Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Race Trim Seats/Options
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Race Trim Seats/Options Reply with quote

I’m going back and forth on what seats to run in my 73. Stock seats just aren’t a good option for me as I’m 6’2”. They need to be lower, and further back. I’ve searched the threads as well. It’s a lowered street car if that makes a difference to anyone. And I prefer a cloth insert as opposed to vinyl. I have had good luck with Scat Pro90’s in other VW’s. But I’ve always had to shorten the adapters. And I would have to have cloth inserts of my choice put in because I don’t care for Scat’s velour options. They also charge a LOT to do custom work on their seats so I would just have it done locally. Another option is Race Trim suspension seats. But I’m not a fan of bolting the mounts normally used with them over the stock rails and through the floor. And I would prefer the low mounts. And the wider seats. But I don’t know if that’s even possible to fit into a Thing. I don’t want to use junkyard seats from a modern car either. So if anyone has some advice and/or photos, please post them. I’ve been doing VW’s for nearly 37 years. But this my first Thing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BugsandJeeps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Race Trim Seats/Options Reply with quote

I am 6'5" and I run a set of Bestop Trailmax jeep seats in black vinyl. My car never came with seats and these are low back, affordable and look the part. Bought basic sliders for them and basically bolted them in with custom made mounts. They are pretty comfortable but could use some more padding in the back area.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Race Trim Seats/Options Reply with quote

I’ve thought about seats like that. But yeah, I think I could use more lumbar support for my old self. Do you have any pictures of them in your Thing? And the mounts you made?
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Race Trim Seats/Options Reply with quote

The previous owner of my Thing installed a pair of the Scat Pro 90s in mine. At first I was not really happy about it not having the original front seats but the Scats have grown on us and they are definitely an improvement over the originals. The previous owner was also a tall guy and he shortened the mounting base for the driver's side but not for the passenger side. I've since replaced it since I am not as tall so I have a shortened base if you're interested.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Race Trim Seats/Options Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
The previous owner of my Thing installed a pair of the Scat Pro 90s in mine. At first I was not really happy about it not having the original front seats but the Scats have grown on us and they are definitely an improvement over the originals. The previous owner was also a tall guy and he shortened the mounting base for the driver's side but not for the passenger side. I've since replaced it since I am not as tall so I have a shortened base if you're interested.

I might be interested. I’ll let you know. Thanks.
Madkel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Race Trim Seats/Options Reply with quote

when I bought my Thing, it was already modified a bit for offroad use and i wanted to drive it off road too.
15" wheels
29" tires
+1" fiberglass fenders on all corners.

While it did have the stock seats, it did not work for for my intended use.
Not enough bolstering and no head support (I gotta protect the neck fusion i had prior).
I looked at the Race Trim seats and quickly said NO
The head rest was not tall enough and the fabric was so course it felt worse than burlap.
I ended up with some Corbeau fixed highback seats in cloth. put some adjusters in the car and bolted the seats to them.

https://corbeau.com/baja-ss/

happy with the price and quality. they make lots of different seats (Fixed & reclining) (Low back & high back) so a lot of choices out there.

Good Luck.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Race Trim Seats/Options Reply with quote

Yes, I’ve been looking at Corbeau too. Mainly the Baja Recliners. Or the sport recliners. Two possibilities for sure. I’m calling Monday to see if they can do the Sports in a low back
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: