Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

I picked up a set of floorpans from jBugs awhile back. I finally have the body off and was beginning to size them up, but I don’t see how they could possibly fit. I completely removed my passenger’s side pan, the driver’s side is still intact. When I put the new pan in place it seems as if it is about 1/2 inch too short lengthwise. The first picture shows how the pan sits lined up correctly up front, and the second picture shows the large gap at the rear brace.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These pictures show the opposite scenario, lined up in the rear with a gap in the front.

Here’s some of the measurements I took of th new pans. They both have different lengths and widths. The passenger’s side is about 65 3/8 inches, while the driver’s side is around 65 5/8 inches.

This is the first time I’ve done floorpan replacement, but it seems pretty straightforward. I just want to be sure I’m not missing something before I contact the vendor. I purchased the pans in December and received them around February, so I’m sure they’re going to tell me I’m S.O.L. since it’s been a couple of months. They are listed on their site as being Dansk, but the label says otherwise. I was OK with letting that slide, but several hundred dollars for unuseable pans is another story. Thanks.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

Cut a relief in the rear inside corner all the way down to the bottom & bend the rear edge back to meet the pan support. Then you will only have to create a small filler patch to weld in where the cut opens up.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Cut a relief in the rear inside corner all the way down to the bottom & bend the rear edge back to meet the pan support. Then you will only have to create a small filler patch to weld in where the cut opens up.

Is that a common procedure when doing these, or is that a ‘hack?’ Are they usually short? It seems unbelievable that they would sell them too small, but like I said, I’m completely inexperienced with any type of body work. Thanks.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

No, they USUALLY aren’t too short, but this is the quality that I have come to expect from Krapperholm. However, the JPGroup pans that I just got are pretty shitty too. These already have these relief cuts that I get to stitch up & the stampings on these have really gone downhill from the ones that I installed two years ago.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Martinwmd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

I recently bought some klokkerholm pans but i had to cut mine shorter about half an inch. But I have to say that mine look ten times better than yours.
They don’t have the weird wrinkles in the corners and also don’t have the welded cuts that i see on yours.
And the holes for the body-bolts are already stamped where they should be.
It seems to me that there are different quality pans coming from klokkerholm.
When I have time I Will make pictures and post them in this topic.
I bought the pans from paruzzi.com in the netherlands.
Martinwmd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

I made some pictures this evening so U can see the difference.

wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

According to CIP1.com the Klokkerholm pans that they are selling now are made with "all new tooling for a more complete pressing without slits in corners" so perhaps the original poster has the previous generation pans that were stamped with the older dies.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

Martinwmd wrote:
I recently bought some klokkerholm pans but i had to cut mine shorter about half an inch. But I have to say that mine look ten times better than yours.
They don’t have the weird wrinkles in the corners and also don’t have the welded cuts that i see on yours.

Thanks for the info. Do your pans have the seat belt brackets and battery brackets installed? Mine came from jbugs.com. I contacted them about the difference in size between the two pans and after much back and forth (pictures and measurements) they offered to accept a return. The right side pan is definitely not correct, but they said that any other pans that they have will be the same measurements. Maybe I’ll check out the ones on C1P to see if they are similar to yours. It seems like it’s basically a crap-shoot as far as what you get. I’m going to spend the next month or so preparing/painting the chassis as I get the floorpan situation figured out. I even found a spot that still had some shiny black paint. I’ve been meaning to update my thread with some photos and a progress report but I never seem to think of it.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

Who’s eating the shipping?

oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Who’s eating the shipping?

They are.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

Cool, let em have em.

However, you might find that the ones you have are better than one you might be replacing it with. I just got a set of JP Group & they are complete & total shit.

Martinwmd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

oscarsnapkin wrote:
Martinwmd wrote:

Thanks for the info. Do your pans have the seat belt brackets and battery brackets installed? Mine came from jbugs.com. I contacted them about the difference in size between the two pans and after much back and forth (pictures and measurements) they offered to accept a return. The right side pan is definitely not correct, but they said that any other pans that they have will be the same measurements. Maybe I’ll check out the ones on C1P to see if they are similar to yours. It seems like it’s basically a crap-shoot as far as what you get. I’m going to spend the next month or so preparing/painting the chassis as I get the floorpan situation figured out. I even found a spot that still had some shiny black paint. I’ve been meaning to update my thread with some photos and a progress report but I never seem to think of it.

No they have not, U got to weld them in yourself.
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

I got my new pans yesterday. I bought them from Cip1, and as someone mentioned above, they are the new Klokkerholm ones advertised as “made with all new tooling for a more complete pressing.” As soon as I took them out of the box I could feel that they are a bit heavier than my previous set, and they definitely ‘look’ nicer. They do not have the battery bracket, seat belt brackets and ground stud, which the older version did. They also lack the curved line in the front driver’s and passenger’s foot wells. I like the look of that, and wish they had it. The biggest and most important difference is the size. These are almost an inch longer than the ones that I returned. I tried dry fitting them on the chassis and they won’t even lay flat until I trim them. Very happy to see that as my last set was too short both in length and width. Here’s a pic of the old RH side and the new RH side for comparison. As a side note, Cip1 didn’t put a bit of effort into packing them. They were thrown loosely into a box, along with some other small parts that I bought, and not a single piece of any type of packing material. Two of the box corners were smashed, so the pan corners were bent. Nothing major, but it would be nice if they at least put in some effort.

cml039
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

I just finished installing new half pans from MT(?) which I read were the best pressings. They might be the best available, but they were a PITA to get flat - the drivers side took seven relief cuts, and probably could have used a few more.

I really regretted not buying the Thingshop complete pans - going by their pictures, they are flat! If there's ever a next time, I'll gladly spend the extra few hundred.

Before you start cutting the CIP1 pans, you might want to take a look.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

It’s not so much that they are NOT flat, it’s that they ARE flat. The pans are for Ghias & Ghia pans are stamped flat where they meet the flange on the tunnel & the Napoleons hat. The edge on a Thing pan has a stepped dogleg that is about 1/8” on them where the pan meets the tunnel that allows the pan to sit lower so that it sits onto the Y-brace support.

oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement floorpan dimensions? Mine are too short... Reply with quote

cml039 wrote:
I just finished installing new half pans from MT(?) which I read were the best pressings. They might be the best available, but they were a PITA to get flat - the drivers side took seven relief cuts, and probably could have used a few more.

I really regretted not buying the Thingshop complete pans - going by their pictures, they are flat! If there's ever a next time, I'll gladly spend the extra few hundred.

Before you start cutting the CIP1 pans, you might want to take a look.

Anyone know which pans ThingShop sells? I would imagine I t’s gotta be the same crap everyone else is selling, just with the extra bits and pieces already welded on.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: