Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

And so it begins... (2234 build)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

I'm just super happy that I had spares! The brass ignition gear was pretty bent up too. Bizarre to me. But whatever. Spares on hand, moving along. Smile

Of course, I still need ACN to ship me my cam and woodruff key for the timing gear.

Baby steps...
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

This is what the ignition gear looked like:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Not really an important question but....
How did it have gears but not a key?

Or perhaps the key was victim to the same techniques as the gears? Shocked
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

The key was there. It welded itself to the crank. Wonder why... hahaha
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

FFS.

Got home last night, finally got a crank woodruff key and started assembling the crank. Got it all together, and test fitting in the case discovered I had put the bearing on backwards.

@!#$(*&@^#(&*^@#$

I was scared to take the circlip off. I'm worried I'll scratch the bearing surface. So I walked away from it last night. Tonight I'll tape the hell out of that bearing surface and get the thing apart.

Sigh.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Eh, screw it. I ordered a pair of proper circlip pliers. The two needle nose, two hands method I used before sucks. Wink
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

For that clip you want something like a Proto #250, anything less beefy or with different style tips is basically going to be useless. Those clips are not exactly easy to remove or install.

Are you using the old clip or did you get a new one?
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
For that clip you want something like a Proto #250, anything less beefy or with different style tips is basically going to be useless. Those clips are not exactly easy to remove or install.

Are you using the old clip or did you get a new one?

Was using the old clip, but now that it's been removed twice, I doubt it'll fit as tightly as before. Sad
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

You might try one of these these https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2385452 I was actually thinking of looking into something like this when I found my old one was sprung. I found some from Mcmaster Carr but never ended up pulling the trigger as I was worried about trying something that hadn't been done before and possible tolerance/fitment issues. I thought I was the first one to have the idea until I saw his ad, lol! I would have just got one of those from him but I didn't see it in time and ended up with new OEM one that worked okay.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Oh, sure. After I order the special pliers for the original style, you show me those!!!!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Oops Anxious I remembered about those too late
Those pliers are still good to have whichever direction you want to go
Heres a link to the OE style clip I used, it fit and works fine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-VW-1600-Engine...890.l49286
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Thanks. I was just going to swing by Pierside Parts at lunch tomorrow. Wink Probably cost 10x that price, but I try to support the local shops when I can.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

with the right pliers, you can install the stock clip over and over without wrecking it.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

It was already a little iffy. Better to spend a few bucks to replace.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Nice... $4 for the new clip. Smile
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Pliers arrived this morning. Made short work of the circlip. Forgot I had jacked my gear puller, so threw it on the vise and welded it with my 110v cheap and cheerful flux core welder. Ground it smooth and pulled the gears off.

Stupid $50 toaster oven I use in the garage decided to die. Probably an internal fuse or something, but I had no patience to fix it. So I put the steel bowl with the gears and some oil on the vise and heated it with MAPP gas to 350*. (Smoking motor oil stinks!)

Dropped them on, everything fit smoothly. Got the new circlip (another reason for a new one I had forgotten about... I managed to not see that the clip was still in place when trying to pull the gears off the old crank. That's how I jacked the puller... Stripped the threads in the post.) on with no problems.

Here's how I broke the puller. This was a couple months ago:

Decided I'd better stop for the night and have a beer before my good luck runs out.
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Damn, haven't kept this thread up...

I ordered new con rods from LJ Aircooled. They sent Chevy journal instead of VW journal. Never responded to emails. Ordered C35 cam from ACN. Backordered for a month, never responded to emails. Canceled that and got it from CarCraft. Ordered new Empi rods from CIP1 just to get friggin moving. Can't use 'em.

It's like NOTHING is going right with this build. NOTHING. Mad Mad Mad
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

That bushing looks ROUGH. That's definitely not acceptable. I'm lucky, I can drive to Crarcraft and actually look at parts before I hand over the cash.

You and me have the same luck. EVERY FRIGGIN TIME I order online, and even from a few vendors on here that are recommended by everyone, I get the ONE effed up part.

Super annoying. I feel your pain.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Definitely bad luck and remember to slow down/have patience. CV19 production delays are crazy.

For cranks - Scat or DPR are my preference

Rods - CB Performance

Cylinders - AA

Pistons - Mahle or Wiseco

Heads - CB Performance (I am running Tim’s Stage 2’s now, but the valves, retainers, keepers, and springs are CB)

Cams - I’ve had Engle, Eagle, Web, and now a CNC Billet cam from Jurgen Nowak. Can’t compare it to others. Web cams are definitely on top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: And so it begins... (2234 build) Reply with quote

Quick video I made about those shitacular rods...

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: