Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Looks great!!!

Here in America we can get under coating in aerosol cans. That’s what I use on my bus. I don’t want to post a picture of my boss on your thread, so here’s a link to a couple of photos, I had similar results.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1915562.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1911451.jpg

Mmmm! Very nice richparker.
I’m not sure what I would actually advise anyone else taking on a similar job. Off the top of my head, if I was doing the same again on a bus in similar condition I think I would: needle gun, wire brush, hand sand with 80/120 grit, degrease, rust treat, rust encapsulator, black paint aerosol and then probably brush on the 2k underseal or go with aerosol underseal as you did. It’s a shitty job whichever way you look at it!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

On a more positive note, I had sprayed on primer and body colour on the edge of the wheel arch while the bus was masked up. It’s not a perfect job, but it’s got rid of a bit of surface rust on the bodywork for a while. I’ll try to get pictures.
Now I have unmasked the bus and I can start putting things back!
First up was the replacement brake hoses at the rear. Fairly straightforward once I found the right size flare wrench. I just need to work out the orientation of the plastic clip that secures the hard line in front of the transmission, I’m not sure whether it just clips onto the metalwork or if the inner flap of plastic has to bend back on itself! It probably only goes one way!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
richparker wrote:
Looks great!!!

Here in America we can get under coating in aerosol cans. That’s what I use on my bus. I don’t want to post a picture of my boss on your thread, so here’s a link to a couple of photos, I had similar results.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1915562.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1911451.jpg

Mmmm! Very nice richparker.
I’m not sure what I would actually advise anyone else taking on a similar job. Off the top of my head, if I was doing the same again on a bus in similar condition I think I would: needle gun, wire brush, hand sand with 80/120 grit, degrease, rust treat, rust encapsulator, black paint aerosol and then probably brush on the 2k underseal or go with aerosol underseal as you did. It’s a shitty job whichever way you look at it!

I used a 6” wire wheel drill attachment on the whole undercarriage and scraped any large areas that were flaking. Then rusty metal primer and the undercoating. Like you, I did it in sections to break it up. Shitty job, but very satisfying when completed.
’65 Deluxe Build
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I had a little time today, so I had a couple of goes at attaching heavy duty fuel injection hose and a filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. I misjudged the lengths at first, but as it has ended up the arc of hoses, filter and tap sit very stably with no stress on the filter or the joints.
I refitted the clip to hold the hard brake line in front of the transmission if anyone wishes to see it and I started repainting the shocks and the heater pods.

BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I would get rid of that flimsy plastic fuel filter before it becomes victim to a rock or other road debris and causes a hot mess (fire). Use an appropriate pressure rated filter in a metal housing.
(sold - but not forgotten)
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
I would get rid of that flimsy plastic fuel filter before it becomes victim to a rock or other road debris and causes a hot mess (fire). Use an appropriate pressure rated filter in a metal housing.

Thanks BUSBOSS, I think it’s ok. It’s a good quality Mann filter and the plastic is ‘soft’ rather than brittle. The fuel isn’t under pressure at that location and the filter will be shielded by the starter motor. Good call to consider it though.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:

I agree, I stopped using the plastic filters years ago. Better filtration and longer life out of a quality metal filter. I’m also not a fan of a filter between the tank and the pump as it could cause vapor lock.
’65 Deluxe Build
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

It seems like there are a lot of small tasks ahead, so I started with sealing the starter solenoid joint with RTV as per Bentley, then used the RTV to seal off the new heater mount plate and the block-off for the previous plumbing pipe outlets. All secured with nyloc nuts underneath, so a secure base for the heater.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Got the starter reinstalled. The top bolt is ridiculously inaccessible and I’m guessing can only be torqued with the engine out. I ended up passing the long bolt through from front to rear with the nut in the engine compartment.
Greased up the terminals and wired it all back up again.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Bled the rear brakes after reassembling the lines and hoses with my helper today. The old brake fluid looked filthy!
Rubbed down and painted a couple of sections of tinware, the tubes from the heat exchangers and the control pods. The crab apple tree in the garden was the best place to hang them!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

We have had some positive news after the uk has managed to get the Corona vaccine rollout working. Scotland has brought forward allowing travel outside your local area by over a week, so suddenly I have a deadline to try and get on the road by Friday!
I spent yesterday immersed in wiring. I had bought heavy gauge 4core flex to take power forward in two directions from the leisure battery fuse box. Actually, it is too heavy duty, as it’s verging on too thick (14mm) to feed through the body holes but at least it will be robust!
One section runs to the cabin for radio, interior lights, two 12v sockets and a feed for Bosch fog lights which I will fit later. The other section goes to the fridge, and a rear 12v socket and will provide a feed and an earth return for the diesel heater. The heater glow plug is sensitive to a voltage drop through the wiring, so the heavy gauge wire and separate earth will avoid this.
I finished late at night, so the pics aren’t great!

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

A nice ring strain relief on the lower collection of wires will take the pull of those connectors, and stop the, from shaking loose, too.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
A nice ring strain relief on the lower collection of wires will take the pull of those connectors, and stop the, from shaking loose, too.

I like the idea of strain relief, but I can’t picture what you mean, send a link if you can please!
I felt like I had a disaster today. I wanted to clean and grease the metal tubes that the heater control cables run through. One side worked perfectly, I ran a length of round 2core flex along the tube, taped som string to the end and pulled the string through. Then knotted a grease soaked cloth and pulled it through. Lovely!
On the other side, the flex stuck when I ran it from the front, so I pushed it through from the rear. A little stiff but ok. Taped on the string but it wouldn’t pull through, so tried to pull the string end back and the string snapped. So, now I only have the end of the round electric flex hanging out of the rear but it is jammed.

I have run some penetrating oil down the tube and left it overnight and tomorrow I will try to pull it out, maybe with a ratchet strap. My worry is that if it snaps, I’m buggered. I’ll be gentle, and I suppose I could heat up the tube to see if it helps. Fingers crossed!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

These heater cable tubes are a nightmare! I ended up attaching a ratchet clamp to the end of the stuck flex and heating up the metal tube and it eventually broke free. There was still a blockage though, so various sizes of wire and different bends and corkscrews on the ends eventually yielded the tape and string that had become detached yesterday. STILL a blockage, so I attached my long (coat hanger!) wire to a drill and reamed away, inside the tube until the coat hanger got stuck. Shit.
Back to the ratchet clamp and the wire finally came free with a bunch of old debris on it. There is still a bit inside the tube, but it is moving, so I’ve taken a break and I’ll try to fish or pull it out later. I’m trying not to swear!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

So, I’ve basically spent an entire day reaming, oiling, cleaning and fishing bits of compacted rag and dirt out of the heater control guide tubes. At one point (when the coat hanger was stuck fast) I thought I was going to have to have the heating permanently half on, or half off, until I could get a replacement tube welded in. I’m very glad I got it sorted and the tubes are intact and clean and greased.
I finished up by straightening out the inner wire of one control cable and feeding it and the new replacement through from the dash to the rear of the bus. Hope to get them adjusted tomorrow.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I’m on to some easier work now!
The rear end of the heater cables has several securing parts. There is a small plastic split collar that fits in the metal tube to stop the cable sheath poking out. Last time I refurbed I had to make one, but this time I have a new one!
Then there is the bellows, which slips over a two part tubing. The tubing clips into the bracket. There is also a C clip which I’m not certain of the function of, but I believe it clips over, forward of the metal bracket.
Pictures make it easier...

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I usually find it tricky to get the heater controls in good adjustment but once I mounted the newly painted heater tubes and control/flap boxes I just screwed up the barrel connectors with the controls at ‘hot’ and it’s perfect!
Actually, I did have to drill larger the hole in one barrel connector, as the new cable has a nice thick end but it’s looking good.
I know, there were some comments about the fuel filter, but you can see it’s well hidden above the heater tube.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Cracking on now!
Made a few massive holes for the heater ducting, which was scary! The outlets will be under the rock and roll bed, and at floor level into the rear cabin.
The heater is in now too and I’ve located the air inlet and exhaust fairly tidily and in line with all the requirements of the Chinese Diesel heater. The fuel supply will pass through a grommet in the floor to the underside of the heater.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Looking good!

That exhaust seems awfully low. Can you run it parallel and use an angled tip?
’65 Deluxe Build
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Looking good!

That exhaust seems awfully low. Can you run it parallel and use an angled tip?

Thanks.
I thought the same about the exhaust, so I’m considering raising it a bit but I’ll have to make a bracket. There’s a drain hole that needs to be at the bottom.
The photo is a bit deceptive though, it’s higher than the engine I think.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Jump to:
Page 57 of 72

Jump to: