Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

I know a very picky ACVW owner that swears by this place.

https://1stclassautobody.org/collision-repair-arlington/

ACVW= Aircooled Volkswagen Wink Laughing (OP got it)

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I know a very picky ACVW owner that swears by this place.

Thanks, Xevin.
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

Well, perhaps at a decision point on the Westy.

Repairs are estimated at $12K and change. I see these as the options (if it is not totaled).
1. Just have the insurance deal with it and get it repaired.
2. Take a check.

Has anybody had experience taking the check? If so, two questions:
1. Do I get the full estimate? My adjuster said that I would not get a check for the full estimate. Does that make sense?
2. What happens with the deductible? Is it deducted from the check? If so, do I get it back from the other guys insurance.

Sorry about asking this stuff but this is a life skill that you need but only learn when you need it. Also, I could ask my insurance people, but, well, you know...
Neil Davies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

I don't know about you guys across the pond, but in the UK we would tend to be paid out the agreed value of the vehicle, minus the excess (your deductible) by your own insurer. The excess should be reimbursed to you when your insurer gets their money back off the person that hit you.
If you have retained salvage rights, which some policies don't have, you will be offered the car back at a cost, usually pretty low, just above scrap value in some cases.
Beware though, your agreed value is what it is worth, not what it would cost to repair. If its valued at 10k, but repair estimates are coming in at 12k, you're still only getting 10k!
As said before though, get the vehicle home as soon as you can. I lost a 1960 Beetle to an insurance company over 20 years ago because I listened to their advice and sent it to their body shop. They sent it to the salvage yard without telling me, and to get it back I had to go to an auction and bid on it! I didn't get it back, still bitter now!
'86 Scirocco special project - still measuring up...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

For fixing and not totaled - you should get the $12k that they estimate the damage at. I don't know why you wouldn't get all of this. That said, I can't recall a time when my car wasn't appraised for damage and then after the body shop started they called the adjuster back over to add for additional damage.

For totaled - you will get the $12k if you turn the van over to them. If you keep the van you will get $12k minus the buyback which is usually 10%. So you'd get $10.8k.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd have the insurance deal with it and get it repaired since you never know what else is going to found with a wreck like that.

With a fender bender, I might take a check, but something like yours, don't settle the final amount until you have the final product.

Not an expert, just my opinion.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

I had a claim last year and I got a check for $4,500 to pay whoever I wanted to fix it (not a Vanagon).

Having it totaled can lead to a lower resale with the salvage title. Hopefully that wont total it. I was told that if the cost of repair was leas then about 75% of replacement value it wouldn't be totaled.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

Wow.

A very clearly stated, "let me know when the time comes to make a decision on whether to repair or take a check," turns into "we were all under the impression that you wanted us to proceed with the repairs."

Caught that in time.
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

Here's the follow up on my van.

Geico was generally good and responsive. They followed my lead and worked with my mechanic. The one hiccough was in the post above but caught it in time. The payout was $12K. I am pleased with that.

My van is at the rebuild or replace phase. It has a lot going for it. I began planning the rebuild, building the wishlist in GoWesty, VanCafe, etc., looking for what I could buy in Oregon (visit the Dad AND no sales tax), where to do the work, all that stuff. I was getting excited to do it myself.

I started doing the math though. And looked at my calendar, my time value, the weather, the new season, and the cabin fever.

Replace started looking pretty good. I watched Craigslist and other places and had the good luck to find a nice replacement that I could afford owned by a very nice guy who really put a lot of care into it. So I purchased that.

So now, I have the pleasure, though it will be brief, of owning two Westfalias. I am going to sell my old one and along with the claim settlement and that sale price, I feel like I've really landed on my feet (or wheels).

Thank you everybody for giving the two cents. Insurance stuff is that life skill that you need but only learn it when you need it. You all were a great help.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

Glad it worked out for you. Very Happy

If possible please sell the westy to someone who will fix it and keep it on the road. I hate to see these disappear.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

It's such a hassle, but I'm happy you will not miss the summer!
Hatterasker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Glad it worked out for you. Very Happy

If possible please sell the westy to someone who will fix it and keep it on the road. I hate to see these disappear.

Thanks, dobryan. I'll see what I can do. It has a lot going for it.
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Boink. Collision while parked. Insurance questions, kind of. Reply with quote

You could start by listing it on thesamba.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: