Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early lowback seat question
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

I was wondering if the springs for the back of the front seats on a 62-63 squareback are the same as same year of bug. My 63 square someone decided to put highbacks in it, I have several front bug seats and a set of lowbacks from a 66 fastback, just wondering if I can take the seat back springs off the 66 fastback seats and use the springs from a 62 bug instead?
Thanks

1966 Bug Bahama Blue(my first car)
1958 Euro Bug
1962 Pearl White Bug
1970 Fastback Clementine
1966 Fastback VW Blue
1970 Fastback Diamond Blue
1967 Bug
1963 VW Variant
1963 Karmann Ghia Ruby Red
1969 VW Variant
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

No. The bug seats are too narrow.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
kjbtsi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

Is there any difference in the springs on a type3 lowback? I have a set out of a 66, wondering if the spring contour is different or is it the pad that changes the shape at the top of the seat?

1966 Bug Bahama Blue(my first car)
1958 Euro Bug
1962 Pearl White Bug
1970 Fastback Clementine
1966 Fastback VW Blue
1970 Fastback Diamond Blue
1967 Bug
1963 VW Variant
1963 Karmann Ghia Ruby Red
1969 VW Variant
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

kjbtsi wrote:
Is there any difference in the springs on a type3 lowback? I have a set out of a 66, wondering if the spring contour is different or is it the pad that changes the shape at the top of the seat?

I think it's a little of both, since the 66 on have a more "squared off top", versus the curved tops of the 65 and earlier cars.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
kjbtsi wrote:

I think it's a little of both, since the 66 on have a more "squared off top", versus the curved tops of the 65 and earlier cars.

You can see the profile difference. The early seats were designed with more of a slab look where the later lowbacks sloped over at the top. Its the early slab look that makes people think a bug seat might work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

What you might also find is that the 66 on springs might be the same, and it's really the seat frame that's different. I only say that as I've converted a few sets of high back seats to low backs.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

As I am sure you are all aware, they also all "hinge" differently. My Aussie 1970 (so therefore made with pre-1970 low back seats) seat (photo) have the hinge point further forwards than the ones in the top pic of notchboy's post above. Not only is this another reason that you can't "mix and match" bases and backs, but it is also a nuisance when fitting seat covers. I only noticed this negative impact of the forward hinge position when I tried to fit seat covers recently.
Most seat covers nowadays are sold as a "single piece", so that the back and the base are actually a single piece of material. So if you have a seat like mine in the photo, you cannot use a single piece seat cover because when you tilt the seatback forwards, the lower part of the back rest pivots much further forwards. While this allows better space for rear seat passengers to get in, it also means a seat cover tries to pull forward off the base, which it is of necessity tied onto.
I am getting sheepskin covers in mine a) because they are cool in summer (no more sticky shirt backs on the vinyl Smile ) and b) warm in winter. I am also getting a small insert sewed inside the side corners of the back piece to "shape" them a bit better, and give me more lateral support. But I am having to get custom-made covers which have a separate base from the back so I can tilt the seat forwards.
Just thought I would mention the hinge issue............
G

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
As I am sure you are all aware, they also all "hinge" differently. My Aussie 1970 (so therefore made with pre-1970 low back seats) seat (photo) have the hinge point further forwards than the ones in the top pic of notchboy's post above. Not only is this another reason that you can't "mix and match" bases and backs, but it is also a nuisance when fitting seat covers. I only noticed this negative impact of the forward hinge position when I tried to fit seat covers recently.
Most seat covers nowadays are sold as a "single piece", so that the back and the base are actually a single piece of material. So if you have a seat like mine in the photo, you cannot use a single piece seat cover because when you tilt the seatback forwards, the lower part of the back rest pivots much further forwards. While this allows better space for rear seat passengers to get in, it also means a seat cover tries to pull forward off the base, which it is of necessity tied onto.
I am getting sheepskin covers in mine a) because they are cool in summer (no more sticky shirt backs on the vinyl Smile ) and b) warm in winter. I am also getting a small insert sewed inside the side corners of the back piece to "shape" them a bit better, and give me more lateral support. But I am having to get custom-made covers which have a separate base from the back so I can tilt the seat forwards.
Just thought I would mention the hinge issue............
G

Interesting. Thats one I haven't heard. I have thought the seat bases- with the exception of the latest type seat were all the same - relatively. I know the spring backs and bottoms do have variations in how they sit on the frame and base. But the pivot points remain the same. The base and back frames all pivot the same, but the spring backs do change on the frame from early to late. My seat above is a bad example as it has an aftermarket recliner attached. As well as my last pic in the grouping below. The seatback position has been altered. They are close to a stock position but the pivot points remain the same on the base.

Seat recliner is a bad example of any kind of proper stock pivot point.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

My question is more for the seat pads. I have 1963 Notchback and want to use a hair seat pad because currently my drivers seat is the only one needing reupholstered and I want it to resemble the rest of my seats as much as possible. My question is will the a ‘56-‘63 Type 1(beetle) hair seat pad be the same as the early Type 3 hair seat pads?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

joel55bug wrote:
My question is more for the seat pads. I have 1963 Notchback and want to use a hair seat pad because currently my drivers seat is the only one needing reupholstered and I want it to resemble the rest of my seats as much as possible. My question is will the a ‘56-‘63 Type 1(beetle) hair seat pad be the same as the early Type 3 hair seat pads?

No, the Bug seats are narrower.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

Any suggestions on where to find a Type 3 specific hair seat pad?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Early lowback seat question Reply with quote

joel55bug wrote:
Any suggestions on where to find a Type 3 specific hair seat pad?

swap meets. they are not available new

you could buy the bug ones and add more coconut fiber material. It's called coir. I know someone that bought a kit for mercedes and trimmed them down as well.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: