Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about carpeted trunk liner choices
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Question about carpeted trunk liner choices Reply with quote

I’m wanting to get a carpeted trunk liner for my ‘66 Sedan. Currently I have a stock type cardboard liner.
Does a carpeted line go on top of the cardboard, or does it replace the original?

- What carpeted liner do you have in yours?
- Where did you buy it?
- Fit? Are you happy with it?

Anyone have pics to share?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Stockholm VW on Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about carpeted trunk liner choices Reply with quote

I used sewfine's kit and I'm happy with the fit. The dash cover wasn't part of the kit, I had some left over material from the headliner I used to cover it.

78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Question about carpeted trunk liner choices Reply with quote

I also had a cardboard liner. It was getting old and dingy.

I got some black automotive/marine carpet from Menards. It comes in 6 foot width. I got 4 feet, so a 4x6 foot piece. It looks and feels like the same thing that you find in most new car trunks. It is all polyester to can be washed etc. if needed.

https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-rugs/carpet/...622308.htm

Made a paper template and cut a rough size/shape. Laid it in the trunk and trimmed to fit.

I like the way it looks.

Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Question about carpeted trunk liner choices Reply with quote

I ordered a TMI carpet, myo only issue is the sides don’t stay up. I haven’t figured out how to keep them in place without glue.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Question about carpeted trunk liner choices Reply with quote

https://www.classicvwbugs.com/2021/03/25/classic-vw-bugs-new-carpet-trunk-liners/
Another possible option.
Slow-N-Rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Question about carpeted trunk liner choices Reply with quote

Airstream65 wrote:
I ordered a TMI carpet, myo only issue is the sides don’t stay up. I haven’t figured out how to keep them in place without glue.

Hot glue some small magnets to the back of the carpet along the top edge. Then it will stick to the inner fender but still be removable.

Al
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Question about carpeted trunk liner choices Reply with quote

Airstream65 wrote:

I bought the TMI kit and it’s a nice mat, but I also have the issue with sagging sides. I’m going to try Slow’s below solution. 👍
Stockholm VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Question about carpeted trunk liner choices Reply with quote

Slow-N-Rusty wrote:
Airstream65 wrote:

Hot glue some small magnets to the back of the carpet along the top edge. Then it will stick to the inner fender but still be removable.

Al

Did you do this? If so, what size magnets did you use? Where’d you get them?
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about carpeted trunk liner choices Reply with quote

That’s a good idea on the magnets, I had not put much thought into it!
Slow-N-Rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about carpeted trunk liner choices Reply with quote

Stockholm VW wrote:
Did you do this? If so, what size magnets did you use? Where’d you get them?

Not for a trunk liner specifically but for various other situations where cloth or a panel needed to stay put but still be removable where screws/rivets/etc couldn't be used.

I usually buy them on Amazon. They're referred to as refrigerator magnets on Amazon. They come in different sizes, I have used very small 1/4 inch neodymium magnets that are quite powerful for their size. I would think a few of those every few inches would be more than enough to hold the carpet in place. There are also magnetic strips/tapes with adhesive backs that could be stuck onto the back of the carpet.

Velcro strips would also work in your case. Glue the hook part onto the back of the carpet and glue the loop part into the inner fender well.

Al
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: