Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve Adjustment Woes
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

I’m having a real tough time here... my bug ran okay, but broke down when I was cruising. Couldn’t get the thing to start again. Put in new plugs, wires, coil, and reset timing and it started but ran rough so I decided to adjust the valves. Pretty simple, get ‘me set to .006 and everything is good. Go to start and it tries, starts firing and dies. Makes a noise too, like I can hear air rushing out. Any ideas? I should note that 1-2 cylinders had zero play and needed adjustment while 3-4 were basically good needing minor adjustment.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
steviewde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

Perhaps you can decribe HOW your bug broke down.
Did it stop immedialtely? Silent or loud?

the "Stevie"
"Sparkäfer", 1973
Karmann Coupé 1966
VW1302S, 1971
VW1303S, 1973
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

I was going along at about 50 then it just started losing acceleration. Pulled over and couldn’t get it to start again. Honestly think I overheated it because I’m an idiot and the fan shroud things had been open Brick wall .
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I’m having a real tough time here... my bug ran okay, but broke down when I was cruising. Couldn’t get the thing to start again. Put in new plugs, wires, coil, and reset timing and it started but ran rough so I decided to adjust the valves. Pretty simple, get ‘me set to .006 and everything is good. Go to start and it tries, starts firing and dies. Makes a noise too, like I can hear air rushing out. Any ideas? I should note that 1-2 cylinders had zero play and needed adjustment while 3-4 were basically good needing minor adjustment.

This is suspect.
Make sure that you are at TDC for the #1 cylinder. Then run through valve lash adjustment again.
If you have to. Remove the crank pulley bolt and verify the keyway is pointing toward the 9:00 position while the pulley is at TDC for #1.

What the above description says to me is. You started your adjustment at TDC for the #3 cylinder.
But as always. I could be wrong on this. I'm not there to witness what you have done.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

The sound of air rushing out sounds like you might have a stuck or bent valve, ie, lost compression. Doublecheck the height of the valve springs and clearances.
steviewde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
The sound of air rushing out sounds like you might have a stuck or bent valve, ie, lost compression. Doublecheck the height of the valve springs and clearances.

... this was my first idea, too, as I read it.
Overheated, burnt valve.
.... perhaps ...

the "Stevie"
"Sparkäfer", 1973
Karmann Coupé 1966
VW1302S, 1971
VW1303S, 1973
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

Do a compression test.
If its low go to parts store and buy a couple cans of compression.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

Well, I've got it running. Doesn't sound awful. Went through the valve adjust process again and all was well. Tightened up a couple that were too loose from my first go. Will still do a compression check. Now my problem is the carb, the accelerator pump won't pump so I can't give it gas. Gonna replace it as I've rebuilt it and no dice.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Now my problem is the carb, the accelerator pump won't pump so I can't give it gas. Gonna replace it as I've rebuilt it and no dice.

Just take the carb apart and clean it again. Then next day clean it again. Helps a lot to soak it over night each time in a 1 gallon can of Berryman's carb cleaner. Found long ago that cleaning a carb usually loosens up crud, but does not get it out. Cleaning it twice more does the trick.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Now my problem is the carb, the accelerator pump won't pump so I can't give it gas. Gonna replace it as I've rebuilt it and no dice.

Just take the carb apart and clean it again. Then next day clean it again. Helps a lot to soak it over night each time in a 1 gallon can of Berryman's carb cleaner. Found long ago that cleaning a carb usually loosens up crud, but does not get it out. Cleaning it twice more does the trick.
It's been through an ultrasonic Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
It's been through an ultrasonic Laughing

Then do it again.

Also do post images of the engine. That way all of us here can point out any obvious problems.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

Send it off to volkzbitz he'll make better than new, he does the bushings, they wear out and rebuild kits dont do it..wise investment...get your same carb back. Just an fyi

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

Right so here’s the current state. My buddy gave me a Bocar H30/31. Put it on and it starts good. My current carb was a 30 pict-2, so if I buy anything from Tim it’s gonna be the correct carb for a ‘67. Engine was still smoking so I retorqued the head, all bolts were loose, reset the valves, and then it fired right up. Runs okay IMO. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

Hopefully you retorqued all eight nuts on the one head. Otherwise it can tilt.

If you take the engine down to a long block it is far better to retorque the engine case fasteners first in same sequence as if one is building an engine. Then torque all the head nuts. It is amazing how loose all of those can get.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

Well, you’ll see me in a new thread soon.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First time dropping an engine, 1 hour.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
First time dropping an engine, 1 hour.

Awesome!! Just do take your time when putting it back in....
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

While you got it out I’d turn the generator to correct position.
Never heard of rebuilding a carb three times but I did know a guy that turned light switch on off 3 times when he entered a room. 😀
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Adjustment Woes Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
While you got it out I’d turn the generator to correct position.
Never heard of rebuilding a carb three times but I did know a guy that turned light switch on off 3 times when he entered a room. 😀
While it's out I'm doing everything I can to not take it out for a while. Inspecting clutch, looks new to me, paint/ repair tins, new engine seals. Basically going to strip to a long block and see what's wrong with the head. When I checked the valves again last night they had tightened up on the 1-2 side again so my pre-inspection thought is the head studs are pulling out. That put me over the edge and I dropped the motor Laughing
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: