Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Hatch Seal and gap (photos included)
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject: Rear Hatch Seal and gap (photos included) Reply with quote

Good morning-

Last night I placed in my rear seal on my 1966. It went in easily, did not need adhesive and the door shut without issues.

But... in the 4th photo, when I got close, I noticed I could see through a gap in just this one area. Should I pull the seal slightly out from the frame as it is seated, or does somehow my door need adjusting?

Thank you
-Mark

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Seal and gap (photos included) Reply with quote

Looks like it need adjusting, the hinge can be moved where it bolts to the door, I'd start by loosening the top bolt and lifting up on the door a bit before retightening. Careful, a little goes a long way, put tape around the edges of the opening and along the edges of the hatch, then close it very slowly watching for interference. Some marks around the hinge in it's current position will help too in case you have to put it back where it was and start over.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Seal and gap (photos included) Reply with quote

Thank you busdaddy.... will try that tonight !!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Seal and gap (photos included) Reply with quote

Also be mindful of the hatch torsion bar tension.
Do not lower the hatch while the hinge bolts are loose.
It can get dangerous.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Seal and gap (photos included) Reply with quote

I was able to loosen the two sets of bolts on each side of the hinge/door. It was tricky for sure. I tried 3-4 times to get it to seat correctly.

I was real close, but realized that I really need one more pair of hand to help me, one on each side to loosen/tighten almost simultaneously to seat 100% perfect.

While I do need to adjust it slightly again, busdaddy's comments helped my and j.pickens, I agree with you and the tension was quite present.

Thanks to all for help.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Seal and gap (photos included) Reply with quote

it is also normal for the rubbers to be quite stiff at first. they will settle a little and close better. that was true from new.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Seal and gap (photos included) Reply with quote

x2 repro rubber is well known to be far stiffer than original and will cause the rear hatch to require more force to close
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Seal and gap (photos included) Reply with quote

Surprisingly the rubber (more like sponge) fit in well. No issue at all. I used Wolfsburg West product and fit 100% perfect https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211829193C
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Seal and gap (photos included) Reply with quote

The tension I had was not from the seal, but the upper hinges. Which I think adds to a great open and close.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Seal and gap (photos included) Reply with quote

Some folks (me included based on advice here) loosen the striker "catch" plate bolts right after the new seal goes in. Then every couple weeks- slide the striker closer in to the trunk and tighten. It's a graduated break in of the seal. Eventually it will close flush and seal well again.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: