Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eagle Cam compatible followers
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

I'm curious what anyone here has used for cam followers with an eagle cam. I originally purchased the Brazilian followers recommended on the ac.net site. I've noticed that recently they have a picture of Engle followers suggested with the Eagle cam, however the units sent to me at the time are the Riosulense brand. I had to tear back in to the engine and I'm not really happy with what i see on the Riosulense followers. I have a set of Engles and will probably use them but wanted to ask for opinions. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

What did you see on your current lifters?

Eagle cams are made by CB-call them and ask what they recommend..
https://www.cbperformance.com/Cams-and-Lifters-s/1...amp;page=1
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

Riosulence Brazilian (orange box), Moresa/IAP lifters (blue blister pack), any tool steel lifter, any CB lifter - the $30 set is Riosulence. I think even Scats will work. The lifter just has to be harder than the cam.

If it didn't fail at break-in, then it was compatible. If it had some pitting issues or whatever, it was still compatible. It just wasn't good quality.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Riosulence Brazilian (orange box), Moresa/IAP lifters (blue blister pack), any tool steel lifter, any CB lifter - the $30 set is Riosulence. I think even Scats will work. The lifter just has to be harder than the cam.

If it didn't fail at break-in, then it was compatible. If it had some pitting issues or whatever, it was still compatible. It just wasn't good quality.
Thanks. That is my concern, some slight pitting in the center...kind of a dull gray. I can't feel it and the lifters are still proper shape, but I didn't expect to see this at only 1000 miles. And if thats the case on hardness then I should be ok with Engle followers. I understand they are one of the harder sets and I happen to have a set in stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

I have not seen any wear problems with engle lifters.
Material seems to be good and the face is machined well.

They are slightly heavy, the heads are too thick, the body diameter runs on the small side, and for time they were out of stock.

Do not know why John C. would recommend what he did, but perhaps he may be wanting to avoid complaints about needing to clearance the case for enough travel, or some other reason.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

Stay with Eagle lifters.

unless you have a hardness tester and a radius gage you can use to measure the cam and lifters, stay with common brands.

Mixing different lifters with different make cams is stabbing in the dark...
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

Too bad the old Bugpack lifters are NLA.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Stay with Eagle lifters.

unless you have a hardness tester and a radius gage you can use to measure the cam and lifters, stay with common brands.

Mixing different lifters with different make cams is stabbing in the dark...
I agree, however Eagle doesn't make lifters. I did decide to change out the others and go with Engle. Once I examined them up close I wans't happy with what I saw.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

Part # 1512 or 1537 are offered on CB's website.

That's what you get when you order a cam and lifters from them.

Big track record of motors to back up the compatibility with.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Part # 1512 or 1537 are offered on CB's website.

That's what you get when you order a cam and lifters from them.

Big track record of motors to back up the compatibility with.
Yes, I used the 1512 followers. They are the Riosulense brand. I just didn't trust the way they looked so decided to try others.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

Pitting is more often than not improper cam/lifter break in. Most of the time due to not enough rpm, temperature and zink content in the break in oil. "dried out" lifters due to prolonged turning on the starter can do it too. - I am NOT saying that that is what you have done, but sometimes when I see people upload the start up of their brand new engines it REALLY makes me cringe. Turning the engine on the starter for several minutes until they find the timing and oil pressere is simply just a no go. Those things need to be taken care of BEFORE you attempt to start the engine.
That said, if you are using dual springs I would not use the Brazil lifters.
IMHO, Eagle cams = CB lifters. And their racing lightweights are really ice lifters for the money.
I would never use Engle lifters on anything but Engle cams, and even then I´m weary. They are too heavy for my taste.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

My setup was all stock including springs. I've decided to use single HD springs from CB. They recommended them for the cam and I didn't install them originally. Well I will let you know how the Engle work out because they are installed. This is just a stock 1600 with fuel injection otherwise. Not looking high rpm so I don't think a heavier lifter will be an issue
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Pitting is more often than not improper cam/lifter break in. Most of the time due to not enough rpm, temperature and zink content in the break in oil. "dried out" lifters due to prolonged turning on the starter can do it too. - I am NOT saying that that is what you have done, but sometimes when I see people upload the start up of their brand new engines it REALLY makes me cringe. Turning the engine on the starter for several minutes until they find the timing and oil pressere is simply just a no go. Those things need to be taken care of BEFORE you attempt to start the engine.
IMHO, Eagle cams = CB lifters. And their racing lightweights are really ice lifters for the money.
I would never use Engle lifters on anything but Engle cams, and even then I´m weary. They are too heavy for my taste.
I agree on the rpm, I've seen that myself. Only thing I can think of is that this engine ended up sitting for months after being assembled. I didn't want to do that, but life had other plans. I do have the engles installed and will break them in later this week. Do you think the weight will be an issue on an otherwise stock engine? I have installed CB single HD springs and will insstall a solid rocker shaft also
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

I take it that it is one of the milder cams, so no, it should not be a problem.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
I take it that it is one of the milder cams, so no, it should not be a problem.
Yes its their 2280 cheater cam. You had helped me out with advice on that cam not functioning properly with fuel injection. I have to update that thread to let you know what I discovered
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:

Hmmm. on the pitting: I have not found that to be true.
Pitting in my experience is a hardness compatibility issue.

I have broken-in plenty of cams the correct way.
I used to see pitted Scat lifters when using them on Engle and Web cams.
Back 20yrs ago when there was a rash of failures in the industry. (and before I knew better).

Use a Scat lifter on a Scat cam (blank) and they look perfect after many miles.

This is the reason I only use SLR cams and lifters. Steve uses Scat parts, and grinds the lifters and cam with the same radius so they have a good contact patch from the moment you install them.
They always look like polished mirrors when I take them apart.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

did you deburr the lobes? all cams nowdays need the lobes deburred.and the cam oil supplement in the first dose of oil used for breakin.I like the cam shield additive and the cam shield cam breakin cam lube. but it mussent be run longer then 30-40 min as it clogs the oil filter.then after the next hour of run time change the oil&filter again.( I do 3 more oil&filter changes in the first week of life)
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
did you deburr the lobes? all cams nowdays need the lobes deburred.and the cam oil supplement in the first dose of oil used for breakin.I like the cam shield additive and the cam shield cam breakin cam lube. but it mussent be run longer then 30-40 min as it clogs the oil filter.then after the next hour of run time change the oil&filter again.( I do 3 more oil&filter changes in the first week of life)
Yes I did deburr slightly. The lobes were sharp on the CB cam!! Cam shield is what I used also. We'll see how it goes with the Engle lifters. They say they should be fine as they are harder than the cam. I broke in last time for 25 minutes varying between 2 and 3000 RPM. I'm going to extend that a little to at least 30 minutes this time.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

Something else about the cam break-in that nobody mentions. After the initial 20-25 min. run shut the engine off and let it completely cool 10-12 hrs. for all the parts to normalize.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Eagle Cam compatible followers Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Something else about the cam break-in that nobody mentions. After the initial 20-25 min. run shut the engine off and let it completely cool 10-12 hrs. for all the parts to normalize.
Agreed. That's when I do the first oil change and re adjust the valves.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: