Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster Reply with quote

Thanks for all the Info
I will have to do it from underneath as you can't get the drill centered on the top of the Bolt from the top side due to the drill bezel coming into contact with the metal sides of the structure.I will have another go at it using the suggestions given and try and Drill it out
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster Reply with quote

Heat it, soak it (with PBlaster or Kano Kroil), shock it, soak it, heat it, & buy a set of external extractor sockets,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster Reply with quote

I’m about to show you something many are completely unaware of. A 90 degree drill and even more useful 360 drill. The 360 derives it’s name from the feature which allows the head to rotate in either direction a full 360 degrees. These tools come to us via aircraft manufacturing and could be accessed locally. Even tighter areas you can use a snake drill. The snake has flexible shaft and the head is threaded to use different size bits.

Notice the rotating head feature, very useful reaching those difficult areas.
These are 90 degree drills

Finally the snake this attachment is widely available at home improvement stores and can attach to the drill motor you currently have.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster Reply with quote

Or just drill it out from the bottom. Doesn’t that hole go all the way through? I think it does.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster Reply with quote

In all seriousness I’d drive with the broken off bolt, this is heresy I know. Very Happy
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster Reply with quote

I have finally managed to drill the bolt out but the threads are no good now so essentially I now have a straight through hole.What bolt can I now put through this as it will need a nut on the end to tighten it up.The other issue is that you can't get a nut on the end in the original configuration as there is no clearance for a nut as the end of the Bolt sits nearly flush with the cross member support.I was thinking of using another 17 mm bolt but reversing it so I could get a Nut on the end to tighten it. Rolling Eyes
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster Reply with quote

Glad you're making progress and got that done.

Pass the bolt through from the bottom. Clean up both faces of any protruding obscenities. Pass the bolt up from the bottom if side clearance is an issue. Grind your bolt and washer to fit. Flat siding them won't affect performance in this application.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster Reply with quote

It was a nightmare to get through it as I dont have any power in my garage and I had to rely on a Cordless drill which was painfully slow.So pass the bolt through from underneath,reversing it from the original configuration and then add a nut ? I'm guessing use another 17 mm bolt and a 17mm nut.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster Reply with quote

I don't know if it will help now, but you could use a beam clamp sold at home centers and use a extra nut on it to lock it.

If the body is not comming off, why was the bolt an issue?
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
It was a nightmare to get through it as I dont have any power in my garage and I had to rely on a Cordless drill which was painfully slow.So pass the bolt through from underneath,reversing it from the original configuration and then add a nut ? I'm guessing use another 17 mm bolt and a 17mm nut.

What ever size you used to drill out the broken bolt is fine. It doesn't have to match anything else.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Shock mount Bolt Disaster Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’m about to show you something many are completely unaware of. A 90 degree drill and even more useful 360 drill. The 360 derives it’s name from the feature which allows the head to rotate in either direction a full 360 degrees. These tools come to us via aircraft manufacturing and could be accessed locally.

Yeah. Tool envy, right there! Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: