Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sanchius and Tuna ride again...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

"Kirby - Blow that half track."

"Blow it?!!!"

He who knows he knows, doesn't know. But he who knows he doesn't know, knows.

'87 Westy, ratty but drive anywhere.
'89 Westy, gorgeous but hasn't been gone thru to drive anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
Apologies, we've been in mourning, stunned by the unexpected loss of two close brilliant awesome friends within days of each other, and have had to put things on hold for a bit.

Friends, this leaves far too much unsaid.
Please forgive me that the following lacks any useful Vanagon technical content, but as I view this group to be an extended family, I consider this too important not to post...

Mrs S and I are in shock and mourning from the recent unexpected and far-too-early loss of two brilliant awesome close friends of ours within days of each other.

As young colleagues together we scienced hard, wrestling with highly abstract concepts, exploring deep time and the far future, using the fastest supercomputers on the planet.
Together we traveled the globe, researching our highly inter-connected world, both in glittering mega-cities and in struggling, yet vibrant, developing countries.
Together we convened conferences, published papers, pushed boundaries, built communities, formed companies, launched massive ventures, won international awards.

All to make the world a better place.

As our careers progressed, we inevitably took different trajectories, doing different things, in far distant places, each living their own very full life.
But we would never fail to instantly reconnect whenever our paths crossed at some annual conference, review panel, or science meeting.

I was stunned to learn from the widow of the friend I so greatly admired for his deep wisdom, his shining brilliance, his warm compassion, that he considered me his BEST friend.
I was instantly gutted. I never knew. He never told me. Consumed with my own life and dynamic circle of wonderful family and friends, I was completely oblivious to this.

A Titan in his field, out of respect for the stratospheric intellectual level at which he existed, I had never risked crossing that emotional line one holds between just friends and BEST friends with him.
And now that he is gone, I am left feeling so deeply saddened by the opportunity I missed to connect with an amazing person at a much deeper level that would have enriched us both immeasurably.

All I can say is that if you have people in your life whom you respect, whom you love, whom consider your best friend, please reach out to them and be sure they know.

Take the risk to make the connection, to break the boundary, as all too soon there will come a time when this is no longer possible.

I know I will be doing so.

Onward!, as you so often exclaimed, my dear friend Peter... (Picture & memorial Kudoboard here)
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
sanchius wrote:
Apologies, we've been in mourning, stunned by the unexpected loss of two close brilliant awesome friends within days of each other, and have had to put things on hold for a bit.

Friends, this leaves far too much unsaid.
Please forgive me that the following lacks any useful Vanagon technical content, but as I view this group to be an extended family, I consider this too important not to post...

Mrs S and I are in shock and mourning from the recent unexpected and far-too-early loss of two brilliant awesome close friends of ours within days of each other.

As young colleagues together we scienced hard, wrestling with highly abstract concepts, exploring deep time and the far future, using the fastest supercomputers on the planet.
Together we traveled the globe, researching our highly inter-connected world, both in glittering mega-cities and in struggling, yet vibrant, developing countries.
Together we convened conferences, published papers, pushed boundaries, built communities, formed companies, launched massive ventures, won international awards.

All to make the world a better place.

As our careers progressed, we inevitably took different trajectories, doing different things, in far distant places, each living their own very full life.
But we would never fail to instantly reconnect whenever our paths crossed at some annual conference, review panel, or science meeting.

I was stunned to learn from the widow of the friend I so greatly admired for his deep wisdom, his shining brilliance, his warm compassion, that he considered me his BEST friend.
I was instantly gutted. I never knew. He never told me. Consumed with my own life and dynamic circle of wonderful family and friends, I was completely oblivious to this.

A Titan in his field, out of respect for the stratospheric intellectual level at which he existed, I had never risked crossing that emotional line one holds between just friends and BEST friends with him.
And now that he is gone, I am left feeling so deeply saddened by the opportunity I missed to connect with an amazing person at a much deeper level that would have enriched us both immeasurably.

All I can say is that if you have people in your life whom you respect, whom you love, whom consider your best friend, please reach out to them and be sure they know.

Take the risk to make the connection, to break the boundary, as all too soon there will come a time when this is no longer possible.

I know I will be doing so.

Onward!, as you so often exclaimed, my dear friend Peter... (Picture & memorial Kudoboard here)
Thanks for sharing that with us, Sanchius. It sounds as though Mr. Fox's early demise was a profound loss not only to you who knew him well, but to the rest of us whose lives his work impacted.]

As I've grown older and lost people important to me, I've become more aware of the startlingly short time we have to spend with those we love and have consequently tried to make sure that those people knew just how much I valued them.

The way you, Sanchius, conduct yourself on this forum is an example to us all: you share your knowledge and good fortune with us all, even when the slim thread of Vanagon that connects us is strained.

Thanks for hanging out here.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

We smile the smiles, we cry the tears, we learn the lessons.

People are the only game in town and you bet your life to play. With wisdom, gained or innate, you play with all your heart. That can hurt. It's all good.

I see your walk, Sanchius. You know what you know. People in general overcompensate for their insecurities. Don't see that with you.

Carry on, my Vanagon friend.

My condolences.

And, well said.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

I was a bit astounded to find out that Peter had died. Our lives crossed as I work in the spectroscopic side of the same field and of course RPI is only 15 minutes from home base.

I lost another icon in my world last year, whose beginning were in a field in India in the 1930s ( ď we didnít keep track of years , we were too busy trying to stay alive) and ended up as Director of the Spectroscopy Lab at MIT
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sanchius and Tuna ride again... Reply with quote

Come on, dad, get that WBX buttoned up, I'm getting bored sitting around the house...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

P.S. We're pulling the Queen out of the Air Force Museum in Dayton for the Findlay Ohio Military Vehicle show this weekend if anyone in the W. Ohio/E Indiana area wants to stop by for a tour.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32
Jump to:
Page 32 of 32

Jump to: