Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Conditioning Restoration Project
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

1988 Westfalia.

Previous owner decided to pull out the rear AC, headbanger cabinet and rear closet to make the bed wider which I actually kind of like but I am now going to restore the AC system.

I have managed to collect most of the parts needed.

The plan is the replace the condenser with a modern one. Restore a 709 compressor, re make the hoses with modern hoses. New Dryer, refurbish the blower motors and clean the original evaporator.

He left all the wiring so it seems but i have another set.

Step one is refurbishing the compressor. I bought a set of back and a set of front seals on eBay. Going to clean it up real good and put all new seals while making sure all the components are good.

I’d take any tips while doing that if you have any. Here’s some pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Condition restoration project. Reply with quote

I kind of cleaned everything but will continue to disassemble the whole compressor to bits, clean, inspect and put back together.

Deberius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

Applause Popcorn

Just wow!
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

I went on to disassemble the compressor and I’m not sure it is worth restoring.

Can anyone with experience give their opinion in the condition of the internals?

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

I rebuilt the entire system on my 90 camper. It worked awesome for a few days. Turned out the compressor was weeping freon. Ended up with a replacement compressor from Rock Auto. Kicked myself for not replacing the compressor after all that effort. Your call. I was impressed you were willing to reseal yours.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

Yeah, I feel like djkeev has experience here. I'm pretty sure he'd drop all the bits to soak in the
ultrasonic overnight, brighten all gasket surfaces with 320 grit in circular motions on a glass table,
reassemble with Hylomar, week long documented bench test running from 60 to 3600 rpm in 1.5x
increments @ 12 hours per step, then tear it all down again for post-test inspection.

Important final steps: buy new 709 unit from Nostalgic air, install as is, be cool & happy.

Laughing Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I rebuilt the entire system on my 90 camper. It worked awesome for a few days. Turned out the compressor was weeping freon. Ended up with a replacement compressor from Rock Auto. Kicked myself for not replacing the compressor after all that effort. Your call. I was impressed you were willing to reseal yours.

I like the challenge and I love restoring things. Just don’t have enough experience to determine if it is worth it or not.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

I like a challenge too. Lost one charge of freon to the atmosphere over a week, had to recharge a second time to find the microscopic leak that ended up being the compressor. That included checking all my new fittings for leaks. Some not so easy to access. Then recover the freon, replace the compressor that I could have installed originally, adjust the belt and evacuate and recharge again. Wasn't worth the fire drill.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I like a challenge too. Lost one charge of freon to the atmosphere over a week, had to recharge a second time to find the microscopic leak that ended up being the compressor. That included checking all my new fittings for leaks. Some not so easy to access. Then recover the freon, replace the compressor that I could have installed originally, adjust the belt and evacuate and recharge again. Wasn't worth the fire drill.

That’s why I want to rebuild the compressor. I have a new seal set.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

Technically you are resealing the compressor not rebuilding. Wink I don't see anything glaring. As long as the reed plate sits flat and you can reverse it. The piston cylinders look ok. So, I'd say it sounds like you want to reseal it and install it.

As I outlined above, if it doesn't work, you are only out the seal kit and your time. Maybe some freon. I vote to go for it. Best of luck.
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

It looks like you're already planning on doing so, but if you can have a detailed write up with pictures documenting your process, it would be of incredible benefit to the community. There's not much information about retrofitting the factory AC properly, and I plan to do it at some point.

Thanks much! Looks like you're doing awesome work and have a high standard of detail - both great things.
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

Honestly I prefer using new genuine Sanden compressors.
When you factor in the rebuild kit prices, getting a new compressor isn't much more of a step.

Vintage Air has great prices but their shipping kills you!
Sanden 709 side exit, if you are rebuilding the system you are making new hoses anyway.

JEGS sells vintage air products with free shipping!
Vintage Air even drop ships them......

https://www.jegs.com/i/Vintage-Air/960/04709-VUA/10002/-1

I'm on the same journey with my 90 but got side tracked!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

zoti wrote:

You can buy a new Sanden replacement.
No. 4434, with other numbers too for some reason: 4447 and 1101160.
I used this replacement a couple years ago.

$195 (Free shipping if there's more you need that totals over $250.)

https://www.acparts.com/product/new-original-sanden-compressor-4434/

Only three (edit: FOUR) differences compared to the original:
1. Updated design for R134a
2. The head is "clocked" 90 degrees out from the original
3. Has a different electrical connector
Added: 4. The "pad" type hose fitting on your van may be about 2mm too long to seat properly and may need to be trimmed off with a Dremel or other cutting tool. (Sorry to forget this one in my original post.)

To correct the "clocking" orientation in order to get the fittings to line up with the van's orientation you can remove the head, rotate, and reinstall OR simply rotate the entire unit 90 degrees which is what I did.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

Although more cost up front, you might also take a look at a variable displacement type:

https://www.acparts.com/product/new-original-sanden-compressor-1222/

This is the compressor I've been running on mine and it is smoother, pulls less HP unless the system is calling for maximum (160cc) displacement. Given the BTU requirement of the Vanagon Big Box, a variable won't save as much as it does on a "normal" vehicle, but it's definitely a savings. R-134a as well. About the only thing that ever fails on them is the PRV, but it's $50 and a freon charge if it does.

Just another option.
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
zoti wrote:

You can buy a new Sanden replacement.
No. 4434, with other numbers too for some reason: 4447 and 1101160.
I used this replacement a couple years ago.

$195 (Free shipping if there's more you need that totals over $250.)

https://www.acparts.com/product/new-original-sanden-compressor-4434/

Only three (edit: FOUR) differences compared to the original:
1. Updated design for R134a
2. The head is "clocked" 90 degrees out from the original
3. Has a different electrical connector
Added: 4. The "pad" type hose fitting on your van may be about 2mm too long to seat properly and may need to be trimmed off with a Dremel or other cutting tool. (Sorry to forget this one in my original post.)

To correct the "clocking" orientation in order to get the fittings to line up with the van's orientation you can remove the head, rotate, and reinstall OR simply rotate the entire unit 90 degrees which is what I did.

Jim Davis

How did you adapt the one wire of the new compressor to the connector on the van? I believe the old compressor has 2 wires.

I am going to make all new hoses anyways.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

There appears to be two wires, but they're not routed together.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

Up here in the Great White North, we often can't get the auto parts deals you Yanks can get or else we have to pay ridiculous prices. I have problems with the compressors on the S4 and the S6 in the fleet. They both have no difficulty keeping up with the heat, but they leak refrigerant. I completely rebuilt both systems with new hoses, condensers (both stone-strike damaged) o-rings, accumulators, etc, etc. The only potential leak point I did not address were the compressor shaft seals.

These Zexel compressors are mandatory since the climate control unit is looking for the speed signal, otherwise I would consider a less expensive unit for replacement. So, I am going to replace the shaft seal on one of these compressors and see whether a weekend hack like me can do this without screwing up. Obviously, if there is any shrapnel at all (including bits of teflon) in your system, this approach will not work as the piston rings will be the culprit in that scenario. But if the opened system is clean and the compressor was not noisy previously, then a seal replacement is a viable fix.

I found a couple helpful resources online:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIeqahYPrCQ

2. https://www.shopcenturyautoair.com/store/c5/Compressor_Tools.html (these are inexpensive seal-installation tools that you MUST have)

As much as I have played with, built and rebuilt AC systems, I have never replaced a compressor shaft seal before, so this will be interesting. If it works, then I save $900 on compressors and eliminate my Ebay delivery wait time.

On that Sanden 709 in the OP's pictures above, the only thing jumping out at me was the shims/races that bear against the radial needle bearings. You can clean up that brinelling by rubbing those items on, say, 1000 grit paper on a glass surface. Be sure to touch up the surface on the compressor shaft that contacts the shaft seal using a very fine Scotch-brite pad.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
There appears to be two wires, but they're not routed together.

The spec sheet says this, not sure if they mean the bullet jumper is another wire to ground or what?

"Wire Type: 1 Wire Male Packard #12015791 W/ Diode & Bullet Jumper"

Maybe they are grounding it through the body mounts?

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Air Conditioning Restoration Project Reply with quote

I’ve sourcedinternal compressor AC partsfromTaiwan but had to aggregate orders to make the import costs work. Luckily, my customers are in areas where they can live withoutAC for 9 months and save one time costs.

The parts inside are amazingly cheap. I rebuilt a Sanden variable compressor for under $30 in parts. Seals must be replaced.

Leak test first with vacuum, then with propane, not Freon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: