Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breather Boxes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

Looking at breather boxes. Like the idea of the CB Performance breather that goes on the oil filler. Mainly like the cleaner look of it really. Any opinions on it? Looks like the valve covers vent to the bottom of it? Will it be okay with a crossbar for my IDFS? Pics would be cool too if anyone has a few of what you guys would recommend. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

CB Breather with IDFs and CB Crossbar linkage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My personal engine has a Berg breather.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carguytroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

Both are clean looking installs. If that CB unit is good functionality wise that's the way I'll go. Nice looking engine bays on both of those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

carguytroy wrote:
Both are clean looking installs. If that CB unit is good functionality wise that's the way I'll go. Nice looking engine bays on both of those.

Personally, I like the Berg, which is what's on my personal engine.

The Ghia was built for a customer and he liked the look of the CB. The CB is a 2 piece with a larger gasket. I use Permatex Right Stuff instead and so far no leaks after 4 years.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

CSP makes a great breather box too. Similar to the Berg box.
https://www.csp-shop.com/en/engine/breather-tower-csp-polished-115-451-100gp-24296d.html

BTW Glenn. Nice Ghia engine. I've seen plenty of your 2180 pics. No offense!

And I'll have a few questions for ya in the upcoming weeks. Regarding the jetting of your IDA's.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

I dig this set-up... RB

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
And I'll have a few questions for ya in the upcoming weeks. Regarding the jetting of your IDA's.

All specs are on my website, links in my signature.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

Well that'll save me and you some time chatting back and forth! Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

I like the 356/912 style, berg, csp, they are all basically a copy of the Porsche look.

I made my own. I'm not a huge fan of the geometric type shape. I like the rounded style better. I think Berg makes both styles tho. I built my own mainly cuz I'm cheap Cool

Not a huge fan of the CB/empi breather look, but I do like the simple way it uses baffles.

I have a feeling most work. Dont use AN fittings for the breather hoses as the ID is too small. Just get it for push on hose and use the german cloth stuff that is 17mm ID.
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

Mine doesn't even leak.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

Where do those secondary air hoses lead to?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

Usually the Valve Covers Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

Hey Evan, You can use AN fitting I have -8 coming off the VC's and -12 on the oil filler Wink Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Where do those secondary air hoses lead to?

They come from recirculating blowers under the rear seat.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

Here is a breather I just picked up from Evil Energy. All aluminum, tig welded, very nice quality. An 10 fittings. Going on a Type II, above the battery,on the upper bed rail. Was about $30, found it on another members bus on the Samba. I used an AN 12 to AN 10 barbed adaptor from the Alt stand. There is a drain fitting on the bottom also

croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
carguytroy wrote:

Personally, I like the Berg, which is what's on my personal engine.

The Ghia was built for a customer and he liked the look of the CB. The CB is a 2 piece with a larger gasket. I use Permatex Right Stuff instead and so far no leaks after 4 years.

Buyer's warning about the Berg breather: I prefer the Berg one, but it will not work with a cross-bar linkage like the one CB sells. The breather and the box interfere with each other.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

I used the cb one, Using it as a driver every once in awhile it would come loose, no matter how tight i got it.

Switched to similar style as chris has pictured above, they are on ebay for about $40 with however many fittings you want. I vent crankcase, oil filler, and passenger valve cover with an10 fittings. I put a ball valve drain on the bottom for a easy puke drain. Mounting in front of engine on firewall gets it out of the way and not such a odd thing sticking out like a sore thumb like the cb/berg.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224149229169

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Here is a breather I just picked up from Evil Energy. All aluminum, tig welded, very nice quality. An 10 fittings. Going on a Type II, above the battery,on the upper bed rail. Was about $30, found it on another members bus on the Samba. I used an AN 12 to AN 10 barbed adaptor from the Alt stand. There is a drain fitting on the bottom also

Like this?

dgsaz
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

My ancient BugPack breather. After a few months a few runs start to appear.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Breather Boxes Reply with quote

I have an RLR one on the firewall in my Panel. Nice piece of kit. Works too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: