Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How would u fix this?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

My employee swiped the legs out from below a clients yard art. She wants it fixed. Isnt real picky about how but wants it back in the yard by jobs end. It’s some cheap ass brass alloy from China. Local welder said no luck. Another guy quoted me $600. I’m considering some repair involving jb weld. Not even sure that’s gonna work. Whadayathink?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

2 part putty epoxy and mix some paint to blend the joint. Reinforce the tube with wood dowels going all the way from the legs to the body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

Step one- take 100 pics of that thing because your client is the type to say, "You know that bill looks a little more closed than it did before..."

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

I like the wooden pegs idea, but what happens if they fail from a hit and that thing lands on Fido! you will have even more problems!

It looks like the leg cavity opening is about a 1/2 inch. I would measure it, then buy a brass rod from a metal supplier or Amazon ($10 a piece). Insert each rod into the body and braze it in place. or epoxy them with a high end one. Then set the new rods into the legs using the same "adhesive" method or brazing. if brazing or adhesives are a no go. You can always drill a hole through the structure and the rod at the stubs and pin it with a 1/8" stainless steel rod. Like a mortised and pined wood joint!

Employees suck some times! Sorry man!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

To explore Jim's idea a little more.....
If the leg openings as well as the holes on it's belly are somewhat round and have thick enough walls tap them for pipe thread and screw the legs on with a close pipe nipple.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

how about that fake weld stuff? I repaired a rear view mirror arm with it, the kind you use a torch with.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

this type stuff

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

I had a similar idea using rebar. Jb weld some rebar in the bottom piece. Let it dry. Fill 8” deep end sections of top piece with jb weld and mate the two before the top section is dried. Prepare to do some aesthetics work once it’s solid.

Sounds similar but w wood dowels. Rebar is plentiful in my work so scrapping up 2x6” long pieces of no 4 is not a problem.

I appreciate y’all validating my initial approach. I’ll post w my success/ failure.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

Here is what I would do:

1. Mark where the legs would attach to the underside on the bird.
2. Drill the underside on the marks and install to rivet nuts (nutserts, blind threaded nuts, whatever it’s called in your neck of the woods).
3. Plug the holes in the legs by hammering in some pressure treated wood. Go a couple of inches deep in the hollow leg. Cut the wood insert flush with the top of the legs.
4. Take a bolt that would fit the rivet nut, a couple inches long and cut its head off. Now you have a threaded nut that fits the rivet nut.
5. Drill a hole in the wood plug in the leg and thread in on end of the threaded rod you made by cutting the bolt head.
6. Now you have a leg with a bolt sticking out of it. Thread it in the rivet nut attached to the underside of the body. Done.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

Maybe stuff whatever size brass(if that's even the material), down the legs, and then braise the outside to the inner?

How expensive is an entire replacement bird?

Just an idea. I haven't any experience in that sort of thing.

Good luck
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

I cant see a picture but need to know what this giant bird is.

But maybe give the bird a wheel chair if it aint got no legs
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

Cannot see picture either, why did your employee steal the legs from the art?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

Non-VW photo was removed from the gallery so it went dead

Post it on imgur.com or somewhere
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

I guess we will never know.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

Never seen a bronze flamingo, I’d go ahead and shoot it pink.
Pez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Never seen a bronze flamingo, I’d go ahead and shoot it pink.

Curiosity got the better of me... Apparently a bronze (sadly not pink) can be had for a measley $1300.

https://www.houzz.com/pvp/flamingo-looking-back-br...koQAvD_BwE
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

Is this samba or Facebook ?
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

Erik G, excellent video, thanks for posting this and the link for the rods. I'm impressed this was done with low temp rods without damaging the project. I've never tried it and she sure made it look easy. I guess I'll keep what I break now. Erik G, can you post your work.

Erik G wrote:
how about that fake weld stuff? I repaired a rear view mirror arm with it, the kind you use a torch with.

Link

Erik G wrote:
this type stuff

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

Have client fix it to her satisfaction and send you bill. That’s ends the cycle of dis( re) pair.

Sit down with employee and discuss who is paying what share to mutual satisfaction.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: How would u fix this? Reply with quote

Is it legal to expect my employee to pay for a share of this? Id be more than happy to see this happen. This guy has been on a tare lately. He should be feeling some of this in his wallet. Maybe feeling the pain would end his carelessness.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: