Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

Another dumb question for everyone. Bought a Chromoly gland nut from the local bug shop. Empi brand. What should I torque this to? The washer is dished so I’m guessing that it goes on with the outer part of the washer seated towards the crank so when it’s torqued the center of the washer gets pushed up against the flywheel?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

I torqued my Berg forged gland nut to 425ft-lbs.

Do you trust the EMPI enough?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

Ive never seen a bevel washer there... be sure to knock any sharp edges off the washer so it dont dig in as well as the flats on the nut/bolt need to have a ever so slight chamfer(about .040" should do fine) that leeps it from digging in.if either digs in the torque will not be a true reading.also make sure the dowels dont stick past the flywheel and contact the washer....I use molly lube on my nuts& washer good.I shoot for just over 400 pounds. dont ferget the oring and oiling the oring& seal.make sure there is no sharp edge to the crank that may eff up the oring...and..make sure the flywheel hasent been draged on the floor leaving a rough spot on the thrust serface as well as be sure the leading edge has no burrs to eff up the seal and no burs on the id to gouge the crank....good luck!!
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I torqued my Berg forged gland nut to 425ft-lbs.

Do you trust the EMPI enough?

Not really. That’s another reason why I’m asking about this. The washer being dished seems kinda weird to me too. Is that normal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

The one that came with the Berg was flat and the edges beveled. I've built over a dozen hi-po engine with them and never a problem.

http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=2719&products_id=297
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

If it seems like a copy of a scat gland nut, then it probably is.
Tho I don't know why they'd even try t rip it off, the scat gland nuts are already proven and dirt cheap. maybe it is a scat gland nut Wink
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

Here’s a pic of the washer and gland nut. Washer seems a little weird but maybe it’s normal. Description says “350 and above” for torque. Is 350 enough? I keep seeing higher specs.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

Not exactly same as scat from the look of it. 38 or 36mm head?
350 is good guess IMO.
Lube the threads and under the head with moly grease.
I see some pink stuff on there, maybe cam lube, that's probably fine.
Or maybe it's arby's sauce.
I'm not going to try tasting it.
Will take your word for it thanks.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

You'll see when you get it up there........the difference between 350 and 450lbs torque is about 1/16th turn. If that.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

I have never found a need to go over the stock torque on the gland nut and never had a failure. But then again I have not build a fire breathing monster engine either. Not in my budget.

I would be very concerned about taking the gland nut torque to those values. That is a very tiny thread to be putting that much stress on. At some point you will be weakening the connection, not improving it, torqueing it to the brink of failure!
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

Its called a Belleville washer. They ack as a spring to maintain load on the treads if things relax a little after torqueing. They help to prevent the nut from coming loose. My CB washer also had some crown to it.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

To the OP...

What crank do you have?

I ask because I am a firm believer in matching tensile strengths of fasteners. It makes no sense to have a high tensile strength chromoly gland nut with a stock crank, in the same way that it doesn’t make sense to thread a class 12.9 bolt into a class 5 nut. It also makes no sense to use a stock nut on an aftermarket chromoly crank. Now, using a chromoly gland nut on an aftermarket forged 4340 crank, that’s talking sense. Wink

I have always found mismatched fasteners to be less than reliable. Because they stretch differently, one will always take the brunt on the strain, and yields sooner than it otherwise would have.

I see these failures frequently in industry, and more often than not the simplest fix is to change the base material, or use a different tensile strength fastener. Sometimes components come in assembled with impressive looking high tensile strength fasteners (ex 12.9), which look great, but they either work loose or pull the threads out of the base material, particularly if it’s a casting. Replacing the bolts right off the bat with lower grade fasteners (ex 8.8 or 10.9) actually can make the entire assembly stronger and less prone to catastrophic failure, even if the clamping loaf is slightly lower.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
To the OP...

What crank do you have?

I ask because I am a firm believer in matching tensile strengths of fasteners. It makes no sense to have a high tensile strength chromoly gland nut with a stock crank, in the same way that it doesn’t make sense to thread a class 12.9 bolt into a class 5 nut. It also makes no sense to use a stock nut on an aftermarket chromoly crank. Now, using a chromoly gland nut on an aftermarket forged 4340 crank, that’s talking sense. Wink

I have always found mismatched fasteners to be less than reliable. Because they stretch differently, one will always take the brunt on the strain, and yields sooner than it otherwise would have.

I see these failures frequently in industry, and more often than not the simplest fix is to change the base material, or use a different tensile strength fastener. Sometimes components come in assembled with impressive looking high tensile strength fasteners (ex 12.9), which look great, but they either work loose or pull the threads out of the base material, particularly if it’s a casting. Replacing the bolts right off the bat with lower grade fasteners (ex 8.8 or 10.9) actually can make the entire assembly stronger and less prone to catastrophic failure, even if the clamping loaf is slightly lower.

Its a chromoly 4140 crank. 74mm stroke. Engine specs are 74x92mm thick wall, web cams 163, MOFOCO 041 heads, 9:1 compression static, standard ratio rockers(for now), and dual 40 webers, not anything crazy. I just don't want the thing to fall off, of course. Or strip out the crank while I'm putting it on.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

Here's my 2¢:

If I can avoid anything with a EMPI name I will.

But there are plenty of people out there with EMPI cranks, rods and other internal parts that are just fine.

It's the cheap chrome, engine tin and other stuff I absolutely would not use.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Not exactly same as scat from the look of it. 38 or 36mm head?
350 is good guess IMO.
Lube the threads and under the head with moly grease.
I see some pink stuff on there, maybe cam lube, that's probably fine.
Or maybe it's arby's sauce.
I'm not going to try tasting it.
Will take your word for it thanks.

36mm head. red stuff is moly grease. I put some on it when I had the flywheel on while I was putting the rods on the crank. Doesn't taste bad. Could use a bit of salt.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

keep the salt away. also....if the washer fits loose as 99.3 % do I use a rubber or sily cone oring to center it on the nut .when it go's off center it throws the crank balance off quite a bit...well while balancing the crank it does so...yes it throws the balance off....A hard plastic snug fitting spacer wood be better, as it would hole it centered better.Ill probably make those for my next 2 motors.that way the washer cant go off center at all when twerking my ass off.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Here's my 2¢:

If I can avoid anything with a EMPI name I will.

But there are plenty of people out there with EMPI cranks, rods and other internal parts that are just fine.

It's the cheap chrome, engine tin and other stuff I absolutely would not use.

This.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

Should buy a different one or just run it? Kinda nervous about it now.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

The original gland nuts are made from a "screw machine steel"
such as 12L14 alloy.

a 20$ gland nut being 50% stronger material the original is totally plausible with modern machining and materials.
Does empi know anything about making bolts? yes, since they have a successful line of CV axles, also plausible.

Can only guess since I never saw one, but it's not that big a deal.

I was thinking the same thing as Glenn, Us fanatics tend to be more interested in better stuff, rather than empi stuff, but the empi stuff may be totally fine. If you can't find a problem with it then that's good enough.

Last edited by modok on Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Chromoly Gland Nut Torque Reply with quote

carguytroy wrote:
Should buy a different one or just run it? Kinda nervous about it now.

Just run the 36mm gland nut and be happy.

I have one on a 2180 and it has not failed to date.
Torque to the factory setting, and drive if like you stole it!
Well maybe a few ftlbs. more.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: