Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I went to full synthetic Royal Purple oil. When change oil 1 month ago, I cleaned all the white oily mess. I checked yesterday when saw your post. Here what it looks like. I drive the car daily, I don’t know what to do next.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Castrol GTX 15W40, untill now, the best oil for reduce noise on tappets.
Before, Mobil 15W40 worked well reducing noise but not as well as Castrol. Gulf 20w50 was awfull for this issue.

I think semi-synth or fully-synth are too thin for our engines on mild weather and oceanic climate (less than 10w40 for example)

15W40 is recommended in the official owner manual.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Castrol GTX 15W40 IS semi-synth.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Castrol GTX 15W40 IS semi-synth.

Here we have a trouble: depending of the market, some Castrol are tagged as "synthetic"... even 20W50 Rolling Eyes

GTX 15W40 was sold in Spain first as mineral, later as part-synthetic and finally as "synthetic technology"...

In 2018 I sent an e-mail to Castrol asking what happening with this oil. The answer was:

"Synthetic technology means oil base is type III with less saturated hydrocarbons (<90%) less sulphur ( <0.03%) and more viscosity (>120). Before was oil base type I. Oils type III are minerals also but with a process called hydrocracking to improvement them."

OK, this is Castrol answer three years ago. Now GTX 15W40 changed again and it's tagged API SN. Before was API SF...

Before 2018: part synthetic and API SF

2018: synthetic technology and API SL

2021: synthetic technology and API SN

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Here in So-Cal, I run 10-30 in all of my cars. 10/40 or 15/40 causes sludge like you show in my cars. 10/30 with hydraulic lifters is just fine.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Let's not start a oil discussion here... regardless of branding. and the answer from Castrol (the switched the type of mineral base), 15W40 is technically a semi-synthetic, but even if it was a modern full synth it would be OK. the recommendation in the manual is based on synthetics of more tan 30 years ago.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Let's not start a oil discussion here... regardless of branding. and the answer from Castrol (the switched the type of mineral base), 15W40 is technically a semi-synthetic, but even if it was a modern full synth it would be OK. the recommendation in the manual is based on synthetics of more tan 30 years ago.

Oils... the mother of all discussions Laughing
nagerjaeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

There is fuel leaking, if I press on the rubber boot, squirting, out of the electrical connector on the top of my fuel pump. Here is a photo with the leaking component crudely circled.

Update: Referenced hopkins comments with photos on the fuel pump from VW girl. Found the Pierburg pump (says it on the side, had the part number on the side) on eBay for $35 including shipping. The leaking pump has no markings. Might be a knock off. I read that there are a lot out there.

Photos and explanations of my fix.

Disassembled swirl pot. Very simple to do. 5 screws. I scratched the case in one place so I'd put it back together the same way. I suspect the swirl pot is after market. The pump certainly is.

Two new pumps!! One in the box. The other was a return that was not boxed so the seller could not resell, and it is brand new. I'm keeping the boxed pump as a spare. I opened the box to make sure it was correct.

You can see here that Pierburg and the part number are stamped on the new pump.

More of the part number.

Pierburg and knock off side by side. Note the difference of the position of the bump.

Knock off being slid into filter. Note the bump is on top.

Knock off all the way in the filter. Note the distance between the bottom of the pump and the bottom of the filter.

Pierburg in the filter, slid in from the bottom. Note the distance between the bottom of the pump and the bottom of the filter.

So far the new pump works great and there are no leaks. I was concerned that the Pierburg might slide down into the swirl pot. But it is so tight in there that I don't think that will happen. I'll keep my eye on it.

Also, I removed the fuel tank, but I don't think I need to do that to pull the swirl pot. I did remove the front wheel for access.

Last edited by nagerjaeger on Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:15 am; edited 3 times in total
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

"There is fuel leaking, if I press on the rubber boot,"
Might sound dumb check the socket and see if its the pump...
while there replace with new plug ...
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I suspect the leak comes from the o-ring sealing the pump to the swirl pot.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

nagerjaeger wrote:

Update: Referenced hopkins comments with photos on the fuel pump from VW girl. Found the Pierburg pump (says it on the side, had the part number on the side) on eBay for $35 including shipping. The leaking pump has no markings. Might be a knock off. I read that there are a lot out there.

I'll update this post as I learn more.

Interesting, for interests sake could you please post some photos of the pump disassembled and the Pierburg pump and knock-off?
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
pathfinder_88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Folks,

I’ve got a bad ecu on my ‘95. We attempted to have it repaired however it is sending insufficient voltage to the coil. I’m told the ecu should send 5v to the coil but we are only getting 2.7v. Does anyone have or know of a working used ecu that I can purchase? This could prove to be very challenging!
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Breather, hose and box of the air filter fully cleaned.
And of course, oil and filters changed...

Look at the water dropping from the oily paste...

Where the hose is conected to the air filter box

After cleaning and blowing with a compressor

radstude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Give it 2 weeks, it’ll will be back.
Sotobaggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

in the breather box I have a small sponge in the corner section ... just putting it out there
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

radstude wrote:

Surely... I know Laughing

Sotobaggins wrote:
in the breather box I have a small sponge in the corner section ... just putting it out there

Thanks! I saw some boxes with absorbing stuffs. I will do it when I found something appropriate
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

nagerjaeger wrote:
There is fuel leaking, if I press on the rubber boot, squirting, out of the electrical connector on the top of my fuel pump. Here is a photo with the leaking component crudely circled.

Photos and explanations of my fix.

Disassembled swirl pot. Very simple to do. 5 screws. I scratched the case in one place so I'd put it back together the same way. I suspect the swirl pot is after market. The pump certainly is.

Two new pumps!! One in the box. The other was a return that was not boxed so the seller could not resell, and it is brand new. I'm keeping the boxed pump as a spare. I opened the box to make sure it was correct.

You can see here that Pierburg and the part number are stamped on the new pump.

More of the part number.

Pierburg and knock off side by side. Note the difference of the position of the bump.

Knock off being slid into filter. Note the bump is on top.

Knock off all the way in the filter. Note the distance between the bottom of the pump and the bottom of the filter.

Pierburg in the filter, slid in from the bottom. Note the distance between the bottom of the pump and the bottom of the filter.

So far the new pump works great and there are no leaks. I was concerned that the Pierburg might slide down into the swirl pot. But it is so tight in there that I don't think that will happen. I'll keep my eye on it.

Also, I removed the fuel tank, but I don't think I need to do that to pull the swirl pot. I did remove the front wheel for access.

Great job, good info here.........
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

that pot is most likely an aftermarket one, it surely is newer than the rest of the car.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Pegasín wrote:
radstude wrote:

Surely... I know Laughing

Sotobaggins wrote:

Thanks! I saw some boxes with absorbing stuffs. I will do it when I found something appropriate

1 week and 200 km (120 milles) later...

nagerjaeger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Sunz out. Bugz out. 1998 City Car. 24K kilometers. Not a great photo but I'm loving the bug life today.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 144 of 192

Jump to: