Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakeracer69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam Reply with quote

I have a mild lift and mild duration cam from Schneider, they don't specifically call out what lifters to use. Motor will be a 2180.

SCAT has 3 offerings that I see as well as the SLR offerings which are phosphate coated.

SCAT offerings:
Super Duty 72
Lube-a-lobe with .024 hole
High-rev lightweight solid

Wondering which SCAT one SLR modifies for his.

I even looked at UDO's and it says not for SC-1 blanks.

Which one do folks think should be used with an SC-1 cam blank?

Thanks in Advance
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam Reply with quote

Take my advice with a grain of salt since I've not built or run my engine yet, but I went with the Super Duty 72g lifters for my SC-1 ground FK46 cam.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam Reply with quote

Breaking in an engine now with a SC-1 and Thorsten lifters.

SLR normally uses regular SCAT lifters, not the ones with he window in the side.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam Reply with quote

Udo’s lifters will work...ask him
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam Reply with quote

So do Johnson lifters. I'll be turning the key on a scat type 4 / Johnson lifter combo in a few days time.

Last edited by GARRICK.CLARK on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam Reply with quote

Steve Long uses Scat blanks and re-grinds both the lifter and the cam so they match as a set.
Never one issue....

Nobody got no time for flat cams...
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

Aircooled.net's description specifically says don't use them with an SC-1...I'm confused.

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Udo-Becker-Tool-Stee...ifters.htm

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam Reply with quote

I started a thread on Udo Becker lifters. The very last post on page 2 is directly from Udo himself.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731868&highlight=udo+becker
kangaboy wrote:
txoval wrote:

Aircooled.net's description specifically says don't use them with an SC-1...I'm confused.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam Reply with quote

kangaboy wrote:
txoval wrote:

because they will chip/pit...
Ask me how I know
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam Reply with quote

The Udo lifters didn't chip because of the cam blank, they chipped because of an error with the hardening process.

Same happened to my Udo lifters with an EP12 blank. Udo is replacing the lifters, granted it has taken 4 months...bad batch of lifters unfortunately

Udo will tell you his lifters will work with any cam blank.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another which SCAT lifters with an SC-1 cam Reply with quote

I pulled apart 3 motors I've built using scats and all looked perfect. 2 with the standard "lightweight" (heavy though) and one with the 72g windowed ones.

One was on a c25 with HD singles

72g version was on a web 163 with VW duals

I cant remember the 3rd specs..

I was going to use the windowed version again but went with "web" lifters. They just look like the standard scats and weigh the same (80 something grams).

It appears the pitting issues of the past are gone. If you use the windowed ones I would make sure to soften the edges of the windows and make sure they dont leak from the pushrod cup to inside the windowed area (I've heard of an issue).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: