Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

OK guys as I mentioned in another post, I tried removing the foam causing my bug to bubble up the paint on both side of the Crescent side intake vents.

Well completely removing the foam is a big jog and I am use you will not get it all out unless you cut the sides of the car.

So all I was able to do was put a small pipe from the vent into the other end in the engine compartment.

Figured maybe when ever I have time I will to the right job.

SO I take the bug for a ride. Damn it never smelled so bad from the exhaust gases, what did I do.

What I did was make a tunnel for the fumes. The Crescent vents go to the cabin and engine compartment. The fumes now go directly into the cabin from the engine.

So now I will be dealing with the Death foam himself. I will foam close just the part that enters the engine compartment.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

Sorry buddy, I figured you had used the search feature. Razz

I can show you how I handled that on my 60, not sure if will work the same, I've never had a new enough bug to have "vents".
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

Now you finally know why you were getting labor quotes of $2000.

Last edited by [email protected] on Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

There was a guy discussing this just last week: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=752460&highlight=

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

OK Modok show me!!

Gkeeton -- Damn Straight !!

Bugdaddy that was me!!!!
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

dang it now I have to find the camera
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
OK guys as I mentioned in another post, I tried removing the foam causing my bug to bubble up the paint on both side of the Crescent side intake vents.

Well completely removing the foam is a big jog and I am use you will not get it all out unless you cut the sides of the car.

So all I was able to do was put a small pipe from the vent into the other end in the engine compartment.

Figured maybe when ever I have time I will to the right job.

SO I take the bug for a ride. Damn it never smelled so bad from the exhaust gases, what did I do.

What I did was make a tunnel for the fumes. The Crescent vents go to the cabin and engine compartment. The fumes now go directly into the cabin from the engine.

So now I will be dealing with the Death foam himself. I will foam close just the part that enters the engine compartment.

Yes.....those vents...which I am sure you know....are not air vents FROM the outside...they are air vents that pull air from the sides of the rear window...outward.

To be precise...the overall design was so that when you have the front drivers or passengers window cracked just a bit....the air flows up over the roof liner and down teh back window and is supposed to be sucked out the vents.

Its part of a "draft free" ventilation design.

I do not know how well it worked on the beetles but it worked very well on the 411/412 cars.

Here is more about it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=185420

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

Wow Ray that tells it all amazing

That should be required reading for every one on this NG!!!

The Crescent vents are not intakes they are exhaust from the cabin.

Great photo sure if i open a passage to the engine compartment the fumes will come into the car. Especially if you block the Vents that exit the fumes.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

I always thought they were for the heater/defrost. Either way, I think many folks make “pillows” like the older models to stuff in there when they remove the foam. That’s what I did anyway. Search in the bug forum there’s even a post with dimensions on how to make the pillows.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
I always thought they were for the heater/defrost. Either way, I think many folks make “pillows” like the older models to stuff in there when they remove the foam. That’s what I did anyway..

did you knit it from the tufts of the truffula trees?
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

Yep! The very last one
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

has hole? plug with sheetmetal, then no problem
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

I always sorta suspected those vents were there, in part, to make closing the door easier (possible). Laughing

But yeah, sucking air out helps blowing air in, important on a car where only naturally occuring pressures are available to provide fresh-air ventilation. (except the supers with fans).
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

Vw made. A triangle piece of foam covered in some sort of material that slotted into the area behind the window. Accessed from the engine bay.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

GARRICK.CLARK wrote:
Vw made. A triangle piece of foam covered in some sort of material that slotted into the area behind the window. Accessed from the engine bay.

This ^^^^
VW on earlier cars used left over headliner material to make the Triangular pillows. As stated above they were inserted into the "C" pillars from the engine compartment.

I guess VW thought it would be easier/cheaper to use the death foam instead of the pillows.

A friends wife made a replacement set for his 66. Sadly I have lost track of the pic and the friend. Crying or Very sad

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
I always thought they were for the heater/defrost. Either way, I think many folks make “pillows” like the older models to stuff in there when they remove the foam. That’s what I did anyway. Search in the bug forum there’s even a post with dimensions on how to make the pillows.

Yes.....these were part of the defrost and ventilation system. The question i have always had about these vents on the beetle.....is if they actually worked well at all.....as designed.

As I noted....they worked well on the type 4 cars.....the sedans especially. But not quite as well on the wagons. I always wondered why the wagon flow through defrost and vents did not work as well......until the paper board back window duct panel on my 412 two door finally got destroyed. Then the two door system worked poorly as well.

So the gist is that the 411 two and four door sedan came out in 1968 with normal corner vejt windows in front. It had some condensation issues in the back I suppose.....so the next year onward......they got rid of vent wing windows.....and ground a notch into the glass of both driver and passenger side cront door windows.

So when you crack the window just an inch or so.....the air only comes in at,the top and flows through both aides of the headliner.

When you are driving....the two "gills" at the back create a very small suction. They were linked to a "manifold" with slots in it that goes all the way across the rear window from aide to side.

So air comes in the front....over the headliners.....flows down the rear window from top to bottom.....and gets sucked/pushed into the manifold at the bottom of the glass and out the gills.

Its described in the owners manual mainly as a method to create "draft free" ventilation while driving. I'm betting mainly with smokers in mind!

But.....on the wagons.....there was no "manifold" with any volume for holding air.....just a row of slots on each side of the rear glass.....just like the beetles. It did not seem to work well on the wagons....so i suspected it may not have worked well on the beetles either.....but i do not know for sure.

I will try to post some pics later. Ray
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

I wonder if the fact you don't have a headliner in your car is contributing to this?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

Well today I resealed the very end of the foam, that may solve the smell.

Next will be open the Crescent vents. I have two sets of those so I will just swap them out.

Q- dog, good question. I wonder if the the bars that run around the roof that the headliner attach to have opening in the engine compartment and the like you said allow, fumes in??

This whole venting system is totally new to me. I though the vents were intakes.
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

I think it will solve it. Doubt it's as bad with a single centre mount, but with dual dells either side and only inches off the top of the engine bay no wonder it smells, the fumes will go out the air filters and rise up into that opened up area. The inner foam is still better off being gone though.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: No one told me the side effects of removing Death Foam Yipes! Reply with quote

Clark it a no win situation.

Unless I take out the body saw remove some slices of my bug on both sides, trying to get the foam out is really tough. The sides of of the tunnel from the vent to the inside of the engine compartment will have foam wall paper.

Your single barrel carb theory is logical

At the moment I believe if I keep the water out it will slow down the progression. Or even cutting out the visible bubbles and keep my fingers crossed. Then find a shop to match the paint.

That said I want to enjoy the car this summer. Cold winter days await me.

My wife and I stopped off at an Ice cream Store on a main road. In 15 mins.

at least 50 to 70 motorcycles in groups stopped for ice cream or just road by.

New and old bikes and they all smelled like my bug. They were enjoying themselves.

I plugged the two original vent covers with black silicone and ordered stainless steel mesh that I was going to install over the silicone to give it and original open vent look. Lets see how that goes.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: