Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.6TD head gasket question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jubbly Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: 1.6TD head gasket question Reply with quote

Hello all

. I'm embarking on a diesel conversion on my vanagon (t25 ) in the UK .

I'm rebuilding a 1.6td that I got as a partly stripped engine and have noticed there are no dowels in the cylinder block to locate the gasket and head in place?
Is this normal or are they missing ?

I replaced the head gasket on my Skoda 1.9tdi a couple of years ago and that had dowels .

Thank you for your time reading this

Jim
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6td head gasket question . Reply with quote

if i recall, there are no dowels... you place the gasket and head down and wiggle things around until all the head bolts go in.

if you want to ease your life, get a set of the very expensive ARP head studs. they eliminate the "death snap" horrible sound when torquing down and seem to have a very good track record of fixing the leaking head gasket issues on the 1.6.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6td head gasket question . Reply with quote

A friend and I did a head gasket on his non-turbo 1.6 and it also had no dowels.
I think its normal and his has been running for nearly a year with no problems. Also, the last six months of that year was with a turbo.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6td head gasket question . Reply with quote

X3, no dowels on the 1.6TD.

For aligning the block, head, and gasket I have a couple used head bolts (they are single use) that I cut the heads off of and cut slots in the top instead. I thread them in finger tight into two opposite corners. Then place the head gasket on, then carefully place the head over the protruding bolts. After getting the other new bolts threaded in finger tight, I remove those alignment bolts with a flat head screwdriver.

Does your engine have hydraulic or solid lifters? If hydraulic, then use the AAZ gasket.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6td head gasket question . Reply with quote

I concur with Waldo on the use of old cut down bolts as guide pins.

Roland
Jubbly Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6td head gasket question . Reply with quote

Great stuff thank you all for the info ,I thought it unusual not to have the dowels ,most cars ive delt with have had them .

Thanks again Jim

Ps Waldo its a solid lifter motor . Any advice on using spray hylomar or similar on the gasket or just as is? Ive never used it on a head gasket before .
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6td head gasket question . Reply with quote

I use a very light coat of hylomar spray on both sides of the gasket, on the block, and on the head. It does a great job of preventing the pesky weeping oil leaks at the head to block drains and the pressurized oil connection to the head between cyl 3+4. Despite the manual saying to assemble dry, the factory used hylomar or something like it on the head gaskets for assembly.
Jubbly Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6td head gasket question . Reply with quote

Ok great stuff Il be ordering some for the job.

Thanks again jim
Jubbly Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6td head gasket question . Reply with quote

Ok so another question
ive got a solid lifter td . On selecting the head gasket it gos on the amount of piston protrusion. Now if I'm going to up the fueling and boost and push the little 1.6 would the thicker gasket be the best choice to aid the tune?

Thanks again jim
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6td head gasket question . Reply with quote

IMO, no. Go with the correct gasket. Going with a thicker than spec gasket will lower compression which might be desirable for higher boost, but it can make cold starts worse. Other factors against a thicker than stock gasket are that it will reduce 'squish' which is important for appropriate turbulence and fuel/air mixing/burn, and will also reduce 'quench' which is the transfer of heat from the piston crown to the head (which is water cooled).

Make sure to clean all the carbon off the piston tops and clean the head gasket surface of the block meticulously. The carbon on the piston top is enough to skew the measurement from the thinnest to thickest gasket.
Jubbly Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6TD head gasket question Reply with quote

Great stuff thanks again . Just trying ideas before I start on the engine reassembly. Will be measuring the protrusion and getting the gasket accordingly.

Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: