Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 Baja - Dark Earth Version
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

The metal dash vents look fantastic. Excellent color choice for a baja in my opinion. I also really like that color choice for the carpet, is it oatmeal? I was thinking of oatmeal for mine. Can I ask what brand or style gave you this difficulty with fit? I'll benefit from your experience if I can say that without being a tool. You made good with it by using that edge in the luggage tray.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
The metal dash vents look fantastic. Excellent color choice for a baja in my opinion. I also really like that color choice for the carpet, is it oatmeal? I was thinking of oatmeal for mine. Can I ask what brand or style gave you this difficulty with fit? I'll benefit from your experience if I can say that without being a tool. You made good with it by using that edge in the luggage tray.

It's a TMI kit in oatmeal tan. It's the same kit as in this video, I believe.

Link

I mean, it's not terrible, but I'm just a little disappointed. It is better than I can do myself though. Anxious

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I bought a sound deadening kit for my heater "Y Tubes". One side has an insulating material ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... and the other side has foil.

I didn't like how the pieces were cut. (shocker, I know Rolling Eyes) The foil side would have been towards the "Y Tubes", leaving the insulation side out. I decided to put the drivers side, pictured on the left, on the passenger side so the insulation would be on the inside. I layed the drivers side over the passenger side and cut a mirror image of it.

I zip tied the drivers side ...

... and the passenger side.

Oh, ... and I installed the windshield. Dancing In 2016 I took the windshield out to replace it and I've been on tangent after tangent since then.

I'm so happy to get the windshield in, I think I'll put that rear carpet snafu in the rear view mirror. Anxious

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

The windshield gasket makes the new paint "pop". Cool

I've been thinking that the foil on the y-tubes might be to keep the fabric part of the insulation from melting (if synthetic) or charring (if natural fibers). Maybe the foil is for heat and the fabric is for sound.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
The windshield gasket makes the new paint "pop". Cool

I've been thinking that the foil on the y-tubes might be to keep the fabric part of the insulation from melting (if synthetic) or charring (if natural fibers). Maybe the foil is for heat and the fabric is for sound.

Ha ha yeah !! I can't wait for some warmer weather so I can start rattle cannin' again.
( I can't believe I'm saying that )

I sure hope the insulation doesn't melt. That would certainly foil my plan. Anxious

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Here's another small update ...

I bought some sun visors and clips.

I bought some screws.

The screws turned out to be bigger than the holes in the body. I ended up buying some stainless #6 x 5/8" "oval head" screws for the visor ...

... and some stainless #6 x 5/8" "truss head" screws for the clips.

The truss head screw holds the clip nicely.

This is merely a nibble out of the elephant. Anxious

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Looks good buddy! I can't wait to see it done!
“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.”
—Matthew 16:24–25
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:
Looks good buddy! I can't wait to see it done!

Thanks man !! Slowly but surely. Anxious

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Now it's time to install the carpet. But first, I installed the sound deadner. The floor was first, and I covered it all with four pieces. Here's the front right.

I had to do the kick panels in pieces due to the curves.

Here's everything I'm going to put down.

Before installing the carpet, I had to clip the main harness down. I had two clips and promptly broke one of them while trying to snap it in place. I noticed there were three holes for clips, so I ordered them.

Now the harness is tucked away all nice.

I made the harness myself. It's covered with some 1/2 inch PET expandable braided sleeving.

It's actually made up of two lengths of braided sleeving. One goes from under the hood to under the back seat and the other goes from under the back seat to the engine compartment.

I didn't go with standard Volkswagen wire colors. The wires in the harness are ...

A Red 10 gauge wire from the alternator to under the back seat
A Red 10 gauge wire from the light switch to under the back seat
A Blue 12 gauge wire from the starter switch to under the back seat
A Red 18 gauge wire from the rear window defogger switch to under the back seat

The rest of the wires go from the dash area to the engine compartment through both braided sleeves. They are...

A Red 16 gauge wire for the brake lights
A Black 16 gauge wire for the ignition coil
A Blue 16 gauge wire for the left turn signal
A Green 16 gauge wire for the right turn signal
A White 16 gauge wire for the left tail light
A Yellow 16 gauge wire for the right tail light
A Blue 18 gauge wire for the oil pressure switch
A Green 18 gauge wire for the alternator light

I basically stayed with the original Volkswagen wiring schematic. I did however add what I call a "dedicated ground". To do this I bought some 5/16"-18 x 1-1/4" "button head" bolts, 5/16" flange nuts, and 5/16" "weld on bungs".

I picked a spot under the dash inside the car and made a circle in some masking tape the size of the washer and sanded it down to bare metal. I also made a circle in some masking tape the size of the weld on bung under the hood and sanded it down to bare metal. I then ran the bolt through the hole bolting the bung near the middle under the hood.

I now have a spot to run ground wires or use for a good ground when testing circuits either inside the car or under the hood.

I made my own schematic using one of the schematics in the archives. I changed the wire colors, wires sizes and circuit numbers to match what I have on the car. It's a work in progress, but here's what I have so far.

Now I can start gluing the carpet down. Anxious

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Does your diagram as shown include the altered wire colors and sizes?

I'm not sure I note any items altered.

I have a similar ground stud in my Baja that I added in the mid 1970s when I re-wired the car from the ground up.

For any following this and thinking of doing the same, I recommend placing that stud closer to the dash than the wiring cover panel.

My dad used to have a variety of sizes of wire brushes that would chuck in a drill, each had a pilot shank that stuck out of the middle of the brush. They were made for that purpose, to remove paint and/or corrosion around a fastener hole in a panel for a ground. He was an aircraft electrician at Lockheed's "SkunkWorks", working on Secret aircraft. But he left Lockheed in 1963 to go to NASA. The wire brushes were gone well before he passed away in 2K. I expect such brushes can be bought now from aircraft supply houses, electrical supplies and such.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Does your diagram as shown include the altered wire colors and sizes?

I'm not sure I note any items altered.

Here's the schematic I based mine off of ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_68_69_usa.jpg

Here's a small comparison ...

The differences are subtle, but they're there. Smile

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Hmmmm...
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

After looking at my schematic comparison closely, the brake light switches were staring at me. I won't be running three two prong switches, I'll be running two three prong switches. So, I went ahead and updated it.

I actually have my schematic saved as a bitmap image with a legend on the side. It's a rather large (3060 x 2568) 22.4 MB file. I just clip these small portions so they stay under the 1600 pixel requirement. I like the bitmap format better because it's crystal clear without all the ghosting and fragmenting that a jpeg leaves. Here's a clip of the update in a png format this time.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I made another topic with this information called "'69 Wiper Switch - '72 Wiper Motor - Dark Earth Version". I decided to delete that topic and just incorporate the information into my build. I don't know what I was thinking. Sorry for the double post.

I decided to go with a '72 wiper motor assembly for my build and bought a used assembly. I wanted to bench test the wiper motor before installing it and noticed the wire colors on the wiper motor didn't match my schematic. I did a search on TheSamba and found that a '69 wiper switch is incompatible with a '72 wiper motor. Or is it ? The '69 switch sends a ground through the 31b wire to park the '69 wiper motor. The '72 wiper motor needs 53 and 53e to be connected to park the motor.

Here's a video that explains how a wiper motor with the park feature works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ww5-pmiokc

Since the '69 wiper switch sends a ground to 31b when the wiper switch is off, I designed a circuit using a relay that connects 53e to 53. I'm sure this has been done many times before by many people for many years. This is just how I did it. There's an internal switch that either connects 53e to 53a or 31 ground.

Basically, If you turn the wiper switch off while the wipers are out of the park position, power is sent to the 53 wire to run the motor on low until it's back in the park position. The motor is then stopped by grounding the 53 wire.

Here's some schematics showing the four different modes the switch & motor can be in.

After bench testing this setup, it works like a champ.

I'll actually be running a purple 53 wire because a black 30 wire and a black 53 wire is confusing to me. I made the change on my schematic as well.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

While messing around with the wiper switch some more, I realized that with the switch off 31 and 31b have continuity AND 30 and 53a have continuity. I also realized that the circuit can be accomplished without a relay. Ugh ... yet another schematic.

I tested this configuration with my 12 volt power supply and it works just as well without the relay. I think this is a more elegant solution. Once I get the wipers installed, I think it's time to move on to something else. I'm getting burned out on the electrical. Anxious

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Another solution, if I decide to run an electric washer motor, (without doing the factory switch mod) is to install a Cole Hersee 75228-03 aftermarket wiper switch. I've read here on TheSamba that it might have clearance issues with the wiper motor assembly and the solution is to swap the wiper switch and light switch positions. I might try this out sometime in the future.

I hope this helps someone else down the road.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

Some year model Bugs have the headlight switch on the left, and the wiper on the right. Others have it reversed. Yours is a 69, right? So, IIRC, you're saying swap the wiper switch from left to right?
Question Question Question

My 58 has headlights left, wipers right.
SoCalBajas Member
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
Some year model Bugs have the headlight switch on the left, and the wiper on the right. Others have it reversed. Yours is a 69, right? So, IIRC, you're saying swap the wiper switch from left to right?
Question Question Question

My 58 has headlights left, wipers right.

Yeah, in the topic I read, he said he had to switch his wiper switch from left to right.

Here's the link ...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7027650

His wiper switch looks bigger than the one I'm talking about though. I haven't even installed my wiper mechanism to see what he's talking about. I'm still painting. Rolling Eyes

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

I'm having a small problem with windshield wiper parts, so I decided to do something different.

I bought a 19mm red halo led push button switch. I'll be using it as a "Brake Warning Light".

I don't know if you can see it, but the pin on the left is the positive pin for the led and the pin on the right is the negative ground. These pins are only used for the led.

The bottom pin is labeled "C" for common. I'll run a 12 volt key powered wire to it. The middle pin is normally open. I'll connect this pin to the left positive led pin.

If I press the button, the light should come on. This double checks to see if the the warning light actually works. The stock brake warning light has this feature, so I wanted it too.

If I lose pressure to either the front or back chambers of the master cylinder, 12 volts will be sent to the left positive led pin from the brake light switches and the led will light up just like the stock brake warning light.

I had to file a very slight "flat" on the threads to get it into the hole in the dash.

Some say if you don't know you've lost half your braking system, you probably shouldn't be driving, but at least I got the hole plugged. Anxious

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '69 Baja - Dark Earth Version Reply with quote

what are you using for making your wiring schems?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: