Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

When I research replacement hazard switches , I see several different part numbers. This is the “ dead “ switch in our bus. I have NO IDEA if it is original to the bus , and want to make sure I replace it with the correct switch. Anybody know the correct part number? This switch reads# 211 953 235A. Thanks, Bob
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

Found this searching that number in the classifieds: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2433062
It's the one you need.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

Bus Daddy, you have always given me solid advice! But, we run into the same problem I have seen many times; “bus 68- 72”... and my bus is a ‘76. Some sites and ads say; “ bus 74-79”. Are you sure? Bob
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

i would also be wondering if it is new crap, vs original high quality. why not call busted bus, or search the classifiedes for "parting out" a 76?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Ranch wrote:
Are you sure?

6 terminals on the plastic area and a resistor, yep.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

You can tell just by looking at the wiring diagrams that the switches 68-69, 70-71, 72, 73-79 all all different. That's just considering
the electrical functions. Clearly vendor's application notes are ALL messed up, unless they're indicating that a switch can be "adapted"
to work with model years that used a switch with a different part no. That, or a junkyard part, may be all that's available.

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

Sorry it’s taken me a bit to get back to you all. Bus Daddy, look at these additional pics. NO resistor ! So, maybe the mystery is not yet solved. What was happening was that the flasher would interfere with the turn signals, and if you moved the pull switch “ just the right way” it would stop flashing and let the turn signals work.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

How can you tell there's no resistor unless you clean off all that crap?

Слава Україні!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

Ok. I will after church. Just didn’t want to “ violate the integrity of the scene” ! Pics will follow. Bob didn’t get to cleaning up the dash yet.... been spending any of my “ extra” time underneath cleaning the underside ; you know ... on your back looking up and having junk fall all over you. BUT , making progress. It’s definately not the same bus anymore.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

Looking closely at those pics it appears there's 8 terminals, seems the A switch is for the early models, too many new parts suppliers subbing the wrong parts lately has skewed looking up part numbers it seems. Various Googles of that number now come up with an assortment of terminal configurations, many claiming they fit all years too. Confused

That "A" switch I linked isn't really a true A, it's the G switch and will work for buses with separate signal bulbs, like your 77.
Or if you want original German here's some: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2262905

Although there's no real reason the switch you have can't be used in a later bus, leave the brake light circuit disconnected and it does the same thing the G switch does, the only thing it won't do is glow when the dash lights are on, don't connect the dash light wire to anything on it.

Слава Україні!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

Updated pics, cleaned switch

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

Yeah, looks like a 69-71 switch, if you don't care about it glowing with the dash lights it can be wired to work, give me a list of your wire colors and terminal numbers if that's the route you want to go.

Слава Україні!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

Bus Daddy, you never fail me . I will make a diagram and will post it. This has been the problem with this bus. Different parts from different years. But then, maybe with a 45 year old bus this has become the norm in the past ten years since I restored my 78? Bob
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

Usually it's the opposite, most new parts sellers say the switch they sell fits all years, but doesn't even come close to working on a 69-71 with the combined signal/brake lights. You have the opposite problem, and it looks like a real German switch too, likely whoever installed it put the wires back in the same spots without reading the terminal numbers (they move around over the years).

Слава Україні!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

But, if you wiggle the knob around to just the right position , the hazards don’t interfere with the turn signals ( from what I remember from June of last year!) There is no engine in the bus right now, so I can’t even test the switch. In other words , I don’t know for sure now if the switch is defective, or if the problem
Is how the switch is wired. Might just have to wait until I get the motor back in, and reconnect all of the wiring. Everything is disconnected in the engine compartment . I replaced all of the wiring terminal ends where needed, repaired or replaced split wires, cleaned all of the grounds. In a couple of days will finish some detail painting , install a hatch ( great kit) for sending unit access. Wheels out getting powder coated, just got my RA018’s from Amazon. The tires that the PO had on the bus were 2 ply, 195/70 with 1200 pound rating! Sold them. This has been a massive project , so I can wait a little longer. And replaced the shifter bushings.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy ? Reply with quote

Bus Daddy, thank you for all of your help. Let’s revisit this issue when I get the bus running again, which I hope is very soon. Bob
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Correct hazard switch for 1976 Westy SOLVED Reply with quote

Went to Phoenix to drive our bus, motor installed!!!! The turn signals stopped flashing on the test drive, and hazard inop as well. All lights would come in front and back, just no flashing.... so, replaced the relay by the fuse box. Problem fixed. Both turn signals and hazard switch lighting work fine. Thank you all for your input.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: