Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Duncan's 1971 Squareback thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Duncan's 1971 Squareback thread Reply with quote

Contrary to popular belief the tin plated AMP terminals are tin-plated brass. When I was considering replacing all the terminals in the wiring I was redoing on my Super Beetle, the folks at TE Connectivity (formerly AMP) recommended that I use tin-plated terminal ends rather than plain brass. The brass will corrode over time whereas the tin-plate will prevent that. GM has been using light grease on terminal connection for years; not silicone grease. This corrosion is why I had to replace the front harness in my Super Beetle. The brass ends were cracking and splitting.

I had a 1951 Studebaker from 1972 through 2004 and I rewired much of the car because it had fabric covered wire that was disintegrating. The original terminals were tin-plated and not one was damaged from atmospheric exposure.

If you are replacing any solid color wire I was told to use tin plated copper wire (marine quality). This is available on Amazon at reasonable prices. The wire with a solid color and tracer color are available from the auto parts store in Florida that I posted earlier. It seems that custom colors combinations are available.

Some of the online terminal suppliers have smaller quantities available for sale, significantly less that 1,000 pieces.
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Duncan's 1971 Squareback thread Reply with quote

How do I find Max Weldon on TheSamba? Anyone know what his handle is?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Duncan's 1971 Squareback thread Reply with quote

I believe his username is max welton.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Duncan's 1971 Squareback thread Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. I've been thinking I may list the squareback for sale soon.

Starting to get a little burnt out.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Duncan's 1971 Squareback thread Reply with quote

The Houston heat doesn't help you much either if you are used to AC. What are you going to do without it? You need something fun to drive.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russell Ritchie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Duncan's 1971 Squareback thread Reply with quote

Wow, wow this is one the most in dept detailed threads I've ever read, well done Mr Duncan.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Duncan's 1971 Squareback thread Reply with quote

Did you end up deciding to keep it?
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Duncan's 1971 Squareback thread Reply with quote

Russell Ritchie wrote:
Wow, wow this is one the most in dept detailed threads I've ever read, well done Mr Duncan.

He does a great job with these writeups. He has a number of other cars he's done as well. All of them are wonderfully done.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Duncan's 1971 Squareback thread Reply with quote

As an update, the car has been sold to a new good owner in Galveston, TX.

They are going to use it as a daily driver, it's got a good new home.

They also own a few other air-cooled VW's too!

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Jump to:
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: