Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

General project tips/advice/recommendations
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: General project tips/advice/recommendations Reply with quote

My wife and I inherited her father's 65 beetle about a year ago that he had very slowly been working on for nearly 20 years. It has been completely disassembled and he painted the chassis, had the trans-axle rebuilt and has drop spindles with disc brakes on the front. The body is in great shape and primed ready for paint. Probably 90% of the parts are there so we plan to have it painted in the next few months and start assembly. This will be a huge learning curve for me as I am new to beetles and have lots of boxes of parts to figure out where to go. I am looking for ideas advice to change as it won't be completely stock.
Things I am considering are:
1. Switching from generator to alternator. Where 65 bugs 6 or 12 volt and how can I tell? What would need to be changed for 12V?
2. Electronic ignition? Have read some pros and cons on here
3. Camber compensator/sway bar on rear

Any other ideas of things you guys may have done or wish you had.

Thanks in advance!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: General project tips/advice/recommendations Reply with quote

bw65vw wrote:
1. Switching from generator to alternator. Where 65 bugs 6 or 12 volt and how can I tell? What would need to be changed for 12V?
2. Electronic ignition? Have read some pros and cons on here
3. Camber compensator/sway bar on rear.

Thanks in advance!

1, they were 6volt
2 setting dwell is no harder than setting valve lash. Electronic modules are just not as reliable and the ads say.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: General project tips/advice/recommendations Reply with quote

bw65vw wrote:
Camber compensator/sway bar on rear

Not really needed unless you plan on driving the car aggressively and cornering hard.

bw65vw wrote:
What would need to be changed for 12V?

An alternator with matching stand & back plates to replace the 6V generator & regulator, the battery, starter solenoid (6V starter works fine on 12V), ignition coil, electromagnetic cutoff jet and choke heating element on carb, instrument lights in speedo & gas gauge, the two warning lights and high beam & turn signal indicators in speedo, the radio, cigarette lighter if present, bulb for interior light, headlights, tail lights, license plate light, and turn signal bulbs and flasher.

A 6V horn will work on 12V.

You’ll also need to swap the fuel pump for one that’s designed to use with an alternator and install a 12V armature in the windshield wiper motor.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: General project tips/advice/recommendations Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I guess alot more things than I would have thought about for the 12V conversion.
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: General project tips/advice/recommendations Reply with quote

Converting from 6v to 12v isn't too bad, and most of it is simple replacement. If the engine is in the car, putting in the alternator is probably the most intensive and if it has an internal voltage regulator, there will be a slight change in wiring from the battery. Definitely do some reading and you will find info on what exactly you will need to order and the specifics on how it is installed.

Make sure your wiring harness is complete and that the connections are clean.

When you change the fuel pump to an alternator style, be sure to use the correct size fuel pump rod, they are specific for generator or alternator style fuel pumps. The alternator style pump just gives more clearance for the alternator which has a wider diameter than the generator.

The wiper motor conversion is pretty easy, just make sure your motor is compatible with the conversion armature.

All of this info can be found on thesamba, good luck!
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: General project tips/advice/recommendations Reply with quote

dschup wrote:
Converting from 6v to 12v isn't too bad, and most of it is simple replacement. If the engine is in the car, putting in the alternator is probably the most intensive and if it has an internal voltage regulator, there will be a slight change in wiring from the battery. Definitely do some reading and you will find info on what exactly you will need to order and the specifics on how it is installed.

Make sure your wiring harness is complete and that the connections are clean.

When you change the fuel pump to an alternator style, be sure to use the correct size fuel pump rod, they are specific for generator or alternator style fuel pumps. The alternator style pump just gives more clearance for the alternator which has a wider diameter than the generator.

The wiper motor conversion is pretty easy, just make sure your motor is compatible with the conversion armature.

All of this info can be found on thesamba, good luck!

All good info! Thanks guys! I definitely have lots of reading to do before assembly of my giant puzzle.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: General project tips/advice/recommendations Reply with quote

And whatever you do:

1. Take lots and lots of before and after photos or videos- you'll be glad you did a year down the track when you think you remember where that bolt went. These days it's really easy with phone cameras. I have many hundred photos of every part I removed especially where each of the main wires went.

2. Bag and tag all bits if you remove them. Ziplock bags and a marker are your saviour.

3. If you do go to 12V, keep all of your 6V stuff in case you ever change your mind and want to go back to stock. It's amazing how many times people change their mind during a project. At some time in the future you WILL know what you want to do and can decide on whether to keep them or give/sell the parts to someone who really wants original parts for 6V.

4. Don't throw away old or rusty parts until you have new ones fitted AND are working perfectly. It is amazing how many times you have to refer back to the old bits after buying some aftermarket garbage to see what they should have looked like or fitted.

5. Don't be afraid to ask the really simple and "stupid" questions here on SAMBA. We have all been in the same situation as you. Some with lots of experience, some with little. We all learn something each day. We all are here to help -Just ask!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: