Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heads leaking oil
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elansmith70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Heads leaking oil Reply with quote

Just coming to the completion of my Buggy with a single port engine but the heads have started leaking oil. Why? I found a similar older post but need clarification.

Way back when (before the body was on) I took the heads and barrels off due to bad running and discovered broken rings on number 1. I replaced all the rings, new push rod tubes and seals, heads back on. Test ran engine a couple of times, no problems.

Obviously, now everything is together issues are popping up. What is oil doing in the combustion chamber to be leaking out? Why oil rather than gases? Leaks when running. Drips when not running.

Compression test 1=130psi 2=135psi 3=140psi 4 135psi

Checked torques on bottom nuts (obviously tops covered with tinware) not changed, still okay.

Did notice when fitting the heads that the push rod tubes made it hard to tighten the head down and are completely compressed (no gaps) issue?

What have I done wrong?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers. Jason
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Heads leaking oil Reply with quote

Post a photo
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Heads leaking oil Reply with quote

It would be very unusual for the oil to be leaking from the cylinder to head sealing surface. In fact your compression test tells me that that is not where the problem is. There are really only three places it can be coming from. The rocker arm studs, pushrod tube seals or the valve cover gaskets.

You need to get under there with a good light and determine which one it is.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Heads leaking oil Reply with quote

or the 4 heads studs that are under the rocker arms. Those washers and nuts should have sealant under them.

Post a photo.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: