Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Master Cylinder Wiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: 1969 Master Cylinder Wiring Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hope I am doing this right. First post.

I am rewiring my '69 Beetle and everything I am finding is showing the Master Cylinder as having 2 ports with 3 wires going to each. My master cylinder has 3 different ports with 2 wires going to each. See picture if I attached it properly. My wiring bundle I am using (from JBugs) has 3 bundles. 2 with a black and a black and red wire and 1 with a blue and red. The diagram shows the black and black and red wires going to each side and the blue going to one side and the red to the other. Not sure how to wire it up when it is split into 3.

Any help is appreciated
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Master Cylinder Wiring Reply with quote

nevermind I found a video showing the correct wiring.
mclumber1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Master Cylinder Wiring Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, is your master cylinder stock? I don't remember my 69 having 3 spots to hook up wires, and my 68 only has 2.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Master Cylinder Wiring Reply with quote

That's the early style dual-piston MC used from '67-'69. It had three switches.
For wiring, reference the following wiring diagram:

You can see the two (2) MC switches (J3) and the brake warning switch (J6) just below the left headlight.

The main difference with the above diagram and the earlier '68-'69 wiring diagram is the flasher relay (J or J1) and E-Flasher switch (G1). Early relay was 7 or 9-prong. Later relay was 4-prong.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Master Cylinder Wiring Reply with quote

mclumber1 wrote:
Out of curiosity, is your master cylinder stock? I don't remember my 69 having 3 spots to hook up wires, and my 68 only has 2.

The later 2-switch MCs are replacements for the early 3-switch MCs. If your '68 has ever had the MC replaced it was upgraded/rewired to the 2-switch setup.

The only time you see that early style MC is if the car still has the original MC or if someone is building a 100% restored '67/'68. They would want to re-sleeve the original MC rather than replace them with a non-original part.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Master Cylinder Wiring Reply with quote

Obviously your inlet hoses are leaky, and maybe not the correct kind for brake fluid. Hopefully, that's the only reason the master cylinder is crud from leakage.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Master Cylinder Wiring Reply with quote

So turns out the wiring diagram/video i found out was also slightly different than mine. The one i found had the 3rd switch at the very end of the MC in line with it not perpendicular like the other 2.

Am I safe to assume for this unit the brake warning switch (J6) in that diagram is the middle switch and should be wired as such?

Side note - Picture was taken before i cleaned the MC up the picture made it look worse than it really is.
johneliot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Master Cylinder Wiring Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct on the middle switch.

There is no distinctly American criminal class - except Congress.
Mark Twain

69 bug - "The Grey Ghost"
dolppl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Master Cylinder Wiring Reply with quote

Excellent.

Next question: The wire going from the transmission reverse light switch that goes to the coil, the diagram i have shows an inline fuse holder. (Looks like S1 in the diagram a few posts before this one). Which inline fuse holder do i use and what fuse do i put in it. Not familiar with that and it didn't come with my kit.

Thanks
jetmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Master Cylinder Wiring Reply with quote

the inline fuse to use would be a glass style fuse about a 5 amp would work its just needed for the backup lights. So it would go from the + side of the coil through the fuse to the trans switch then to the backup lights.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Master Cylinder Wiring Reply with quote

dolppl wrote:
Next question: The wire going from the transmission reverse light switch that goes to the coil, the diagram i have shows an inline fuse holder. (Looks like S1 in the diagram a few posts before this one). Which inline fuse holder do i use and what fuse do i put in it. Not familiar with that and it didn't come with my kit.

Not sure what "kit" you are referring to? '67-later Beetles all came with the fuse holder and wiring.

Here is the OE fuse holder:

It uses the same 8A (white) GBC type fuse in the fuse box. If you can't find an OE fuse holder there are aftermarket ones that still use the GBC type fuses:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2203152

Having a fuse holder that uses the same type fuses as in the fuse box is convenient, but not required.
You can use any type of automotive 12v fuse holder if you are not concerned with originality. The fuse needs to power the two (2) 25W reverse lamps. This can be done easily with a 5A or 7.5A fuse.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: