Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty Cotton Tent - fitment issue?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: GoWesty Cotton Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Hey folks. I installed the cotton GW replacement tent on my Westy this week. Overall, I am very happy with the tent quality and installation went well. However, I noticed that the tent pulls and shows stretch creases on the sides, more prominent on the driver's side.

I insured proper alignment of the tent and everything is very symmetrical. The tent was very tight all around, especially at the lower front & back corners. And the front panel is very taught when the top is open. I am not sure how I could have installed it differently as there was no wiggle room. Is this pulling to be expected? Maybe it will settle after some use?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

It looks like you should be able to pull the tent material tighter on the sides. BTDT. I had to remove the screws (not at the corners though) for the side and pull the tent material inside enough to eliminate most creases. (This was years ago and not a GoWesty tent but the technique should be the same.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Agree, pull the lower sides towards the rear.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Looks ok to me. In order to shift it, your going to need to punch additional holes in the material and those tiny sheetmetal screws and holes can handle only so many cycles. I’d give it 10 days to decide if it’s acceptable to you.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Unless the screws got damaged when you installed it they can likely take another round of setting.

The Western Syncro build
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
It looks like you should be able to pull the tent material tighter on the sides. BTDT. I had to remove the screws (not at the corners though) for the side and pull the tent material inside enough to eliminate most creases. (This was years ago and not a GoWesty tent but the technique should be the same.)

Had to do the same thing with my BusDepot tent.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. No harm letting it sit a few days and see how it irons out. Not a likely scenario though, so I will try tightening the rear lower sides a bit if that fails.

This is the first time the canvas has been replaced, so I do think the screws can stand another turn.

A side note... the original canvas is in pretty good shape aside from a dry rotted screen. Is there a market for these with maybe a screen replacement? I hate to throw it away.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Yes. I sold my decent condition original tent when I upgraded to a three window version. Not sure what they are worth now though.

The Western Syncro build
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Leave it open in warm sun and it will "stretch and settle" is what they told me via customer service two years back.

I did a Sunbrella version which has never fit well (the front window is beyond tight!) and was "un-returnable" to GW. Rolling Eyes I wish I had done the NorthWesty tent looking back.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Squidfish wrote:
Leave it open in warm sun and it will "stretch and settle"...

Sounds like the painters who assure you 'It'll look fine when it's dry'.

My canvas probably looks baggy by many folks' standards but the original was drum tight and finally started to fail at the seams.

15 years on this one and it still seems happy & relaxed:

valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Squidfish wrote:
Leave it open in warm sun and it will "stretch and settle" is what they told me via customer service two years back.

I did a Sunbrella version which has never fit well (the front window is beyond tight!) and was "un-returnable" to GW. Rolling Eyes I wish I had done the NorthWesty tent looking back.

i posted about my BD sunbrella here and my result wasnt drum tight perfection, even though it was a bear to install at the rear corners having no stretch...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9572107

im fine with it not being drum tight though, no sense stretching the thing to open up the seams.
YMMV Razz

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, when you fastened the sides did you start in the center or work all from one end?

Side note, if I ever do another tent I’m going to use 3 awls. It seems like pushing three through then pulling one out to install a screw would be much easier since the other two awls hold everything in place.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

There appears to be a lot of available "give" in these tents, allowing for the installer to "massage" the tent a bit on installation. The pic below shows just how much "give" there is available:

I don't recommend going that far in using the "give".
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

historically, canvas camping tents have not tried to achieve total tautness. the cotton fabric swells with rain and become pretty water tight after it has soaked up a bit. push against the fabric with something and water will seep in.

given that others have had canvas seams pull apart after taught installs. canvas needs to breathe and shrink and swell with the conditions. it'll shrink over time. save the drum look for Sunbrella.

personally, i love the canvas tops. they release interior moisture to the outside, feel good, sound good when when rain hits them, and are 'waterproof enough' if you don't have your head up your rear end.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
...personally, i love the canvas tops. they release interior moisture to the outside, feel good, sound good when when rain hits them...

And on a windy night it sounds like you're in the fo'c'sle of a frigate.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

So I reworked the bottom edge of the tent today and am happy with the result. I am hoping it smooths out a little more after some use.

After loosening the rail, there was a good bit of slack available - 1 1/2 inches or so. I ended up snipping the bottom edge of the tent at the front and rear of the sides and folding the plastic beading strip back on itself once to take up some slack.

Snipped and folded (need to clean that up a bit):

Bead folded back on itself; now on the outside of the metal rail:

Finished product:

'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L

Last edited by Vanuber on Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Yellow Rabbit wrote:
Out of curiosity, when you fastened the sides did you start in the center or work all from one end?

I attached each end and then started in the middle working out. However, I propped the top partially closed so give it slack and ran the tent bead right along the edge of the metal trim.
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Nice looking van. Simple, clean. Tent looks great!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Looks great now. Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Cotton Tent - fitment issue? Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments!
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: