likely not the ignition switch or the fusebox.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

Thanks. Will try that.

Weird thing is, I turned the key on just now and the light was not flashing. Everything else worked.

Started the car and it started flashing and won’t stop.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

A good way to clean the tarnish off blade terminals and the "T14" terminal strip is this pen made to clean stuff like that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EDPZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's basically a pen with small monofilament fishing line in a bundle coming out the end of the pen. Adjustable length it just cleans dirty copper terminals (any metal), without damaging them.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

Started the car just now, the gages were not working. Tapped on the back of the cluster and they started working. So I guess I’m taking it apart soon.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
Started the car just now, the gages were not working. Tapped on the back of the cluster and they started working. So I guess I’m taking it apart soon.

Channel your inner Fonzy....

or unplug and replug the 14 pin connector at the bottom right rear of the cluster and hope it was just loose or making bad contact.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

Hi,

I had the exact same problem. I did all of the above, to no avail.

Turns out it was the voltage reducer that did not make good contact with the connector on the foil:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
(picture credit GoWesty)

Unscrew, gently disconnect and sand/brush/clean the connectors, make sure the spades on the black female connector on the cluster are tense enough, dielectric grease, and off you go.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

Broken record here, but if you have to replace the foil, this kit is great and way less money than some other options.

https://www.vanagon.org/products/instrument-cluster-foil-repair-kit
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Hi,

I had the exact same problem. I did all of the above, to no avail.

Turns out it was the voltage reducer that did not make good contact with the connector on the foil:

[Pic] (picture credit GoWesty)

Unscrew, gently disconnect and sand/brush/clean the connectors, make sure the spades on the black female connector on the cluster are tense enough, dielectric grease, and off you go.

Thanks. I’ll try that in the next few days. Gotta replace the Speedo cable and install a 3D printed brace for the broken tabs in the cluster.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
...Turns out it was the voltage reducer that did not make good contact with the connector on the foil:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also be sure that little brass nut is tight.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Broken record here, but if you have to replace the foil, this kit is great and way less money than some other options.

ditto. easy install and super easy to debug.

BiWerks Design, LLC
rogertj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: My temp light is flashing. Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:

ditto. easy install and super easy to debug.

Yeap! Thats the one that I bought but havent been able to run the van but everything is lighting up with the key. Just dont forget to put 2 tie downs to the connector if you do this route so that it does not disconect from the main connector
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: