Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Do the supports and raft form on their own through artificial intelligence or do you create them from experience?

The model is processed through a slicer program that creates the gcode that the printer reads. The slicer will create supports, rafts and lots of other things with hundreds of settings and options. Slicing is a bit of a art form and takes a lot of test prints to perfect the settings for each different filament and sometimes models. I use Cura to slice my model. Its free and works very well.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
j.pickens wrote:
The light cover looks great!
Are you using a higher temperature 3D printer filament, like PETG?

PLA will warp badly in a bus parked in the sun.

This is PLA. A particularly bad quality PLA actually.

I have modified my printer to direct drive and all metal hot end so I can do the high heat and flexiables. Plan to get a roll of transparent Overture PETG. Apparently it prints very well. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07SB761QR
I haven't tried PETG but I have ABS and thinking it should be fairly similar to print.

Think PLA would be ok for the side lights here as the bus will never go over 40c in the sun. My ashtray vase I am making will be ABS as PLA will definitely distort on the dash.

I'm quite new to the 3D printing thing. Having great fun. Lot of tests prints and experimenting but getting good results and making lots of usefull stuff.

For functional prints, I've been using PETG for a while now.
PLA fails around 50-60C. It starts sagging and warping.
PETG is good to just under 100C, so its fine for normal around the house and car applications. I'd use LED bulbs in that fixture, though, even with PETG.

PETG is MUCH easier to print than ABS, and doesn't emit toxic fumes.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

We need an outside table when traveling. Very nice to have a low table to cook or make coffee on. Also it will fit under the awning nicely when raining.

Need it to store easily and only spot was under the bench. I will add two runners at top so it slides in just below the bench so we only loose about 1.5" of storage height.

The top will be heart nut like the cabinet tops and birch legs. Legs will fold flat and I will likely add ball catches to hold them in. Top and legs will have some material removed for weight reduction.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
We need an outside table when traveling. ....

yep, looks like the drawing. nice

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Great wood work!

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Legs assembled but need to test fit a stay before notching them into the legs.

Routed out the bottom for weight savings. Will likely remove some material form the legs also.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Legs assembled but need to test fit a stay before notching them into the legs.

Routed out the bottom for weight savings. Will likely remove some material form the legs also.

speed hole are great for racing Wink

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

^^ that table is a work of art
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Getting closer. Took a little material out of the legs. Makes quite a difference.

Parts all sanded. Just need to check fit with the braces before adding the finish.

StefDS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Epic interior build, and skills..

Applause
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

3D printed a brace for fitting. Will get some aluminum ones made but haven't got to it yet.

Set up the table and like the height. Perfect for cooking on while sitting in a chair.

One layer of shellac on the birch and stain on the heart nut.

peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Looks good. I thought you might have "sprung" the brackets to lock the legs into their upright position. How are you keeping the brackets in place?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
How are you keeping the brackets in place?

That is a bit of an experiment. The legs go past 90 so will try to stay up. The screw will have plastic tubing around and the brace will have a narrow spot at end so screw should sort of snap past and hold.

If that doesn't work well then I plan to inset a spring behind the brace and bore into the brace enough for a cap screw to catch in. That will allow the brace to snap into place and require it to be pressed in to unlatch.
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
peecee69 wrote:
How are you keeping the brackets in place?

That is a bit of an experiment. The legs go past 90 so will try to stay up. The screw will have plastic tubing around and the brace will have a narrow spot at end so screw should sort of snap past and hold.

If that doesn't work well then I plan to inset a spring behind the brace and bore into the brace enough for a cap screw to catch in. That will allow the brace to snap into place and require it to be pressed in to unlatch.

Sounds like that will work. Stunning build on just the table. Having the right tools helps a ton!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Time to get the BN4 running. Soon going to be camping weather though we did get snow yesterday.

First up is getting the metal cleaned up. Sand blasted and zink paint on inside of case. I found some paint locally for the case but not a great match. Will look for something else but need it before I can start assembly.

Exhaust is quite pitted but solid. Not sure there is anything I can do about the pits that will take the heat. Actually not sure how hot the exhaust runs on these.

Air intake needed a new flange. Made one out of 22 gauge steel. I will clean up the tube and fill the rust pitting.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Found correct paint.

Primer over metal and then a very thin layer of paint. Basically misted it on. Soon as that was tacky I put on a thick coat. Very happy with it.

Now I can start assembly.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Finally got the outside table top finished. Ended up getting almost done twice and had to sand it all down to clear wood and start over. Never had a problem with any of the other parts I finished.

Came out good in the end. Should get it assembled tonight.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Table done. That was more work than I expected. Very happy with it though.

Came in at 12 Lbs. I probably could have made it lighter but would have lost strength.

Legs snap in place quite well. I put a section of plastic tubing on the screw so it would snap past the narrow part in the arm.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

I'm fully expecting to see that bus in Fine Woodworking magazine on the cover.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper interior build on a 64 Kombi Reply with quote

Started assembling the heater. Mostly just placing stuff and seeing what I need. Going to 3D print a rubber boot for the spark plug and for around glow plug/jet.

I will cut the braded fuel line out and replace with new fuel line. Hate to do it. It looks great but no way to tell how long the old rubber inside will last. Also not sure what clamps to use on the new tubing. One old heater had twisted wire for clamps. Maybe I can find crimp rings in the correct side. They would look much nicer than worm gear clamps. Not sure spring clamps would hold.

I need to find some copper tube for filter to pump. One I have is not the same but can solder the ends on a new longer tube if I can find the correct size. Smaller than anything I can find locally.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 27

Jump to: