Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front door gap differences
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Front door gap differences Reply with quote

Hi,

I noticed my 2 front doors have different gaps today. I measured the distance b/w A and B pillars and found there is about a quarter inch difference. Is it normal or maybe my van has body repair done before?

Thanks,
Michael
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door gap differences Reply with quote

On my B Pillar I've got 3/8th inch on each front door. the hinge adjustment is annoying because haven't gotten a good adjustment out of the passenger side yet and the latch hits the striker as it shuts. I do have the "lift bar" for adjusting the doors too.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Front door gap differences Reply with quote

I was going to do hinge adjustment when I found the driver side gap is narrower than the passenger side. However the gaps are pretty even around both doors so I measured the width b/w A and B pillar for both sides and found driver side width is a 1/4" narrower than passenger side. Now this is the first time I compare this in any cars so I wonder whether it's consider normal.

Thanks,
Michael
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Front door gap differences Reply with quote

I just measured my two buses at the level of the front door handle and they vary by about 1/8".

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Front door gap differences Reply with quote

This tool goes into the door lock to give you leverage to adjust a door, but 30 bucks for one time use is a bit much!

https://www.amazon.com/Steck-Manufacturing-21845-S...amp;sr=8-4

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Front door gap differences Reply with quote

My PS door rubbed on the sill at the back edge until I shimmed the lower hinge and jacked it up. Not a gap resolution, but a method for adjustment not otherwise provided.
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Front door gap differences Reply with quote

Thanks all for the suggestions. My door gaps are good, evenly across the edges with no rubbing. My question is about the gap difference b/w driver and passenger side.

@dobryan, thanks for the measurement. I measured at the level of body side molding where the difference is most visible. I'll measure again at the door handle.

Michael
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door gap differences Reply with quote

You know?
On the list of things that I've never done is run left to right checking door gaps.

Not sure I'm going to start.

They close?
They latch?

I'm good!
I can't see them both at the same time.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door gap differences Reply with quote

Heh, fair point Laughing. I don't really care either. Just out of curiosity I'd like to learn whether it came from factory like this or the result of some unforeseen events.

Michael
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door gap differences Reply with quote

A subject near if not dear to my heart. As a younger me while working in quality control at MB they issued nylon body gap gages, think of them as feeler gauges for the body. Although well worn I still have them plus a newer set with wider blades.
When our vans were built VW had somewhat generous tolerances for the body openings. Short of partial disassembly and rewelding they are what they are, which is pretty darn good.
wingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Front door gap differences Reply with quote

Yeah, it's only 0.5% difference and I have no complaints Smile

Michael
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: